Extending leasehold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending leasehold

Hi, I am about to start looking into extending the leasehold of our flat. There are currently around 84 years left on the current lease. What is the approximate cost of renewing (I understand this is possibly a how long is a piece of string question) and can anyone recommend any solicitors in the Bolton area or does them being local not really matter? All help much appreciated!

Have a look at lease-advice.org

I believe a calculator can be called up via that site.

Comment

Johnny, here is a link to the calculator highlighted by Tipper: https://www.lease-advice.org/calculator/

The calculator is only designed to give you an idea and results cannot be used in Tribunal proceedings. However, very helpful as a starting point.

You might also want to contact local surveyors offering valuations for lease extensions.

Comment

If your application for leasehold extension is not urgent, then you may get some help from Justin Madders MP's 10 minute Bill for leasehold reform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMZ6tHc1_I

Comment

There is a law firm in Sefton House , Bolton Middlebrook but the reviews for the firm are not good.

but they quote a fixed price of £1250 + Vat for lease extension. This may or may not be good.

The name of the firm sounds similar to the name remembered for building the steam locomotive which was put into service on the Stockton- Darlington Railway Line in 1825 .

Comment

Bolton is far but there is a National Landlord Show in London this week on 6th. They do hold the show in different venues. Check the site and see if you can attend the show where there will be plenty of solicitor firms showcasing whom you can get the cost. I got mine from there and they chewed us around £700 inc to extend to 999yrs. Well worth it.

https://www.landlordinvestmentshow.co.uk/2019-shows

If you can wait there is one near you next year as below. Register with them for the reminder.

Midlands - 15th May 2019

Manchester - 8th October 2019

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. The management company have finally got back to me and quoted:

Fees required to commence:

£250.00 irwell valley homes lease extension fee

£660.00 Lease extension valuation (Scanlons Manchester)

Total £910.00 inc.

Once the valuation has been received we will make an offer of a 90 year lease extension to you, legal fees of £500.00 plus VAT plus disbursements is then payable, plus the lease extension premium, prior to completion.

Does this sound good/bad/indifferent?!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord Fees for Transfer Registration
                Macclad
                Hi All

I have POA for my mother who is currently buying a house in Manchester. We have reached the stage where I am near to signing the contract (The property is £230,000)

Last week I received from my solicitor the Lease management pack which was dated 1967 but written in...
                30-11-2018, 19:21 PM
              • Reply to Landlord Fees for Transfer Registration
                Macclad
                Great, thanks once again....
                06-12-2018, 13:44 PM
                Lawcruncher
                When it comes to notices, the key point is whether service of the notice can be proved, not whether the recipient confirms receipt. A file copy of a letter in a solicitor's file is pretty much evidence that the letter was sent. If the landlord comes back and argues he wants a fee, he has confirmed receipt...
                06-12-2018, 12:39 PM
                Macclad
                Ok so the response from my solicitor is along the lines of:

I confirm that we can serve Notice of Assignment of the Lease to (Landlord) as you suggest. The potential difficulty arises if the landlord refuses to receipt the Notice. However there is an argument that if it responds to us...
                06-12-2018, 11:50 AM
                Macclad
                I await my solicitors response to my final queries tomorrow, I am not expecting any more niggles now (crossed fingers!). Lawcruncher, I hear what you are saying with regards the solicitors demeanour, you're probably right.

Just briefly returning to the point about what I should expect as...
                05-12-2018, 19:53 PM
                Lawcruncher
                Serving a notice of assignment is a routine task for a conveyancer. It has assumed significant proportions here because of the landlord's outrageous and unjustifiable fee demand. I think we have knocked that on the head. Having done so, I think the matter can safely be left in your solicitor's hands...
                04-12-2018, 23:41 PM
                Macclad
                Many thanks for this once again Lawcruncher. I do believe my conveyancer fits in to your assessment. It is not everyday I have to buy and sell houses, so my dealing with solicitors are few and far between. I am in no position to comment generally, but my solicitor tends to give understated hints that...
                04-12-2018, 22:58 PM
                Lawcruncher
                The lease has a specific obligation: To give notice to the landlord's solicitors and pay a fee of two guineas. If that is done the requirement is complied with and there can be no breach of covenant.

Obviously to comply with the obligation you need to know who the landlord's solicitors...
                04-12-2018, 20:23 PM
                JK0
                If it's the company I think you mean, they are 'solicitors' themselves when it suits them.
                04-12-2018, 16:25 PM
                Macclad
                Hi All

I think I have problems.

I requested that my solicitor send the £2.10 to the landlords solicitor. They have come back and said yes, we will send it to the Landlord - that was yesterday. I have quizzed this further and they have said they are sending it to the Estate...
                04-12-2018, 16:14 PM
              Working...
              X