Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exchange & delayed Completion

Hello

Trying to sell a property for a very long time. Along comes a buyer who loves it; wants to buy. But their finance is not quite in order to buy outright now.

In essence they want to Exchange now with apx 20-30% down-payment and delay the Completion and payment of the outstanding balance for 1 year.
    Legal Title and Vacant Occupation of the property will only be transferred upon Completion in 1 year. Title remains mine until Completion.

This is not a normal sale clearly!
    But I am happy to do this kind of deal - as long as the 20-30% is non-refundable and I can use it. (To pay down my own borrowing).

I can wait a year to exit.
    In 1 year the Buyer intends to pay a further 20% cash and the rest, 50-60%, on finance - and I exit.
    The Buyer has organised finance - offer in principle - via a broker.

Is this something like a developer would request when selling apartments 'Off-Plan'? Where a buyer puts down a % against the new build, then pays a further % when the development reaches the 2nd stage, 3rd stage and so on...

Can I do this? Can we have a separate legal agreement that allows me to use the Exchange 20-30% funds? And locks both us in to the Sale?
    This is most important to me. I need to be able to use the funds.
    Very grateful for advice on how this could be structured legally...

I have said elsewhere that there is no such thing as a non-refundable deposit but that the exception is deposits paid on the purchase of land. However, there are exceptions to exceptions. The legal position is as follows:

Section 49(2) of the Law of Property Act 1925 says:

Where the court refuses to grant specific performance of a contract, or in any action for the return of a deposit, the court may, if it thinks fit, order the repayment of any deposit.

That clearly gives the court discretion. The case of Omar v El-Wakil gave guidance as to how the discretion should be exercised*. Following that case the position is that the circumstances must be exceptional for the court to order the return of a deposit. In that respect it needs to be borne in mind that a "normal" deposit is ten per cent. If a significantly higher deposit is paid the court may take the view that retaining it would give the seller a disproportionate benefit. I do not think therefore that you can take on the proposed transaction in full confidence that if it does not complete you would be able to retain all the moneys received.

Whether you can use the deposit to reduce your borrowing depends on how the deposit is held by your solicitor. It would have to be held as "agent for the vendor". If I were acting for the buyer I would advise very strongly against that for a large deposit. Further, in view of the risk that the deposit might have to be repaid, it would be unwise to use it.

As a very general principle it is best to avoid complications or unusual arrangements where you set out expecting to proceed normally. It is especially important to stand back and consider matters carefully if you are keen to sell - and even more important if you are desperate. You need to consider whether "finance is not quite in order to buy outright now" really means "finance will never be arranged." There may be no intention to deceive - there hardly would be if a large deposit is being offered - but it is possible that the proposed buyer is being over-optimistic. You need to ask why, if finance is not available now, it is expected to be available in a year.

*For further information see here: https://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/r...posit-dilemmas

Comment

Exchange and completion would be in different tax years. As I understand it the tax liabilty on an unconditional sale arises on exchange - so you may have a CGT bill before having the money to pay it. However you should definitely check on that with an expert, if you can find one (sour tone is because I tried getting advice from HM revenue and customs not long ago on a different tax issue).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord Fees for Transfer Registration
        Macclad
        Hi All

I have POA for my mother who is currently buying a house in Manchester. We have reached the stage where I am near to signing the contract (The property is £230,000)

Last week I received from my solicitor the Lease management pack which was dated 1967 but written in...
        30-11-2018, 19:21 PM
      • Reply to Landlord Fees for Transfer Registration
        Macclad
        Great, thanks once again....
        06-12-2018, 13:44 PM
        Lawcruncher
        When it comes to notices, the key point is whether service of the notice can be proved, not whether the recipient confirms receipt. A file copy of a letter in a solicitor's file is pretty much evidence that the letter was sent. If the landlord comes back and argues he wants a fee, he has confirmed receipt...
        06-12-2018, 12:39 PM
        Macclad
        Ok so the response from my solicitor is along the lines of:

I confirm that we can serve Notice of Assignment of the Lease to (Landlord) as you suggest. The potential difficulty arises if the landlord refuses to receipt the Notice. However there is an argument that if it responds to us...
        06-12-2018, 11:50 AM
        Macclad
        I await my solicitors response to my final queries tomorrow, I am not expecting any more niggles now (crossed fingers!). Lawcruncher, I hear what you are saying with regards the solicitors demeanour, you're probably right.

Just briefly returning to the point about what I should expect as...
        05-12-2018, 19:53 PM
        Lawcruncher
        Serving a notice of assignment is a routine task for a conveyancer. It has assumed significant proportions here because of the landlord's outrageous and unjustifiable fee demand. I think we have knocked that on the head. Having done so, I think the matter can safely be left in your solicitor's hands...
        04-12-2018, 23:41 PM
        Macclad
        Many thanks for this once again Lawcruncher. I do believe my conveyancer fits in to your assessment. It is not everyday I have to buy and sell houses, so my dealing with solicitors are few and far between. I am in no position to comment generally, but my solicitor tends to give understated hints that...
        04-12-2018, 22:58 PM
        Lawcruncher
        The lease has a specific obligation: To give notice to the landlord's solicitors and pay a fee of two guineas. If that is done the requirement is complied with and there can be no breach of covenant.

Obviously to comply with the obligation you need to know who the landlord's solicitors...
        04-12-2018, 20:23 PM
        JK0
        If it's the company I think you mean, they are 'solicitors' themselves when it suits them.
        04-12-2018, 16:25 PM
        Macclad
        Hi All

I think I have problems.

I requested that my solicitor send the £2.10 to the landlords solicitor. They have come back and said yes, we will send it to the Landlord - that was yesterday. I have quizzed this further and they have said they are sending it to the Estate...
        04-12-2018, 16:14 PM
      Working...
      X