Can a long term lease ever be quashed if circumstances alter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a long term lease ever be quashed if circumstances alter?

I am a director of my golf club. We have a long term lease with the landowner. The annual rent was made up of a fixed amount plus a percentage of turnover. This has totalled up to £70k per annum. The golf course went through some difficult times and five years ago a deal was reached whereby we paid a reduced rent for a period of time. Both parties had a 12 month break clause inserted in the five year amendment. We are currently in the final year of the five year agreement and our rent is now £35k for this year. This is going to be a struggle for us to pay. When the five year agreement comes to an end the landlord is insisting we go back to the original terms of the lease with no obligation to negotiate on the rent we pay. The golf industry has gone through many changes over the intervening period with membership declining and general participation in the sport declining too. Is there any precedent for having the original lease quashed, forcing our landlords to negotiate a new lease on more realistic terms?

Is the lease within the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land...enant_Act_1954 ?
    Do you think the landlord may have other potential tenant lined up ?

Comment

Unless the terms of the tenancy allow it, a tenant cannot bring a lease to an end because of a change of circumstances. It looks like your only options are to exercise the break clause or pay the increased rent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Late Section 25 Notice LTA 1954
        by Chichono
        Hi
        My tenants protected lease expires very very shortly. She initially intimated she wished to stay but negotiations were not forthcoming and it now appears she is even considering leaving. No notices have been served by either party. To exasperate matters the quarters rent has not been paid....
        15-05-2022, 14:43 PM
      • Reply to Late Section 25 Notice LTA 1954
        by Lawcruncher
        A section 25 notice can be served during the last 12 months of a fixed term.

It is certainly a good idea to serve one now to protect your position if the tenant keeps vacillating.
        16-05-2022, 08:47 AM
      • What agreement for gym let?
        by AlfKatona
        I have Gym .I want to let ? what agreement I can use? Tenants for NLA ?Please.A Katona
        13-05-2022, 11:56 AM
      • Online Commercial Advertising
        by hashmio
        Please can anyone advise as to which online websites/portals offer the cheapest rate to advertise commercial property on Rightmove, Zoopla, Primelocation, etc.

I would like to advertise my commercial property online - and trying to find the best/cheapest/flexible....
        11-05-2022, 12:53 PM
      • Lease forfeiture
        by Femilicious
        Hello i hope someone can help me. I have commercial tenant that has paid rent off and on during the rent moratorium . She is owing about 5 months so far. There was a problem with the roof leaking which was my responsibility. I had gotten a quote and asked her to pay rent owed to my builder so he can...
        09-05-2022, 07:19 AM
      • A right to re- enter a commercial property
        by yellowb2
        Hello everyone please I need help , My tenant is owing £9,500 for rent and not making any effort to pay. I hired commercial solicitor, he wrote a letter to her with no result. He ask me to find a bailiff to change the lock but the bailiff I hired said he can not because it look like someone is living...
        04-05-2022, 19:23 PM
      • Reply to A right to re- enter a commercial property
        by JK0
        I had some commercial tenants try letting rooms out. I told them to get rid of the beds or I would report them to the council. Regarding the rent, I got a CCJ. When that did not get paid, I told the guy to move out, or I would apply for his bankruptcy.
        04-05-2022, 19:57 PM
      • Reply to Shared Electricity Metre With Residential Flat
        by Another Fine Mess
        Surely if you are responsible for the electricity which enters your shop anything after the Main Meter is your responsibility which you have accepted as you have been paying the electricity bills, I would get an electrician to give you a price to fit a Sub-Meter and get a date 2 weeks in advance where...
        03-05-2022, 16:24 PM
      • Reply to Shared Electricity Metre With Residential Flat
        by Cousin_IT
        Thanks for the responses guys, I obviously need to check the lease and see exactly what I signed up for. I'm less concerned about recovering what has passed, I just wanted to know what my 'rights' were in insisting that the issue is sorted going forward, especially with the sharp rise in my bill. ...
        29-04-2022, 07:53 AM
      • Reply to Commercial property
        by Flashback1966
        Solicitors should not be destroying important documents. A document is important if there is a possibility that someone will need it.

My solicitor says they routinely do this, so as to avoid any come back for any negligence....
        28-04-2022, 20:07 PM
      Working...
      X