SDLT or Not?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDLT or Not?

Grateful if anyone can confirm if Stamp Duty is payable or not in the following situation:

Husband and Wife Divorcing/Divorced - Court Order's Husband to transfer BTL property to Wife. Property is held Jointly 50/50. Outstanding Mortgage is £210k.

Wife already owns other property.

As this transfer is being done under Court Order, is there any SDLT to pay, and if so, how much would it be? Would the 'additional 3% be payable?

Many thanks

There is no consideration. It is a kind of a gift

So I don't believe will involve SDLT if it were not for the mortgage -- which greatly complicates the position. So I dunno..... The problem is not so much the transfer of the property as the mortgage.

Is the transfer before or after the actual dissolution of marriage - if before, I guess there would be no issue -- but what about CGT .... which is far more relevant and potentially costly if the party is not going to live there. If before dissolution the purchaser would I think have to backdate CGT to time of original purchase on both halves. If transfer is after marriage ends the person who "sells" half might owe CGT if that transfer is in exchange for some other cash exchanges elsewhere, else the receiving person will be left holding the CGT can.

Thanks Andrew - I just found a Government Link and it confirms there is no SDLT payable.

Latest Activity

• Requesting evidence of title
        On peice of unregistered land, if challenged by someone claiming ownership, how should one request evidence of title? If they own the neighbouring land, would historic deeds show a map detailing boundaries?
        23-03-2018, 02:05 AM
      • Right of way over unowned land
        Hello everyone,

I’ve been trying to get clarification over land next to my property but am at a lost end.

My house is accessed by a muddy track off a residential street. We have a neighbour each side of our property. These houses have driveways going onto a main road which...
        13-03-2018, 18:37 PM
      • Reply to Right of way over unowned land
        In order to find out if this land has a registered owner, or if it remains unregistered, you can use the Land Registry web-site and download a form SIM which is for a Search of the Index Map.

You need to complete the form and identify the land you want to search for by using your own title...
        20-03-2018, 16:06 PM
      • Share of freehold - loft ownership question
        Hi, I live in a ground floor 1925 purpose built maisonette in London. Above me is a first floor purpose built maisonette. Between us we have a share of freehold. The demised premises are defined in our leases as, "the First Floor Flat" and the "Ground Floor Flat". There is a substantial...
        20-03-2018, 14:40 PM
      • Reply to Right of way over unowned land
        Whoever owns it it is unlikely they have a duty to maintain it. Sometimes it states in the deeds you have pay to a proportion of maintenance costs but as it isn't in your deeds it probably won't be in your neighbour's either. As the neighbours have driveways and don't need to use the lane it seems unlikely...
        18-03-2018, 21:36 PM
      • Right of First Refusal
        Hi, I'm desperate to receive some correct information. We are in the process of a leasehold enfranchisement on a block of flats. Anyway, we have reached the stage where our solicitor has notified the freeholder we wish to exercise our right to enfranchise, then our valuer pointed out that if the freehold...
        12-03-2018, 20:49 PM
      • Reply to Right of First Refusal
        Thank you - that would be wonderful. I like the phrase "under the radar" - that's exactly what it was! The leaseholders are holding a meeting this week and we will decide how to proceed. Most likely we need to find a solicitor or as you suggest a barrister who is an expert in this field.
        18-03-2018, 12:36 PM
      • Title Splitting while retaining ownership - 1 plot into 3 houses...

I have a plot of land in Chelmsford with a 9 Bed HMO on it, I have planning in to split the HMO into two houses and to build a new house on the end - pre agreed at pre app, expected in 2 weeks.

The property is currently owned in our SPV Limited Company.

14-03-2018, 20:06 PM
      • Reply to Title Splitting while retaining ownership - 1 plot into 3 houses...

It's sounding like the only way to do this will to be - Set up a new Ltd, wholly owned by the original Ltd (therefore no tax in transferring the property) and move the properties across which will then provide the transfer required for the access rights etc. to be granted. ...
        16-03-2018, 21:36 PM
      • Longish sub lease from a longish headlease - should I be concerned?
        Amy courtney
        Hi there,
        I am in the process of buying a leasehold flat and have found out today that I’m actually buying a sub lease of a headlease owned by Camden council.
        The sublease is 96 years and can’t be extended as the headlease is also 96 years.
        We only plan to stay in the property...
        27-02-2018, 21:02 PM