X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conveyancing nightmares

Dear Members

Need your guidance/advice on the below.

I made an offer on a property in Aug 2017 which got accepted. A BTL mortgage was arranged.
    The conveyancing company was very slow in doing the searches and corresponding with the sellers.
    Six months in the purchase process, Monday last week they agreed on the exchange date.
    i singed the contract and paid the deposit.

Its been a week now but my solicitors are not responding to my calls or emails. They confirmed receipt of deposit and then they’ve been making excuses and not giving a valid reason for the delay in exchanging.
    The seller, estate agent and mortgage advisor are all baffled by this unprofessionalism.
    is this common during the purchase process or is it something serious?
    Any thoughts ? Please share your own experience when buying a property.
    how do I find out what’s happening? Who to complain?

regards
    z

They are a law unto themselves. Believe theres a few proactive solicitors who post on here, but the decent sized firms whose typical clients are owner occupiers moving house then forget it.

Theres a property I'm buying presently (decent solicitor on it) and the other side haven't responded to a letter dated I think 17th January yet.

Comment

I did a lot of research and found that the conveyancing company was decently rated though it had mixed comments from past clients. However question remains as to whether they can hold on to the deposit for such a long time after having confirmed that the exchange was last week? Why would they delay anyway? And how can I get them to explain the delay ? They are not replying to emails or phone calls... what can i do about it?

Comment

Call round?

Comment

Thanks WFD they are not coming on the phone or replying to email. Its been 10 days since deposit was paid into the solicitors account. I can visit the office but not sure if that is going to help. Any other ideas on how to deal with this? Can any Authority/ law body intervene?

Comment

Perhaps they've done a runner. I would call round if you can. Or call from a different number.

Comment

If you are using a firm of solicitors for conveyancing , you should have been given a letter to say you are accepted as client after the firm has done its due-diligence . Its a requirement of the Land Registry and Law Society . You can make a complaint to the SRA ( Solicitors Regulation Authority ) against the solicitor handling your purchase. .

If you are using a cheap conveyancing company ( no solicitor), then you should check where to make complaints.

Your deposit money should be paid into the conveyancing firm's client account. You should watch the expiry date of your mortgage loan offer. Six months is waiting is unusual a long time . Watch out for any change of bank account details just before you pay the deposit to the conveyancing firm's bank account in case of fraud.

Comment

Hi Ziggy,

That's an absolutely horrible situation to be in and I do highly sympathise.

In the first instance I would personally recommend that you threaten to report the firm and raise a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman - their website provides further details on the complaints procedure (you do have to raise a formal complaint with your conveyancers first - but sometimes just threatening to go to the Ombudsman may push things forward in your favour).

To be honest, this is a problem that people encounter a lot when they decide to instruct lower end conveyancers/solicitors. It's human nature to want to save on costs, and whilst the difference of £100 - £400 might seem a lot, in the grand scheme of things (relative to the purchase price and ancillary costs) you're talking about an overall difference of less than a fraction of a percentage (sometimes less than 0.1%) between quotations.

Comment

They are communicating with me regularly and keep giving me a date of exchange but havent done the exchange yet. Yes i did make a big mistake by hiring a low end conveyancing firm. Lesson learnt. I am planning to wait until end of the month. If things dont progress I will have to go down the route of making a formal complaint.
                  thanks all for your valuable advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Neighbour is trying to claim right of passage
                    Miguel Diogo
                    I've owned my house for around 19 years, at the end of my house there is a river where cattle and other animals would be brought to drink. There was a flood wall built around 30 years ago as we are in a danger zone. In both mine and my neighbours deeds its says we have right of passage. For more than...
                    21-02-2018, 23:48 PM
                  • Reply to Neighbour is trying to claim right of passage
                    leaseholder64
                    According to http://www.quinnlaw.co.uk/how-a-righ...y-can-be-lost/ you will need to buy out your neighbour first.
                    22-02-2018, 00:24 AM
                  • conveyancing nightmares
                    ZIGGYVIGGY
                    Dear Members

Need your guidance/advice on the below.

I made an offer on a property in Aug 2017 which got accepted. A BTL mortgage was arranged.
                    The conveyancing company was very slow in doing the searches and corresponding with the sellers.
                    Six months in the purchase...
                    12-02-2018, 23:20 PM
                  • Reply to conveyancing nightmares
                    ZIGGYVIGGY
                    They are communicating with me regularly and keep giving me a date of exchange but havent done the exchange yet. Yes i did make a big mistake by hiring a low end conveyancing firm. Lesson learnt. I am planning to wait until end of the month. If things dont progress I will have to go down the route of...
                    21-02-2018, 22:38 PM
                  • Reply to conveyancing nightmares
                    Chanthony
                    Hi Ziggy,

That's an absolutely horrible situation to be in and I do highly sympathise.

In the first instance I would personally recommend that you threaten to report the firm and raise a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman - their website provides further details on the complaints...
                    20-02-2018, 17:52 PM
                  • Deed of Variation where 1 flat increases their service charge
                    Katrina17
                    I would really appreciate some advice before costs get too high. We are a small conversion of 5 flats, we all have a share of the freehold company and I am a Director. We have agreed to sell the loft space to the owner of the top flat, he has agreed to pay for a new roof in exchange and reasonable legal...
                    30-01-2018, 22:09 PM
                  • Reply to Deed of Variation where 1 flat increases their service charge
                    Chanthony
                    Yes and no: the majority of new home leases are drafted without a fixed service charge percentage to avoid the very situation that Katrina17 is in right now. There are simply too many variables that you need to account for which make a fixed percentage practically unworkable where the leaseholder contributions...
                    20-02-2018, 17:09 PM
                  • Ground rent review clause
                    mrtn
                    Hi all

I've been a reader of these forums for some time and have finally got around to posting!

Bearing in mind recent press relating to ground rent reviews, I am reviewing ground rent review clause on one of my flats and not sure if I understand the way it works. The clause...
                    02-02-2018, 15:52 PM
                  • Reply to Ground rent review clause
                    Chanthony
                    Hi Mrtn,

Sorry for the really late response - I have only recently joined the forum and am not very active.

The relevant portion is at the beginning of the clause which states: "The Ground Rent hereby reserved shall on each of the Review Dates be adjusted either upwards...
                    20-02-2018, 17:00 PM
                  • Purchase of Freehold - Land Registry Forms
                    RachelCake
                    Hi,

I have recently purchased the freehold of my property. I have received a letter from the Sols acting for the former leaseholder with a form TP1 telling me I need to register this with the Land Registry. I think I need to complete a AP1, with copy of the lease and plan and send
                    10-02-2018, 10:32 AM
                  Working...
                  X