X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conveyancing nightmares

Dear Members

Need your guidance/advice on the below.

I made an offer on a property in Aug 2017 which got accepted. A BTL mortgage was arranged.
    The conveyancing company was very slow in doing the searches and corresponding with the sellers.
    Six months in the purchase process, Monday last week they agreed on the exchange date.
    i singed the contract and paid the deposit.

Its been a week now but my solicitors are not responding to my calls or emails. They confirmed receipt of deposit and then they’ve been making excuses and not giving a valid reason for the delay in exchanging.
    The seller, estate agent and mortgage advisor are all baffled by this unprofessionalism.
    is this common during the purchase process or is it something serious?
    Any thoughts ? Please share your own experience when buying a property.
    how do I find out what’s happening? Who to complain?

regards
    z

They are a law unto themselves. Believe theres a few proactive solicitors who post on here, but the decent sized firms whose typical clients are owner occupiers moving house then forget it.

Theres a property I'm buying presently (decent solicitor on it) and the other side haven't responded to a letter dated I think 17th January yet.

Comment

I did a lot of research and found that the conveyancing company was decently rated though it had mixed comments from past clients. However question remains as to whether they can hold on to the deposit for such a long time after having confirmed that the exchange was last week? Why would they delay anyway? And how can I get them to explain the delay ? They are not replying to emails or phone calls... what can i do about it?

Comment

Call round?

Comment

Thanks WFD they are not coming on the phone or replying to email. Its been 10 days since deposit was paid into the solicitors account. I can visit the office but not sure if that is going to help. Any other ideas on how to deal with this? Can any Authority/ law body intervene?

Comment

Perhaps they've done a runner. I would call round if you can. Or call from a different number.

Comment

If you are using a firm of solicitors for conveyancing , you should have been given a letter to say you are accepted as client after the firm has done its due-diligence . Its a requirement of the Land Registry and Law Society . You can make a complaint to the SRA ( Solicitors Regulation Authority ) against the solicitor handling your purchase. .

If you are using a cheap conveyancing company ( no solicitor), then you should check where to make complaints.

Your deposit money should be paid into the conveyancing firm's client account. You should watch the expiry date of your mortgage loan offer. Six months is waiting is unusual a long time . Watch out for any change of bank account details just before you pay the deposit to the conveyancing firm's bank account in case of fraud.

Comment

Hi Ziggy,

That's an absolutely horrible situation to be in and I do highly sympathise.

In the first instance I would personally recommend that you threaten to report the firm and raise a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman - their website provides further details on the complaints procedure (you do have to raise a formal complaint with your conveyancers first - but sometimes just threatening to go to the Ombudsman may push things forward in your favour).

To be honest, this is a problem that people encounter a lot when they decide to instruct lower end conveyancers/solicitors. It's human nature to want to save on costs, and whilst the difference of £100 - £400 might seem a lot, in the grand scheme of things (relative to the purchase price and ancillary costs) you're talking about an overall difference of less than a fraction of a percentage (sometimes less than 0.1%) between quotations.

Comment

They are communicating with me regularly and keep giving me a date of exchange but havent done the exchange yet. Yes i did make a big mistake by hiring a low end conveyancing firm. Lesson learnt. I am planning to wait until end of the month. If things dont progress I will have to go down the route of making a formal complaint.
                  thanks all for your valuable advice.

Comment

Don't expect much help from either the SRA or the legal ombudsman. In my opinion the SRA appears to be there to protect solicitors. To complain to LO you first have to complain to the solicitors and wait 2 months for their reply. The ombudsman has had a complaint of mine now for 8 months and still not issued a resolution. And make sure you send it by registered post or they will claim they haven't had it. Sadly an expensive solicitor is not a guarantee of good service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Request to Sign Two x TR1 - Transfer of Equity
                      Claymore
                      Hi

I am in the process of doing a transfer of equity. No changes to mortgage, just removing one person from title and the mortgage. The conveyancers I am using have asked us to sign two copies of the TR1. I have not come across this before and I have used this firm of solicitors several...
                      23-07-2018, 11:19 AM
                    • Registering Unused and Unregistered Land - Advice Please!
                      MrsMcGoo
                      Hi I'm looking for some direction and advice please.

My grandfather built and lived in the house that I now live in back in 1954 until he died in 2002. My parents lived here with him for over 40 years, I was born here and I officially purchased the house from my parents in 2012 and now
                      18-07-2018, 21:38 PM
                    • Reply to Registering Unused and Unregistered Land - Advice Please!
                      Lawcruncher
                      Have you occupied or used the land you want to own for any purpose? If so, for how long?

Is the land you want to own fenced off from your land?

A sketch plan showing the (a) the land you own (b) the land you wish to own and (c) the land adjoining the land you wish to own would...
                      19-07-2018, 08:28 AM
                    • Boundary Dispute - Boundary moved over time - Can the lost land be reclaimed?
                      john deere guy
                      Hi
                      Looking for a bit of advice on A row of terraced house with a rear access lane.

House A - The first sale of this house has conveyance plans drawn in 1958 showing an area of this lane it owns. Approximately a 10m strip of the lane. This house had the same owner until 2017 whereby...
                      18-07-2018, 18:29 PM
                    • Tree issue
                      Jess Bailey
                      hi

i would really appreciate some advice. I have a tree in my garden very close to the building. I had a tree surgeon come and look at it and he has advised it should be taken down as it’s very close and could cause subsidence. There is no order on it but in my lease it says I should...
                      10-07-2018, 18:54 PM
                    • Reply to Tree issue
                      Jess Bailey
                      Thanks. That’s really helpful. I will send off the first email and see what they say. Thanks again...
                      14-07-2018, 16:59 PM
                    • Reply to Tree issue
                      eagle2
                      I don’t think that anyone wants to remove trees unless it is necessary and I have tree surgeons calling on me at regular intervals proposing works and I would definitely not accept the first piece of advice or use some of them.

I would obtain two independent quotes in writing and if they...
                      14-07-2018, 09:21 AM
                    • Reply to Tree issue
                      Jess Bailey
                      I have done that and the tree surgeon is writing an email. I’m not sure they care though. Is there anything legally I can do and is it worth me asking the building insurers to take a look at it? Thanks...
                      14-07-2018, 08:26 AM
                    • Reply to Tree issue
                      eagle2
                      Has the tree surgeon put his advice in writing? If not, ask him to do so and then you can send it to the freeholder. It may be worth asking for a second opinion anyway.
                      13-07-2018, 08:40 AM
                    • Reply to Tree issue
                      Jess Bailey
                      It is my garden but they put it in my lease that I have to ask permission to have that tree down. It’s in my garden. I don’t think their reasons are strong enough. I have told them it could cause damage and they said they didn’t think it would....
                      12-07-2018, 21:01 PM
                    Working...
                    X