Giving Property to Spouse (under court consent order - Divorce)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving Property to Spouse (under court consent order - Divorce)

Hi

We have several properties which all of my equitable interest is to be given to my spouse.

On the jointly owned properties, this is a straightforward transfer of equity and no SDLT has been payable.

Now, we seem to have hit a problem. One of the properties is in my sole name and there is a mortgage on the property of £180k (property value is around £360k).

We understand from the accountant there is no CGT to pay between husband and wife, but if my spouse has to raise a mortgage, so that I am released from the property - would SDLT be payable? And just to repeat the heading above, the equity is being given to spouse as per Court Consent Order.

Many thanks.

This guide says sdlt is exempt for your ex's situation after divorce :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-du...t-transactions

Comment

Thank you. I had looked at some guidance pages on the gov.uk site but hadn't seen this. Yes, it certainly looks the way. Many thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Complain to Solicitor about Private Road?
        Lilybilly
        We purchased our property - number 7 of an estate of 7 new build houses two years ago. A year ago, going through the title plans of the purchase agreement, we noticed that the plan did not show our back garden as it is in reality. There was a large chunk missing.

After threatening our solicitor...
        Title plan for land to east of number 7 has our front drive missing, and private road and visitor parking also not designated.
        19-02-2019, 10:28 AM
      • Legal issue re Unadopted Road.
        josswallace
        I live in an unadopted road, its not a private road as thier is no owner,(Land Registry shows no owner and oppinion is original developer died with no heirs).

I understand that I am responsible for the upkeep/maitanence of half the width of the road for the length of my frontage. Approximately...
        18-02-2019, 14:33 PM
      • Reply to Legal issue re Unadopted Road.
        Lawcruncher
        There are three possibilities for a road:

· An adopted public highway
        · An unadopted public highway
        · A private road

In each ownership is irrelevant to the status of the road.

If a road is unadopted or private the frontagers (the owners of land adjoining...
        18-02-2019, 18:08 PM
      • Freehold Management Company
        timothytaylor
        Dear all,

In 2002 I purchased a large building which was split into 6 flats.

Each flat has their owns council tax, gas and electricity charge with one communal water meter to the building, and a single insurance bill.

As we all know tenanting has its ups and downs,...
        18-02-2019, 11:22 AM
      • Reply to Freehold Management Company
        leaseholder64
        RMCs have no specific legal status, so they could have unlimited liability. However I very much doubt anyone has ever gone that way.

As I think you need it to own the freehold, it will have to be registered, so making it limited liability, being the normal case, is likely to be easier....
        18-02-2019, 16:50 PM
        timothytaylor
        I’m learning.

Residents management company? - would that have to be a limited company, as I have read some are, or is the limited status optional.?

I don’t doubt that it could be problematic, hence I am trying to do my homework – is there such thing as a gov.uk or rics...
        18-02-2019, 15:30 PM
      • Reply to Legal issue re Unadopted Road.
        leaseholder64
        The road is a private road, but probably owned by the Crown. If the developer was a person, that would only happen if the rules on succession were exhausted.

I think frontage also includes backage and sideage!

It is the owner that would have the legal right to cut the road...
        18-02-2019, 14:46 PM
        leaseholder64
        The only way of having six people share the freehold is to form a residents' management company and make them members. The flats are then held under leasehold.

The lease and the company articles need to interlock to ensure that membership of the company follows ownership of the leasehold...
        18-02-2019, 12:55 PM
        timothytaylor
        Sorry, leaseholder64

I am a mere novice.

I think what I should have said, and please correct me if I am wrong,

Six separate titles, six separate flats and shares in the freehold.? The intention being to ensure that all do have a fair voice, unlike some of the...
        18-02-2019, 12:12 PM
        leaseholder64
        My understanding is that freehold flats are almost impossible to mortgage.

You need a serious amount of professional advice. As such, I think providing a lot of advice here would be a disservice, as it might encourage you to skip the professional advice.

The RICS guide talks...
        18-02-2019, 11:45 AM
      Working...
      X