sale stuck on issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sale stuck on issue

our flat sale is stuck, if anyone can read this and come up with a solution/ideas I'd be very grateful. The buyers of our flat raised a query very late in the day about skylights in the property. we own a top floor flat. there are two skylights - one inside the top floor flat we own and one in the communal stairway - the buyer wants confirmation from the freeholder that they don't object to the skylights. however, the freeholder is uncontactable - no answer to phone or emails for more than a week. Last time management agent heard from freeholder was at Christmas.
    No one knows when the skylights were installed although it was likely it was when the development was converted to flats nearly 20 years ago. I have found evidence from estate agent that they've been there for the very least 6 years. I have approached the council asking for any plans but haven't heard anything. apparently an indemnity policy would be hard to get now because the question has been asked to the freeholder. I very much do not believe that the freeholder would have any objection to the skylights,and even if she did, there would be no reasonable grounds for the objection because the communal skylight provides access to the roof of the building, and the bathroom skylight provides ventilation, i.e. the skylights are necessary. however the buyers are wanting to completely protect themselves and are insisting on hearing from the freeholder before proceeding... any suggestions to get through this situation ? many thanks

Find a less awkward buyer. (Seriously.) You may need to instriuct a different estate agent though, as your existing one will want his commission with this buyer.

Comment

~If YOU can't even contact the freeholder, then no one can, and you wont be able to sell you flat.
      As without the freeholder answering questions on service charges etc - no one will want to buy.

see http://ram2.hostbyet2.com/ and click on selling.doc

Comment

Agree with find a less awkward buyer. However as there is an agent they can answer most questions, they could possibly give an answer on the skylights but may not wish to take on that responsibility.

Comment

Make a visit to last known address of the freeholder with a "no-objection letter" for her to sign and offer to pay her £200 for signing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold transfer % question
            Kerbec
            I own one of 3 apartments in a building. the freehold of the property is owned / shared by the 3 apartment owners. One owner is selling his apartment and I have been asked by his conveyancer to sign the TR1 form to update the list of the freeholders. I noticed the buyer will have 2 names (presumably...
            10-06-2019, 03:21 AM
          • Reply to Freehold transfer % question
            Lawcruncher
            You're welcome.
            15-06-2019, 14:26 PM
            Kerbec
            great stuff. I had to read it a few times to understand it. thanks v much and really appreciate it....
            15-06-2019, 12:55 PM
            Lawcruncher
            When it comes to ownership of land by more than one person you have to distinguish two different things. One is the legal ownership and the other the equitable or beneficial ownership. In the case of registered land (and ignoring exceptions not relevant to this thread) the legal owners are the persons...
            14-06-2019, 20:51 PM
            Kerbec
            thank you so much for the detailed explanation. My neighbour(seller)'s solicitor has come back and said they would add additional clauses to section 10. While I am waiting for the revised TR1, just want to understand if what you put down in section 11 is absolutely necessary or just better/more complete...
            14-06-2019, 11:42 AM
            Kerbec
            Gordon999,

yeah I agree. when I received the TR1 form from the seller's conveyancer, I thought it looked a bit funny (suspect it was prepared by a junor staff). After watching a vid from the land registry regarding the TR1, I realised it might not have been correctly filled in so started...
            14-06-2019, 11:25 AM
            Lawcruncher
            The transfer is way off.

Each section should be completed as follows:

1. The title number of the freehold property

2. The description of the freehold property

3. -

4. The names of all the current freeholders i.e the registered proprietors...
            13-06-2019, 10:14 AM
            Gordon999
            I believe there should separate LR title numbers for one " leasehold title for sale flat" and one "freehold title for the entire building"

(a) The TR1 form for transfer of leasehold title shows name of " Transferor" ( seller) and "Transferee"(buyer...
            13-06-2019, 00:42 AM
            Kerbec
            thx. I will make this suggestion and see what they say.
            11-06-2019, 10:21 AM
            leaseholder64
            You could also suggest that only one of the buyers becomes party to the freehold.
            11-06-2019, 09:50 AM
          Working...
          X