Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loft conversion signed off but 10 year guarantee non transferable

Hi All,
    We are close to exchanging on the sale of my house and the buyer's solicitor has noticed a clause in the 10 year guarantee for the loft conversion, that the guarantee is non transferable.
    There is 8.5 years left on the guarantee. I have spoken to the loft company who have said that is company policy. If the loft company will not agree to put the new owner's names on the guarantee, what kind of concession, if any would a buyer expect?
    I found this on the internet
    The Building Act 1993 allows action to be brought against a builder for up to 10 years from the date the work was completed. This right transfers to a new owner if the property is sold within this time.
    The buyer is aware of this law as she is a conveyancer, but would rather not have to go to court in the future. The loft is in excellent condition and there are no problems with it. It would also be covered on her house insurance as it is signed off. There is also an insurance backed warranty with the paperwork that is transferable, but this only comes into play if the loft company ceases trading
    thanks in advance for any wisdom shared

I not yet had a builder honour his guarantee.

Comment

haha so true JKO. The guarantee is probably meaningless whoever's name is on it

Comment

The reason such guarantees are insurance backed is that the builder is unlikely to be there in 10 years, to sue. The reason they are tied to the original owner is probably because most people move before ten years are up :-(.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Registering Unused and Unregistered Land - Advice Please!
          MrsMcGoo
          Hi I'm looking for some direction and advice please.

My grandfather built and lived in the house that I now live in back in 1954 until he died in 2002. My parents lived here with him for over 40 years, I was born here and I officially purchased the house from my parents in 2012 and now
          18-07-2018, 21:38 PM
        • Boundary Dispute - Boundary moved over time - Can the lost land be reclaimed?
          john deere guy
          Hi
          Looking for a bit of advice on A row of terraced house with a rear access lane.

House A - The first sale of this house has conveyance plans drawn in 1958 showing an area of this lane it owns. Approximately a 10m strip of the lane. This house had the same owner until 2017 whereby...
          18-07-2018, 18:29 PM
        • Tree issue
          Jess Bailey
          hi

i would really appreciate some advice. I have a tree in my garden very close to the building. I had a tree surgeon come and look at it and he has advised it should be taken down as it’s very close and could cause subsidence. There is no order on it but in my lease it says I should...
          10-07-2018, 18:54 PM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          Jess Bailey
          Thanks. That’s really helpful. I will send off the first email and see what they say. Thanks again...
          14-07-2018, 16:59 PM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          eagle2
          I don’t think that anyone wants to remove trees unless it is necessary and I have tree surgeons calling on me at regular intervals proposing works and I would definitely not accept the first piece of advice or use some of them.

I would obtain two independent quotes in writing and if they...
          14-07-2018, 09:21 AM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          Jess Bailey
          I have done that and the tree surgeon is writing an email. I’m not sure they care though. Is there anything legally I can do and is it worth me asking the building insurers to take a look at it? Thanks...
          14-07-2018, 08:26 AM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          eagle2
          Has the tree surgeon put his advice in writing? If not, ask him to do so and then you can send it to the freeholder. It may be worth asking for a second opinion anyway.
          13-07-2018, 08:40 AM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          Jess Bailey
          It is my garden but they put it in my lease that I have to ask permission to have that tree down. It’s in my garden. I don’t think their reasons are strong enough. I have told them it could cause damage and they said they didn’t think it would....
          12-07-2018, 21:01 PM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          AndrewDod
          What do you mean "my garden" -- is the garden demised to you (and only to your flat) in the lease (a private fenced-off garden under the terms of the lease)?

It is not clear to me why the lease would mention the tree...whether demised or otherwise? What EXACTLY does the lease...
          12-07-2018, 08:14 AM
        • Reply to Tree issue
          JK0
          I think I might write to the insurers about the tree, and see how quickly it comes down then.
          12-07-2018, 07:28 AM
        Working...
        X