Freeholder Notice of charge fee for Remortgage

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder Notice of charge fee for Remortgage

I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of leaseholds and remortgage fees will be able to help and advise :-)

I am in the process of remortgaging (changing lender) a flat that is leasehold.

The my new lender's solicitor has asked the freeholder whether there is a "Notice of charge fee", to which the freeholder has responded with a fee of £285.

Does this seem reasonable?

I have included below a quote of text from section 4(iii) of the lease that I think may be relevant? It mentions a fee of £3.15 - but it is not obvious to me whether this relates to the "Notice of charge" fee that the Lessor is attempting to charge? I would appreciate it if someone with more expertise is able to advise whether this clause is relevant, and what action if any I should take?

4. The Lessee hereby covenants with the lessors and the management company as follows:-
    (iii) Within one calendar month after any such document or instrument as is hereinafter mentioned shall be executed or shall operate or take effect or purport to operate or take effect to produce to the solicitors for the Management Company and the Lessors respectively every transfer mortgage or legal charge of this lease or the demised premises and also any underlease of the demised premises for a term exceeding twenty-one years and every assignment or transfer of such underlease and also every probate letters of administration order of court or other instrument effecting or evidencing a devolution of title of the said term or any such underlease for the purpose of registration and for such registration to pay each of such solicitors a fee of Three pounds and fifteen pence in respect of each such document or instrument so produced and to deliver to the Management Company each deed of convenant referred to in paragraph (ii) (b) of this clause duly stamped

Many thanks in advance!

Looks like £6.30 to me. Whilst inflation has probably made that worthless, the amount that is being asked for is far too much for what is basically recording who to try and recover service charge defaults from.

If your solicitor had read the lease...then he would have known how much to send!

Now he has to send a letter telling the freeholder that he is only entitled to the fee shown in the lease which, of course, he will charge you for...

Thank you for your replies.

I don't have a solicitor. The legal company is acting on behalf of the lender, and so I have assumed it is down to me to try to negotiate with the lessee.

I've also reviewed the lease and it states the following:

"The parties hereto hereby apply to the Chief land Registrar to enter a restriction on the register of the title to this lease in the following terms:- 'Except under an Order of the Registrar no transfer is to be registered without the consent of ...'"

This suggests that the lessee could just refuse consent unless I pay the £285.

I don't really want to delay the re-mortgage process too long; perhaps the best course of action is for me to write to the lessee and state that I will grudgingly pay it so that the re-mortgage is not delayed, and that I will be pursuing them later to obtain further details as to why the charge is so high

Latest Activity

• Requesting evidence of title
          On peice of unregistered land, if challenged by someone claiming ownership, how should one request evidence of title? If they own the neighbouring land, would historic deeds show a map detailing boundaries?
          23-03-2018, 02:05 AM
        • Right of way over unowned land
          Hello everyone,

I’ve been trying to get clarification over land next to my property but am at a lost end.

My house is accessed by a muddy track off a residential street. We have a neighbour each side of our property. These houses have driveways going onto a main road which...
          13-03-2018, 18:37 PM
        • Reply to Right of way over unowned land
          In order to find out if this land has a registered owner, or if it remains unregistered, you can use the Land Registry web-site and download a form SIM which is for a Search of the Index Map.

You need to complete the form and identify the land you want to search for by using your own title...
          20-03-2018, 16:06 PM
        • Share of freehold - loft ownership question
          Hi, I live in a ground floor 1925 purpose built maisonette in London. Above me is a first floor purpose built maisonette. Between us we have a share of freehold. The demised premises are defined in our leases as, "the First Floor Flat" and the "Ground Floor Flat". There is a substantial...
          20-03-2018, 14:40 PM
        • Reply to Right of way over unowned land
          Whoever owns it it is unlikely they have a duty to maintain it. Sometimes it states in the deeds you have pay to a proportion of maintenance costs but as it isn't in your deeds it probably won't be in your neighbour's either. As the neighbours have driveways and don't need to use the lane it seems unlikely...
          18-03-2018, 21:36 PM
        • Right of First Refusal
          Hi, I'm desperate to receive some correct information. We are in the process of a leasehold enfranchisement on a block of flats. Anyway, we have reached the stage where our solicitor has notified the freeholder we wish to exercise our right to enfranchise, then our valuer pointed out that if the freehold...
          12-03-2018, 20:49 PM
        • Reply to Right of First Refusal
          Thank you - that would be wonderful. I like the phrase "under the radar" - that's exactly what it was! The leaseholders are holding a meeting this week and we will decide how to proceed. Most likely we need to find a solicitor or as you suggest a barrister who is an expert in this field.
          18-03-2018, 12:36 PM
        • Title Splitting while retaining ownership - 1 plot into 3 houses...

I have a plot of land in Chelmsford with a 9 Bed HMO on it, I have planning in to split the HMO into two houses and to build a new house on the end - pre agreed at pre app, expected in 2 weeks.

The property is currently owned in our SPV Limited Company.

14-03-2018, 20:06 PM
        • Reply to Title Splitting while retaining ownership - 1 plot into 3 houses...

It's sounding like the only way to do this will to be - Set up a new Ltd, wholly owned by the original Ltd (therefore no tax in transferring the property) and move the properties across which will then provide the transfer required for the access rights etc. to be granted. ...
          16-03-2018, 21:36 PM
        • Longish sub lease from a longish headlease - should I be concerned?
          Amy courtney
          Hi there,
          I am in the process of buying a leasehold flat and have found out today that I’m actually buying a sub lease of a headlease owned by Camden council.
          The sublease is 96 years and can’t be extended as the headlease is also 96 years.
          We only plan to stay in the property...
          27-02-2018, 21:02 PM