Option to buy a Headlease: is the property right secure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option to buy a Headlease: is the property right secure?

This is an unusual situation. I purchased an option to buy a 999 year Head Lease subject to a short under lease with 50 years to reversion. The option can be exercised at any time and upon exercising, the pre-drafted Headlease comes into existence, sitting inbetween the Freehold and the short Leasehold, with the benefit of the latter's reversion. Thus it effectively has the same economic value as the Headlease it refers to, but with the advantage of being easier to transfer (assign), similar to an SPV. It is mentioned in the Freehold title in the land registry. My solicitor is concerned however that without actually exercising the option and creating the Headlease, there's nothing preventing the freeholder from granting a lease extension to the leaseholder, thus reducing the entire value of the option/headlease to next to nothing. He doesn't say that this is definitely the case, but that he can't guarantee that it's not the case. So the solution to secure my property rights would be to exercise the option immediately upon completion of the option purchase and then own the Headlease. I would/will do that if needed, however if it can be avoided without putting property rights at risk I would prefer to keep the option unexercised, as a) I would save the cost of exercising/registering the headlease, b) it would make it easier to sell it in the future, c) avoids the hassle of collecting the service charge from the leaseholder and passing it to the freeholder. I would therefore be interested in hearing from others. I have obviously already hired a conveyancing solicitor for this, so any ideas/free advice will be passed on to him but if there is scope to work with someone else in a professional capacity, they will probably need to coordinate or have the case transferred, so that's something to keep in mind. Thanks in advance.

The leaseholder has the legal right to seek a statutory 90 years lease extension from the freeholder, if there is no headlessee.

The Land Registry will show for your post code address; the name of holder of freehold title and name of holder of leasehold title.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      The leaseholder has the legal right to seek a statutory 90 years lease extension from the freeholder, if there is no headlessee.
      The question is whether the option for the headlease counts as a headlease for this purpose

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of variation
        Lizey
        Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed...
        23-05-2019, 17:07 PM
      • Reply to Deed of variation
        Lawcruncher
        In that case ask the conveyancer who acted why he did not make sure the DoV was registered. You can also ask him if he has it.
        25-05-2019, 08:13 AM
        Lizey
        Hi. It was executed before I purchased the flat, about 17 years before
        25-05-2019, 07:45 AM
        Lawcruncher
        Was the deed of variation executed before or after you bought? Whichever it was, were you legally represented?
        24-05-2019, 16:40 PM
        Lizey
        Hi thank you for replying. The problem is I only have a photocopy of the DoV and I have gone back to the solicitors who wrote the deed, who have since been taken over by another solicitors, and they have confirmed they dont have any records relating to this and have checked all the previous solicitors...
        24-05-2019, 16:03 PM
        Tipper
        Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.
        23-05-2019, 17:36 PM
      • Absent freehold beneficiaries?
        Mat1
        Hi guys, new poster here so forgive me if I get my terms mixed up!

I have just made an offer on a ground floor flat in a block of 3. A,B and C. Sold as Share of Freehold, no company. We'll call this flat A.

The owner of flat B died in 2015. The "residue"...
        16-05-2019, 19:45 PM
      • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
        leaseholder64
        If the Land Registry has not updated, it will be held in trust by the executors. The combination of the will and the Land Registry entry should be all that is necessary.

Note, that they should be paying the ground rent and service charges. Once they have probate, they no longer have any...
        17-05-2019, 09:36 AM
      • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
        Mat1
        Is there any way to find out if this is the case (held in trust by the nephews)?

Assuming this is the case I can't imagine they are particularly incentivised to get this sorted, they had their part of the inheritance 2 years ago....
        17-05-2019, 08:33 AM
      • Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
        mrs. sparkle
        Recently purchased an auction property and the lender I am obtaining bridging finance from requires a solicitor to represent them from their panel.

What I wanted to know is whether it is okay for the lenders solicitor to also represent me the purchaser?

Someone mentioned to...
        16-05-2019, 12:47 PM
      Working...
      X