Is a small shared house a "single private dwellinghouse" for covenant purposes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    I think I've found my answer: in Roberts v Howlett [2002] 1 P&CR 19 letting a house to a pre-formed group of four students was held not to be a breach of an identical covenant. This still appears to be the leading case on this question. If I've missed something, however, I'd be keen to hear it.

Leave a comment:

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    (PS I just realised this is more a conveyancing question than a planning question -- any mods around should feel free to move the thread)

Leave a comment:

• Is a small shared house a "single private dwellinghouse" for covenant purposes?

I am thinking of buying a house (in England) which I would let as a small shared house to a pre-formed groups friends on a single joint and several AST.

It is an ex-council house and is subject to the standard restrictive covenant "...not to use the property otherwise than for the purpose of a single private dwellinghouse..." which gets slapped on to all council properties upon their sale via right to buy.

My understanding from a quick Google is that this would prevent me from letting the property to groups of strangers on a room-by-room basis, but letting to a small group of friends on a single joint and several AST does fall within the definition of a "single private dwellinghouse" in the context of a restrictive covenant (and other contexts in which the term "single private dwellinghouse" might appear, for example in relation to C3/C4 planning use class or the Housing Act 2004, are not necessarily relevant to the interpretation of this covenant). Am I correct?

(In case it makes any difference, it has been let by the previous owner as a small shared house for at least 10 years without any enforcement taking place, and the council is aware of this as it has issued both an HMO licence under an additional licensing scheme and a Certificate of Existing Lawful Use or Development showing it has C4 use class status).

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freehold enfranchisement
    by shaltout
    Thanks, LIP,

I may agree with you if developers are well known, creditworthy and ready to provide answers to basic due diligence questions.

There is also the unknown risks one could be exposed to which are endless.

I'm actually actively thinking of selling the...
    23-02-2020, 13:22 PM
  • Freehold enfranchisement
    by shaltout
    I bought the leasehold of an ex-council flat in a block of 12 units, my lease term has 95 years remaining.

I and the other leaseholders have been approached by an investor/ developer to arrange to buy the freehold of the block from the council on behalf of the leaseholders, pay legal fees,...
    21-02-2020, 14:53 PM
  • Original Lease Unavailable
    by wolvaughan
    I’m currently selling a shared ownership property, the buyer is purchasing the whole flat and I’ll be staircasing to 100% on the day of sale.

The Buyer wants an original copy of my lease, nobody has one but the Land Registry does have a copy with a red lined title plan.
    03-02-2020, 12:29 PM
  • Reply to Original Lease Unavailable
    by Lawcruncher
    What was dematerialised was the register. The register, both before and after dematerialisation, is the title to the property. The original documents cannot, and never could, be used to prove title, but that does not mean they cannot be produced in evidence in a case which does not involve proving title....
    23-02-2020, 08:54 AM
  • Reply to selling of property question
    by Protoknight25
    Provided your name is on the title register has an owner (registered proprietor) any sale of the property would need your involvement.

The property belongs to you (in part) and you need to sign any papers transferring the property. Any solicitor buying or selling such property, would...
    23-02-2020, 08:20 AM
  • selling of property question
    by Bill31
    If a sibling was to sell a property and my names was on the deeds, can they sell it without me knowing?
    or would the solicitor pick up on this and advise them another person is on the deeds?
    26-11-2019, 07:07 AM
  • Reply to Where does one find a solicitor that can provide Independant Legal Advice?
    by Protoknight25
    Reason a lot of them do not like offering independent legal advice, as it is more liability than a consultation, but far less profitable than a full transaction.

I know a chap in central London you can do it for £400 plus VAT....
    23-02-2020, 08:16 AM
  • Where does one find a solicitor that can provide Independant Legal Advice?
    by beccajohnson
    I am undergoing the remortgage of a property purchased in a company name

As part of the process the solicitor has informed me that the lender wants me to obtain 'Independant legal advice' from another solicitor. The 'independant solicitor would have to sign off on a related document too....
    31-01-2020, 14:08 PM
  • Reply to Original Lease Unavailable
    by Protoknight25
    You get this sometimes with some people.

Since dematerialisation in 2002, the actual hardcopy papers are useful but not legally binding. The legal lease is whatever HM Land Registry has stored.

If the lease is registered at HM land registry, that’ll be fine....
    23-02-2020, 08:14 AM
  • Reply to Freehold enfranchisement
    by LJP
    Whilst I agree that the long term costs of helping the developer to acquire the freehold are likely to far outweigh the benefit of the £5k sweetener being offered now, is the developer actually looking to acquire the freehold for itself?

Shaltout refers in post 1 to an undertaking to 'sell...
    22-02-2020, 22:21 PM
Working...
X