Buying leasehold with alterations the Freeholder did not consent to.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying leasehold with alterations the Freeholder did not consent to.

hi

I’m looking at (quite far down the line actually!) buying the 157 yr leasehold to a grade 2 flat. It has a number of differences from its drawings on the lease (new doorway in a wall and partial wall removals. It has retrospective planning permissions for the most recent changes and the rest are probably more than 10 years old.

but the Landlord has not been asked for consents ( a breach of the lease terms).

My my question is:

1) the sellers have taken out indemnity insurance, will that protect me if the Landlord finds out and tries to make difficulties?
    2) is it just better not to tell the Landlord (there would only be problems if I want to sell later &my buyer is risk averse.. but also I understand the other leasehold owners are considering collective enfranchisement which would remove the issue).

thank you!

Are you buying with a mortgage (or a plan to remortgage once renovations are done)?

Comment

Maybe this could be a way to get some money off the price...

Let's say the freeholder will ask £10k for retrospective consent, if he gets to hear about the alterations. Seller might knock £5k off the price to ensure that he doesn't.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X