Legal fees for creating a new residential lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal fees for creating a new residential lease

Hi, just curious to know if there is such a thing as average legal fees for creating a new residential lease. I've been quoted £1500 + vat which seems quite high? I trust the firm as they have worked for us a number of times but normally as freeholder so the leaseholder pays fees..... Any advice much appreciated! Thanks

Not quite clear from your post what is involved. May we have a little more detail?

Comment

Hi, thx for replying. We own freehold property which is split into a residential flat above a commerical property below. We need to raise a mortgage on the residential part and in order to do this need to issue a new lease. I understand the registration fees etc which are payable to the land registry but was just curious if the £1500 + vat quoted was a fairly standard fee for drawing up a new lease. Thx

Comment

I would say it was over the top. All that is needed is to draw up the lease and register it. It is not a full conveyancing transaction where they have to make enquiries, negotiate a contract, correspond with another firm and report to you. The solicitor should have a basic lease on tap which he can adjust according to the circumstances of your case. So, whilst the lease should be tailor-made, it should not that much of a one off.

Comment

Thx for the reply - the more I think about it the more I think it is too much too - way more than the fee for a straightforward conveyancing transaction anyway!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of variation
            Lizey
            Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed...
            23-05-2019, 17:07 PM
          • Reply to Deed of variation
            Lawcruncher
            In that case ask the conveyancer who acted why he did not make sure the DoV was registered. You can also ask him if he has it.
            25-05-2019, 08:13 AM
            Lizey
            Hi. It was executed before I purchased the flat, about 17 years before
            25-05-2019, 07:45 AM
            Lawcruncher
            Was the deed of variation executed before or after you bought? Whichever it was, were you legally represented?
            24-05-2019, 16:40 PM
            Lizey
            Hi thank you for replying. The problem is I only have a photocopy of the DoV and I have gone back to the solicitors who wrote the deed, who have since been taken over by another solicitors, and they have confirmed they dont have any records relating to this and have checked all the previous solicitors...
            24-05-2019, 16:03 PM
            Tipper
            Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.
            23-05-2019, 17:36 PM
          • Absent freehold beneficiaries?
            Mat1
            Hi guys, new poster here so forgive me if I get my terms mixed up!

I have just made an offer on a ground floor flat in a block of 3. A,B and C. Sold as Share of Freehold, no company. We'll call this flat A.

The owner of flat B died in 2015. The "residue"...
            16-05-2019, 19:45 PM
          • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
            leaseholder64
            If the Land Registry has not updated, it will be held in trust by the executors. The combination of the will and the Land Registry entry should be all that is necessary.

Note, that they should be paying the ground rent and service charges. Once they have probate, they no longer have any...
            17-05-2019, 09:36 AM
          • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
            Mat1
            Is there any way to find out if this is the case (held in trust by the nephews)?

Assuming this is the case I can't imagine they are particularly incentivised to get this sorted, they had their part of the inheritance 2 years ago....
            17-05-2019, 08:33 AM
          • Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
            mrs. sparkle
            Recently purchased an auction property and the lender I am obtaining bridging finance from requires a solicitor to represent them from their panel.

What I wanted to know is whether it is okay for the lenders solicitor to also represent me the purchaser?

Someone mentioned to...
            16-05-2019, 12:47 PM
          Working...
          X