Why Do Light Industrial Unit Landlords have issues with PT Studio/ micro Gym usage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks island girl

Yes its been quite frustrating...but from other gym owners some of them have had lengthy periods trying to find units that work for both sides. I had one query recently where the agent seemed really positive as another unit on the same site had just gone through change of use for dog care venue...but then came back with a no from the landlord but with no clear feedback after I asked what the concerns were.

Retail is rarely a good fit for this type of gym. Noise would bother neighbouring shops pretty badly. Plus it has to be a ground floor unit with ceilings at least 15ft high ideally (rope climbs and pull up rigs). Olympic weightlifting requires dropping of weights from overhead onto the rubber flooring. It doesn't bode well for retail unless its standalone unit. Probably a great retail unit is a former car dealership...but the rent would be too pricey for most start ups I imagine. Ground floor units at old mills are good options if lucky to find one available.

Comment

I see the problem and cannot suggest much to help I am afraid. LLs being happier to pay rates on empty property than let to a new venture seems odd!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Parking issues.

When a series of units are all industrial, there will be a few employees there all day and a few visitors/deliveries. The staff parks in the staff bays and the vans unload in front of the roller shutter.

Anything where the public are coming onsite (and motor trade is a good example) will upset this balance.

Imagine your gym area is at capacity and your class is also at capacity and find a place with a parking space for each client and staff member.

The point about cars being dumped on verges/in other peoples spaces are valid points.

Then we come to building alterations....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Continuation or periodic tenancy
          Greasemonkey
          Hi I'm a newby so apologies if I miss something.

I rent 2 properties next to each other from the same landlord.

There has been much discussion and now I've been served with 2 opposed s25 notices one for each property.

Both properties are used in connection with...
          18-08-2017, 11:51 AM
        • Planning permission
          RidingS
          We have recently been contacted to say that a unit does not have planning for workshop use but for office only. We bought the unit(s) and have owned for a number of years and this unit was a workshop then (and not offices). What is the planning rule on this type of thing? All the units that surround...
          06-08-2017, 16:34 PM
        • Reply to Planning permission
          leaseholder64
          The limit is 4 years for unauthorised building work, unless it also violates an existing planning condition, in which case it is 10 years.

It is 10 years for unauthorised change of use.
          15-08-2017, 22:34 PM
        • Reply to Planning permission
          Always Problems
          Ask a Chartered Town Planner, and I thought that the breach had to be only 4 years...
          15-08-2017, 17:34 PM
        • S146 and rent arrears
          Lockwithoutstock
          Hi there,

Bit of help;

- Commercial Tenant has not paid rent on time or in full since February 2017
          - Then find out sub-letting and change of use is being applied/restructuring the building inside - both without permission
          - S146 served March 2017 to rectify by...
          12-07-2017, 19:38 PM
        • Reply to S146 and rent arrears
          Lockwithoutstock
          If I forfeit by peaceable entry, can I still apply for a repossession order? To secure having repossession.
          14-08-2017, 19:29 PM
        • Mixed use, Commercial law help needed!
          scooter08
          Advice needed, please.

We recently took our l/l to court for non-protection of deposit. To cut a long story short, the court dismissed the case on the grounds that the tenancy was of mixed use class due to use also renting a shop on the side of the house (in the extension) therefore commercial...
          05-08-2017, 09:22 AM
        • Reply to Mixed use, Commercial law help needed!
          scooter08
          So sorry for the delay I have been away and had no internet at all.

Thank you for the replies and sorry it's a bit vague. We rent a house and it has an extension on the side of the original house and within the extension is a shop that we also rent. When we first moved here I personally...
          12-08-2017, 12:33 PM
        • new ceiling
          cazuk12002
          Im opening cafe and I will be putting up fireboards over the original ceiling in the kitchen but I'm also doing the ceiling out the front where customers wil sit and eat ,
          im leaving the original ceiling there but putting in a new lower ceiling with just plasterboards that not fireboard, only...
          11-08-2017, 22:21 PM
        • Reply to new ceiling
          JK0
          Have a word with the building control officer at the local council.
          11-08-2017, 23:02 PM
        Working...
        X