Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold Management Company

Dear all,

In 2002 I purchased a large building which was split into 6 flats.

Each flat has their owns council tax, gas and electricity charge with one communal water meter to the building, and a single insurance bill.

As we all know tenanting has its ups and downs, and ‘LandlordZONE’ has been a great assistance.

I have never pushed for the highest rents preferring higher standard tenants, so as a business not worth as much as it could be, consequently current thinking is to create separate titles, and sell as individual flats, possibly one per Capital Gains Tax year, also keeping my remaining loyal tenants housed too.

My intention is to create 6 freehold flats and eventually sell each with a fair and proportionate say on repair and maintenance, as I would want if I were to buy one.

I gather that I need to set up a ‘Freehold Management Company’ of sorts to organise communal costs, currently charged totally to me.

On line I am just coming up with tenant occupied set-ups, (i.e. RICS 3rd edition is for landlords, leaseholders and agents.)

I do want to attract buyers as well as keep existing tenants, but when they do leave it will be refit and sell as and when.

Please could you direct me towards any relevant advice please regarding, to name but a few, :-

Do I have to be limited? - is it best or best not to?

What are my obligations with regard to filing and accountability?

Voting rights.

Are voting rights per flat or as per percentage of ownership (not all flats are the same size)

Currently insurance covers full occupancy, with strict monitoring of vacant units. If I sell as a holiday home, which is quite likely, will there be a premium increase, and can I apportion charge accordingly to that flat?

And most important of all

Is “Conveyancing Questions” the right place to post this problem. Please do tell me to move and I will.

Thanks in anticipation.

TT

My understanding is that freehold flats are almost impossible to mortgage.

You need a serious amount of professional advice. As such, I think providing a lot of advice here would be a disservice, as it might encourage you to skip the professional advice.

The RICS guide talks about tenants because leaseholders are tenants, and you will almost certainly need to make these flats leasehold, not freehold. However the RICS guide does not cover business uses, like holiday lets.

Comment

Sorry, leaseholder64

I am a mere novice.

I think what I should have said, and please correct me if I am wrong,

Six separate titles, six separate flats and shares in the freehold.? The intention being to ensure that all do have a fair voice, unlike some of the horror stories on here.

I am not trying to cut corners at all, but just doing as much research as I can, r.e. Management Company, before I do sit down in a Solicitors or Accountant’s office.

This site has directed me to current Insurance Brokers in the past and is generally my first point of reference.

Thanks and I look forward to any assistance.

Comment

The only way of having six people share the freehold is to form a residents' management company and make them members. The flats are then held under leasehold.

The lease and the company articles need to interlock to ensure that membership of the company follows ownership of the leasehold interest.

These things are very easy for even lawyers to get wrong, and quite a lot of threads here are about the aftermath of share of the freehold arrangements that have gone wrong.

The company has a separate existence from the leaseholder, although owned by them, and is the landlord of the leaseholders.

The term "share of the freehold" is estate agent speak, not a legal concept, and can be implemented in other ways when there are four or less flats.

Incidentally, I hope you realise that you are responsible for the health and safety of the communal areas, even with the current arrangement.

Comment

I’m learning.

Residents management company? - would that have to be a limited company, as I have read some are, or is the limited status optional.?

I don’t doubt that it could be problematic, hence I am trying to do my homework – is there such thing as a gov.uk or rics link to something specific – failing which what should I search for on here – previously I had tried but couldn’t find anything specific.

Responsible for the H @ S of communal areas? Is that any different to as is for tenants? Is it insurable or a standard cover on an insurance policy? Basically any further warnings? All gratefully received.

Thanks again.

Comment

RMCs have no specific legal status, so they could have unlimited liability. However I very much doubt anyone has ever gone that way.

As I think you need it to own the freehold, it will have to be registered, so making it limited liability, being the normal case, is likely to be easier.

However, I repeat that you need professional advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of variation
              Lizey
              Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed...
              23-05-2019, 17:07 PM
            • Reply to Deed of variation
              Tipper
              Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.
              23-05-2019, 17:36 PM
            • Absent freehold beneficiaries?
              Mat1
              Hi guys, new poster here so forgive me if I get my terms mixed up!

I have just made an offer on a ground floor flat in a block of 3. A,B and C. Sold as Share of Freehold, no company. We'll call this flat A.

The owner of flat B died in 2015. The "residue"...
              16-05-2019, 19:45 PM
            • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
              leaseholder64
              If the Land Registry has not updated, it will be held in trust by the executors. The combination of the will and the Land Registry entry should be all that is necessary.

Note, that they should be paying the ground rent and service charges. Once they have probate, they no longer have any...
              17-05-2019, 09:36 AM
              Mat1
              Is there any way to find out if this is the case (held in trust by the nephews)?

Assuming this is the case I can't imagine they are particularly incentivised to get this sorted, they had their part of the inheritance 2 years ago....
              17-05-2019, 08:33 AM
            • Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
              mrs. sparkle
              Recently purchased an auction property and the lender I am obtaining bridging finance from requires a solicitor to represent them from their panel.

What I wanted to know is whether it is okay for the lenders solicitor to also represent me the purchaser?

Someone mentioned to...
              16-05-2019, 12:47 PM
            • Reply to Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
              mrs. sparkle
              Thanks guys
              17-05-2019, 02:46 AM
              Jon66
              Yes agree with leaseholder, still held by the executors pending an agreement by all beneficiaries to sell and monies distributed equally. Getting 17 organisations to agree is going to take a while . . .
              16-05-2019, 22:07 PM
              leaseholder64
              Sounds like the executors have made a mess of this.

I would have thought the share of the freehold and the share of the lease are still held in trust by the executors.
              16-05-2019, 21:51 PM
            • Reply to Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
              Lawcruncher
              The main point is that both purchaser and lender want the same thing: a property with a good and marketable title. A conflict of interest only arises if the lawyer finds something he does not like and the purchaser instructs him not to tell the lender. If that happens and the purchaser persists in the...
              16-05-2019, 21:47 PM
            Working...
            X