Buying leasehold with alterations the Freeholder did not consent to.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying leasehold with alterations the Freeholder did not consent to.

hi

I’m looking at (quite far down the line actually!) buying the 157 yr leasehold to a grade 2 flat. It has a number of differences from its drawings on the lease (new doorway in a wall and partial wall removals. It has retrospective planning permissions for the most recent changes and the rest are probably more than 10 years old.

but the Landlord has not been asked for consents ( a breach of the lease terms).

My my question is:

1) the sellers have taken out indemnity insurance, will that protect me if the Landlord finds out and tries to make difficulties?
    2) is it just better not to tell the Landlord (there would only be problems if I want to sell later &my buyer is risk averse.. but also I understand the other leasehold owners are considering collective enfranchisement which would remove the issue).

thank you!

Are you buying with a mortgage (or a plan to remortgage once renovations are done)?

Comment

Maybe this could be a way to get some money off the price...

Let's say the freeholder will ask £10k for retrospective consent, if he gets to hear about the alterations. Seller might knock £5k off the price to ensure that he doesn't.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Management company dissolved. No provision for alternative arrangements.
        Lorimer
        We were thinking of buying a flat in a particular block. We have discovered that there are 2x management companies embedded in the lease. Management company number 1 handles the management, repair and maintenance of the building and management company number 2 handles the management, repair and maintenance...
        21-03-2019, 07:24 AM
      • Electrical Distribution Company claiming Possessory Title
        Elbee
        I’ve recently purchased a plot of land from the Crown Solicitor. There is a small electrical substation on the land and I was advised by the electrical company that there was an active lease on the substation before I bought it. After completing the purchase and getting my hands on the lease it...
        05-03-2019, 19:44 PM
      • Reply to Electrical Distribution Company claiming Possessory Title
        JK0
        FTA: If the original lease was 1978, and the new substation was built in 1998, does that suggest that it is now due to be replaced again? I wonder if this might be a big cost saving for you, either by making a deal now, or just biding your time until they build a new substation back on the 1978 sit...
        18-03-2019, 17:08 PM
        JK0
        Have they been paying rent since 1999?

Lawcruncher will confirm, but I believe that would prevent any adverse possession claim.
        18-03-2019, 17:00 PM
        Elbee
        Bit of an update. I wrote to electric company solicitor with a few specific questions that my barrister was asking about this case:

Has the substation moved? Solicitor replied providing photographs saying substation was moved in 1998 with no permission and no authority.

Where...
        18-03-2019, 16:55 PM
      • State agent asking more money
        ifti12
        Hi guys,
        I am a first time buyer and need experts opinion with some issue. So here are few details.

The property advertised £325,000

I offered initially £315,000 which was rejected, then I offered £318,000 rejected again, offered £321,000 rejected again. Then finally...
        16-03-2019, 03:20 AM
      • Reply to State agent asking more money
        buzzard1994
        A month is not long for a property to be on the market. I'd never trust estate agents saying their are other offers but in this case there may be, but they may not be in a position to move as quickly as you will be if you are a first time buyer.

I agree that this is the sort of vendor...
        16-03-2019, 18:29 PM
        jpucng62
        I would look for another house! I would not trust this vendor / estate agent to let you get a long way down the conveyancing line & the ask for more money by which time you will have spent money on the purchase and lost time, so you are between a rock & a hard place. Better not to start on this...
        16-03-2019, 13:45 PM
        AndrewDod
        This is a really long question and I have not read it all

But presuming not in Scotland or there was some some sort of acceptance with penalties attached
        they can do whatever they like.

If you think they are trying it on, and you don't want to pay more then withdraw,...
        16-03-2019, 11:30 AM
        Gandolf
        think so estate agents will get about an extra £50 for getting them and additional 5k so cant see them doing it to get extra thousands as you say...
        16-03-2019, 11:18 AM
      Working...
      X