Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macclad
    replied
    Many thanks JK0 and Lawcruncher, that's what I understood having done a bit of homework but not being in the law business I don't know where I stand. I really appreciate your time in replying. I will do what you suggest JK0. I will cross out the £385 on the form, replace it with £2.10 and include the highlighted part of the lease (it really is clear on this!).

All the best!

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    The fee is fixed. Period.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I bet I can guess who this is.

I'd just send the £2.10 with a photostat of the lease highlighting that bit.

Leave a comment:

• Macclad
    started a topic Landlord Fees for Transfer Registration

Landlord Fees for Transfer Registration

Hi All

I have POA for my mother who is currently buying a house in Manchester. We have reached the stage where I am near to signing the contract (The property is £230,000)

Last week I received from my solicitor the Lease management pack which was dated 1967 but written in ‘old speak’. The solicitor kindly interpreted all of the important detail . The Lease did not detail the ground rent but I understand this to be £12.00 PA which is what I would have expected. The Lease also clearly states that there is a sum payable to the Landlord of 2 Guineas by the purchaser on completion. Just yesterday I received from my solicitor a bunch of documentation to read and sign, one of which is the registration fee for the Landlord/Estate Management company of £385.00. There is no breakdown, it is just a standard form which has blanks for the property information etc. I have never seen anything so uninformative in my entire life, it just looks like a scam piece of paper for a demand that I could have created!

So my question is, if the Lease actually states a figure of "2 guineas for registration of such notice" which I understand to be around £2.10, then can they legally charge a price as high as £385 or are they just trying it on? If I say I will pay the £2.10 as stated in the Lease where do I stand legally on this? Surely I just pay what the lease says?

I have instructed my solicitor to look into this for me but in the interim any advice on where I stand with this would be much appreciated. I am not sure that the solicitor knows what the answer is but he has indicated that this is surprisingly high and that a figure of around £100-150 would be more reasonable.

Many thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Laurence

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
    by Section20z
    Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
    What does the lease say about it all ?...
    09-07-2020, 18:03 PM
  • Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
    by NottsLL
    Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
    08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
    by NottsLL
    Thanks for coming back on this. I have been trying to download the freeholder info from the land registry for a few days without success, but will get this as soon as I'm able to.

I'm a little unclear as to how this would relate to point 2 in my original post - if a ground floor flat fire...
    09-07-2020, 17:53 PM
  • Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
    by trusaiyan
    Hi
    I wonder if you can help with some advice.

My relative is purchasing a property which we were told is 'definitely freehold'. He claims he purchased the freehold a few years ago.

However, we have now discovered this is not fully true and while he did purchase the...
    09-07-2020, 14:51 PM
  • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
    by StuStew
    As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
    08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
  • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
    by StuStew
    Thanks Pilman.

Our only desire is to erect a fence/wall along the edge of the land (flush with the wall that lies along our current boundary). We do not wish to build anything else on the land.

Yes this is correct. So the red edging of our deeds would not be modified?...
    09-07-2020, 13:07 PM
    by pilman
    There will always be a freeholder who was the named Lessor when the leases of each flat were created.
    There will not always be a management company if the freeholder retains control of his own property.

I would have thought that knowing who the owner is can be ascertained from the...
    09-07-2020, 12:55 PM
    by pilman
    The word "curtilage" has a been the subject of a great many legal cases which have defined this as an area of land immediately adjacent to a building.

What you are referring to is a change of use of land to be used as part of a residential garden, because this land will never...
    09-07-2020, 12:38 PM
    by StuStew
    Thank you Lawcruncher.

As mentioned, if the sale was to include the grass strip, we would not be applying to have the strip included in our curtilage; as you mention, this is likely to be problematic. This is what I meant by chopping the land up; the grass strip is excluded from our curtilage...
    09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
    by Lawcruncher
    "Grass strips" can be a bit of a problem. Even if you can show title to them the Land Registry may still exclude them from the red edging on the title plan. That is not conclusive that the strip is not part of the adjoining property as the red edging only shows the general boundary.
    09-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Working...
X