Legal fees for creating a new residential lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal fees for creating a new residential lease

Hi, just curious to know if there is such a thing as average legal fees for creating a new residential lease. I've been quoted £1500 + vat which seems quite high? I trust the firm as they have worked for us a number of times but normally as freeholder so the leaseholder pays fees..... Any advice much appreciated! Thanks

Not quite clear from your post what is involved. May we have a little more detail?

Comment

Hi, thx for replying. We own freehold property which is split into a residential flat above a commerical property below. We need to raise a mortgage on the residential part and in order to do this need to issue a new lease. I understand the registration fees etc which are payable to the land registry but was just curious if the £1500 + vat quoted was a fairly standard fee for drawing up a new lease. Thx

Comment

I would say it was over the top. All that is needed is to draw up the lease and register it. It is not a full conveyancing transaction where they have to make enquiries, negotiate a contract, correspond with another firm and report to you. The solicitor should have a basic lease on tap which he can adjust according to the circumstances of your case. So, whilst the lease should be tailor-made, it should not that much of a one off.

Comment

Thx for the reply - the more I think about it the more I think it is too much too - way more than the fee for a straightforward conveyancing transaction anyway!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Remortgaging to a BTL so much to pay!
            Loftmonster
            My wife and I are in the process of remortgaging our home to a BTL and buying a new home.

I've been in discussions with a mortgage advisor for the last couple of weeks. The purchase mortgage is straight forward but the BTL mortgage is proving a bit more difficult to decide upon. We...
            21-08-2019, 00:59 AM
          • Reply to Remortgaging to a BTL so much to pay!
            loanarranger
            What is the research provided by your broker in focusing on BM Solutions , they are no longer a lender who is the automatic 1st choice

Ask your broker why he didn't quote the following:-
            Santander 1.39% 27 months fixed including Free Legals
            Barclays 1.41% 27 months fixed including...
            21-08-2019, 16:27 PM
            Loftmonster
            Thank JP, yeah i was thinking we should fix for longer but if landlording doesn't work out we will have to pay big early repayment charges if we sell.

The lender our broker has recommended (BM Solutions) pays £300 casback on legal fees. Our solicitor is quoting almost a grand so thats...
            21-08-2019, 08:14 AM
            jpkeates
            Most BTL mortgage lenders will use their own solicitor for conveyancing at no (direct) cost to the lender).
            You usually can add the product fee to the amount borrowed - on the basis that you hope the property value increases by at least that.

While I appreciate that landlording may...
            21-08-2019, 07:48 AM
          • Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
            Logical.Lean
            We are buying a property built in 1847, with some interesting history, and are somewhat frustrated by the both our own solicitor and the vendor and their solicitor.

Since having our offer accepted, on a house with no chain, either end, it has been 16 weeks, but the last 4 weeks have been...
            06-08-2019, 18:50 PM
          • Reply to Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
            Logical.Lean
            So eventually I phoned the Estate agent and explain that I'm now being told by our solicitor that the vendors solicitor had put in this application, but I'd like proof, if that were possible.
            30 mins later she sent an email, which had an email.from.their solicitor saying it had been done on the...
            20-08-2019, 09:50 AM
          • Solicitors Negligence Question
            Freddie thumb
            I'm read these forums for a little while and just signed up to ask a quick question. I'm not sure if this is 8n 5he right place.

So I bought a property in 2008 and discovered that the Title to my property was defective in 2015. Basically there was a piece of land on the title of my property...
            12-08-2019, 08:40 AM
          • Reply to Solicitors Negligence Question
            Lawcruncher
            Are you saying that the Land Registry plan does not match the apparent boundaries of the land you occupy? If so, is the problem that you occupy land not shown as yours on the plan or that a neighbour occupies land shown as yours on the plan?
            16-08-2019, 09:46 AM
          • Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
            deb_hyp
            Hi,
            I'm hoping one of you lovely wise people will be able to offer advice.

I own a leasehold flat and the RTM Company (of which I am a director) would like to purchase the freehold. The flat is one of 5 in a converted building. I've tried everything I can to track down the freeholder...
            08-08-2019, 14:22 PM
          • Reply to Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
            Gordon999
            The Land Registry records for the freeholder title for your address , will show name of current title holder. You can visit the Land Registry Online website and buy and download a copy of the freehold title for £3 by credit card..

If the title holder is a company, you can visit Companies...
            12-08-2019, 07:31 AM
          Working...
          X