Communal area (corridor) added by mistake to original lease floor plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communal area (corridor) added by mistake to original lease floor plan

Hi there, I hope that someone will be able to help me. I just bough a flat (leasehold), there is a tiny corridor leading to my flat door that only I use to be able to get into my flat. It is not shared with anyone but is part of the common parts. The corridor was by mistake included in the floor plan attached to the lease. Before I exchanged my solicitor asked me to look at the map on LR and to confirm to I was happy with it. I was and I still am, as the flat shown on LR is the correct flat and the corridor is so small that it would not show on LR. The freeholder contacted me a few days ago saying that they have noticed a mistake on the floor plan and they are asking for 1500 to put things right, and they also say I should speak to a lawyer to prepare a deed of variation. The thing is the floor plan attached to the lease dates back 2012 when the block of flats was first built. It have never been picked up by anyone until now, and I am not even and would never be claiming rights over the corridor as it forms part of the common parts. Do I have any claim at all against the seller whom I am sure knew about this but did not say anything? Also is it the responsibility of the leaseholder or of the freeholder or both to amend the floor plan? Finally does it have to be changed? I am thinking no future buyer would ever think that the corridor leading to their flat belongs to them? Thanks for your help, I have already spent so much for the conveyancing I would like to limit any unnecessary future costs. Thanks, Charlotte

Hmm. It's the freeholder that cocked up, and he wants you to pay to rectify his error? Tell him to go to hell IIWY.

Comment

Yes in my view it is the freeholder responsibility here not mine as the plan has always been wrong, but I do not know if I have a legal angle to back me up? Thanks for your help

Comment

I guess the only downside is that you may have to decorate the lobby & re-carpet it.

Comment

Sorry what do you mean? The lobby is already being managed by the freeholder. A cleaning lady comes a very week to to vacuum etc
          Do you think I would be in my right to write back and explain that it is their responsibility to amend the lease not mine? Thanks

Comment

Is the area in question included in the red edging on the Land Registry plan?

How many square feet is the area in question?

Comment

I think it is but I am.not really sure - the LR plan is so not precise. I remember writing to my solicitor at the time saying that I could not confirm the LR plan was accurate as the boundaries were not that clear cut. She said it does not matter and all that matter is that I recognise the building and the plot. The area is probably like 2 square metres.

Comment

What seems wrong at the moment is that they want me to bear all responsibility when clearly the original plan was simply wrong. But I just don't do what my legal arguments are. Right now I feel that I am relying mainly on common sense and I would like something more robust. Thanks for your help

Comment

This sounds like a protected lobby for fire safety purposes, in which case the freeholder really does need to control it (and any carpet would have to be fire resisting).

That fact might tend to hint that lease intended it to be part of the communal area.

Comment

In this case I am not sure that we can go much further than common sense. Your solicitor's observation that "it does not matter and all that matters is that I recognise the building and the plot" if not quite the case, reflects the reality that legal plans rarely show precise boundaries. There is no case or statute you can quote to the landlord. You are not in breach of any covenant and have not engaged in any wrongdoing so there is no question of any obligation on you to do anything. The suggestion you should pay him a premium for putting the matter right is preposterous.

I think the attitude to take is to tell the landlord that you are happy to concede that the area in question is not included in your demise. However, since the area is so small you consider the whole thing to be de minimis and not in need of correction. You are therefore not prepared to incur any expense in connection with it and certainly are not going to pay him a premium. Go on to say that if he really wants to correct the position you are happy to execute any necessary document so long as he pays your legal expenses including Land Registry fees.

Comment

Ok that is very helpful. I think that is the approach I will take. Thanks for posting me in the right direction. I am not looking to have any possession of that lobby of course and I feel that if they really want to amend the plans they should do it themselves as the mistake originated from them. I think as I clearly do not have any exclusive possession of the area there is any risk from the freeholder perspective that me or any future buyer would claim ownership of that lobby. I will see what they say... Thanks again everyone for your help

Comment

They are probably worried that you, or a future tenant, might try to subsume the corridor as part of the flat.

There was a thread about someone doing that fairly recently:
                        https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ndary-question

But that's their problem and if you haven't done that then I don't see any reason why you should be asked to pay towards sorting out their error.

Comment

Thanks for sending the link to that thread - it is very helpful. I think you are spot on. I am not trying to claim that the lobby is mine, and I have not put any lock or anything on the door leading to the lobby. I am more than happy for them to amend the lease but not at my own cost basically. Fingers crossed they will think along the same lines (but I doubt they will )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of variation
                            Lizey
                            Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed...
                            23-05-2019, 17:07 PM
                          • Reply to Deed of variation
                            Tipper
                            Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.
                            23-05-2019, 17:36 PM
                          • Absent freehold beneficiaries?
                            Mat1
                            Hi guys, new poster here so forgive me if I get my terms mixed up!

I have just made an offer on a ground floor flat in a block of 3. A,B and C. Sold as Share of Freehold, no company. We'll call this flat A.

The owner of flat B died in 2015. The "residue"...
                            16-05-2019, 19:45 PM
                          • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
                            leaseholder64
                            If the Land Registry has not updated, it will be held in trust by the executors. The combination of the will and the Land Registry entry should be all that is necessary.

Note, that they should be paying the ground rent and service charges. Once they have probate, they no longer have any...
                            17-05-2019, 09:36 AM
                            Mat1
                            Is there any way to find out if this is the case (held in trust by the nephews)?

Assuming this is the case I can't imagine they are particularly incentivised to get this sorted, they had their part of the inheritance 2 years ago....
                            17-05-2019, 08:33 AM
                          • Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
                            mrs. sparkle
                            Recently purchased an auction property and the lender I am obtaining bridging finance from requires a solicitor to represent them from their panel.

What I wanted to know is whether it is okay for the lenders solicitor to also represent me the purchaser?

Someone mentioned to...
                            16-05-2019, 12:47 PM
                          • Reply to Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
                            mrs. sparkle
                            Thanks guys
                            17-05-2019, 02:46 AM
                            Jon66
                            Yes agree with leaseholder, still held by the executors pending an agreement by all beneficiaries to sell and monies distributed equally. Getting 17 organisations to agree is going to take a while . . .
                            16-05-2019, 22:07 PM
                            leaseholder64
                            Sounds like the executors have made a mess of this.

I would have thought the share of the freehold and the share of the lease are still held in trust by the executors.
                            16-05-2019, 21:51 PM
                          • Reply to Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
                            Lawcruncher
                            The main point is that both purchaser and lender want the same thing: a property with a good and marketable title. A conflict of interest only arises if the lawyer finds something he does not like and the purchaser instructs him not to tell the lender. If that happens and the purchaser persists in the...
                            16-05-2019, 21:47 PM
                          Working...
                          X