Registering Unused and Unregistered Land - Advice Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering Unused and Unregistered Land - Advice Please!

Hi I'm looking for some direction and advice please.

My grandfather built and lived in the house that I now live in back in 1954 until he died in 2002. My parents lived here with him for over 40 years, I was born here and I officially purchased the house from my parents in 2012 and now live here with my own family.

At the back of the garden in a small piece of oddly shaped scrub land that is too small for anyone else to use to e.g.build a house, and has categorically never been used in the last 60 years. It has one large horse chestnut tree (without a TPO) that annoyingly overhangs my garden, and a few other spindly trees.

I would now like to use this piece of land as another access into my house and to increase the size of the garden. I have just carried out a search with the land registry and it has come back as 'unregistered'. I can verify that is has also been unused since 1954.

What do I do next if I would like to legally acquire the land? Should I spend the money on contacting a lawyer to fill out the necessary paperwork to file a 'first registration' form and get the ball rolling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Have you occupied or used the land you want to own for any purpose? If so, for how long?

Is the land you want to own fenced off from your land?

A sketch plan showing the (a) the land you own (b) the land you wish to own and (c) the land adjoining the land you wish to own would be helpful.

Is it your intention to cut down the tree? If so, (a) have you checked if it has a tree preservation order and (b) do you live in a conservaton area?

Comment

Get your fences amended. Wait twelve years. Then go to a solicitor to register it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Complain to Solicitor about Private Road?
        Lilybilly
        We purchased our property - number 7 of an estate of 7 new build houses two years ago. A year ago, going through the title plans of the purchase agreement, we noticed that the plan did not show our back garden as it is in reality. There was a large chunk missing.

After threatening our solicitor...
        Title plan for land to east of number 7 has our front drive missing, and private road and visitor parking also not designated.
        19-02-2019, 10:28 AM
      • Reply to Complain to Solicitor about Private Road?
        Lilybilly
        Can anybody help?
        19-02-2019, 16:05 PM
      • Legal issue re Unadopted Road.
        josswallace
        I live in an unadopted road, its not a private road as thier is no owner,(Land Registry shows no owner and oppinion is original developer died with no heirs).

I understand that I am responsible for the upkeep/maitanence of half the width of the road for the length of my frontage. Approximately...
        18-02-2019, 14:33 PM
      • Reply to Legal issue re Unadopted Road.
        Lawcruncher
        There are three possibilities for a road:

· An adopted public highway
        · An unadopted public highway
        · A private road

In each ownership is irrelevant to the status of the road.

If a road is unadopted or private the frontagers (the owners of land adjoining...
        18-02-2019, 18:08 PM
      • Freehold Management Company
        timothytaylor
        Dear all,

In 2002 I purchased a large building which was split into 6 flats.

Each flat has their owns council tax, gas and electricity charge with one communal water meter to the building, and a single insurance bill.

As we all know tenanting has its ups and downs,...
        18-02-2019, 11:22 AM
      • Reply to Freehold Management Company
        leaseholder64
        RMCs have no specific legal status, so they could have unlimited liability. However I very much doubt anyone has ever gone that way.

As I think you need it to own the freehold, it will have to be registered, so making it limited liability, being the normal case, is likely to be easier....
        18-02-2019, 16:50 PM
        timothytaylor
        I’m learning.

Residents management company? - would that have to be a limited company, as I have read some are, or is the limited status optional.?

I don’t doubt that it could be problematic, hence I am trying to do my homework – is there such thing as a gov.uk or rics...
        18-02-2019, 15:30 PM
      • Reply to Legal issue re Unadopted Road.
        leaseholder64
        The road is a private road, but probably owned by the Crown. If the developer was a person, that would only happen if the rules on succession were exhausted.

I think frontage also includes backage and sideage!

It is the owner that would have the legal right to cut the road...
        18-02-2019, 14:46 PM
        leaseholder64
        The only way of having six people share the freehold is to form a residents' management company and make them members. The flats are then held under leasehold.

The lease and the company articles need to interlock to ensure that membership of the company follows ownership of the leasehold...
        18-02-2019, 12:55 PM
        timothytaylor
        Sorry, leaseholder64

I am a mere novice.

I think what I should have said, and please correct me if I am wrong,

Six separate titles, six separate flats and shares in the freehold.? The intention being to ensure that all do have a fair voice, unlike some of the...
        18-02-2019, 12:12 PM
      Working...
      X