Right of First Refusal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right of First Refusal

Hi, I'm desperate to receive some correct information. We are in the process of a leasehold enfranchisement on a block of flats. Anyway, we have reached the stage where our solicitor has notified the freeholder we wish to exercise our right to enfranchise, then our valuer pointed out that if the freehold had exchanged hands and we were not offered first refusal we may now use this ruling to go to court and purchase the freehold at the price it was sold at. Meanwhile I've discovered the freehold did exchange hands in 1997 and none of us were offered first refusal. Is it too late to take advantage of this ruling? Our solicitor seems somewhat reticent. First he said this only applied up to 6 months after the sale. He also says a notification of the new freeholder via the service charge notice was sufficient "notification". I'm beginning to wonder whose side he is on. Anyway can you please let me know where we stand in law if we were not offered first right of refusal in 1986/87 and we are now aiming to purchase the freehold in 2018? Are we able to take advantage of this Ruling to negotiate a better price? Thank you!

I was advising a friend recently in a similar position to you and came across a podcast on the LEASE website which implies that it may still be possible to force the sale of the freehold to yourselves.

Of particular relevance in this podcast is everything that is said from c. 10 minutes into the recording. This implies that the receipt of service charge demands from a new freeholder does not qualify as a statutory notice of the freeholder's purchase of the freehold. In fact, the guest speaker in the podcast (a barrister at Tanfield Chambers) goes further to state that he is aware of some developments where leaseholders have managed to force the sale of the freehold to themselves 10 years after the freehold had been sold!

https://www.lease-advice.org/podcast...first-refusal/

Comment

Thank you Lorimer, this should be interesting - I will list to it right now!!

Comment

And perhaps let your reticent solicitor listen to it.

It would be good to know how you get on as the friend I was advising has chosen to not do anything further about his predicament. Please update us so that we will all have a definitive answer to this query - which does not come up very often ....

Comment

We are raring to go and were hoping that this point about the First Right of Refusal might help us get a better price for the freehold or somehow push our freeholder into a corner. We have been told that the freeholder might come up with all sorts of stories about how he intended to build another floor or a car park to rent out etc just to bump up his asking price. Our solicitor doesnt really have a clue about this ruling and is trying to avoid it. He sent me an email today saying something along the lines of ...when you signed up I assumed you intended to [straightforward] enfranchise, not pursue the landlord on the basis of the 1987 Act... So clearly he doesnt even "get" it!

Comment

Perhaps it is worth seeking out the Tanfield Chambers person that is on the podcast to get a note of advice from him on your situation.

You can normally do this via direct access without your solicitor adding a fee for an introduction. I would suggest that if you do this, you do so on the basis that you wish to exercise your right to force the sale of the freehold to yourselves at the same price that it was sold for 'under the radar'. If the sale happened so long ago, you could find yourselves with a rather large windfall.

Comment

Thank you - that would be wonderful. I like the phrase "under the radar" - that's exactly what it was! The leaseholders are holding a meeting this week and we will decide how to proceed. Most likely we need to find a solicitor or as you suggest a barrister who is an expert in this field.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New terms (overage) after contracts issued
                Bach
                Hi

I'm not sure if I'm positing this in the correct category.

​​​​ I'm in the middle of a residential property purchase. It's been 4 months since my offer was accepted.

I've spent around £2000 on fees etc so far.

Out of nowhere, the seller...
                19-08-2018, 19:54 PM
              • Reply to New terms (overage) after contracts issued
                Lawcruncher
                They should certainly have disclosed at the outset that they want an overage. It is unusual on an arm's length residential sale. If you are getting a mortgage it will almost certainly be opposed by the lender.

Unfortunately I cannot see a way for you to claim your legal and other costs...
                19-08-2018, 20:43 PM
              • covenants
                fencroft
                I have an agreement in writing, after making a payment, to extinguish a restrictive covenant. I tried to do this myself with the LR and they rejected my application. They said I need a legal deed of agreement. I have done other legal things myself such as filling in the TP1 for example. I asked for...
                17-08-2018, 11:08 AM
              • Reply to covenants
                Lawcruncher
                An instrument releasing a covenant needs to be made by deed. It also of course has to have the right words in it. You should also note that a release may not necessarily be effective to extinguish the covenant. To get the covenant removed from your title you need to satisfy the LR that it has been executed...
                17-08-2018, 21:06 PM
              • Highways mistake?
                mojo2460
                26-07-2018, 07:54 AM
              • Reply to Highways mistake?
                mojo2460
                Hi WFD, thanks for reply. Unfortunately Jubilee Owner lives abroad and I know wouldn't be interested. Another local extinguishment order just took 12 months.
                You can see on the plan that the triangle abuts the narrow street on one side. on the inner side is a ten foot wall which abuts the cemetery...
                08-08-2018, 10:49 AM
              • Car parking query
                Patti
                Our 12 flats are leasehold with each owning an equal share of freehold and an allocated car park space. Over the years, some owners have 'swapped' parking spaces (by private arrangement rather than officially). In addition, the original plans on the leases show an arrangement of spaces that is physically...
                15-06-2018, 18:51 PM
              • Reply to Car parking query
                wfd_property
                There is another practical reason why this needs to be sorted out.

Those of us who like to drive new cars will in all probability have bought their last petrol or diesel car. Everything I have test driven recently is either hybrid or pure electric (not sure if I can justify the model X...
                07-08-2018, 20:33 PM
              • Lender Insolvent - Help
                Bengt Lagander
                How do you remove a insolvent lender 1st legal charge registered at LR. The lebder is small limited company insolvent for 5 years. No staff. And no reply.

Any ideas?
                25-06-2018, 17:14 PM
              • Reply to Lender Insolvent - Help
                wfd_property
                The reality is that the assets of this insolvent lender (such assets including your house!) will have been transferred by the insolvency practitioner to another party. 5 years is a long time however. Have you _really_ not had contact or repayment requests in that period of time?

Or are...
                07-08-2018, 20:27 PM
              Working...
              X