Help...where do I stand legally?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help...where do I stand legally?

I'm just about to sign a commercial lease for offices which I will turn into a therapy centre with 2 treatment rooms. I will use one of the rooms for myself and planned on letting other therapists use the other room for a fee.
    Any advice on how I or if I can do this in a way that it would NOT be classed as subletting or licencing?
    I plan on having full access at all times and letting other therapist use the room would be on a casual basis...no contracts, agreements etc.....just if the room is free when they want it they can use it for an hour for a fee.
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    D.

Whilst you can set up an arrangement which is not a tenancy, it will have at the very least have to be a licence as "licence" is really just another word for "permission". For example, a ticket to see a play is a licence. The scenario you describe sounds fine for a licence, but since it is easy to get things wrong and unwittingly create a tenancy - the devil can be in the detail - you should discuss your plans with your conveyancer. You do of course need to make sure that the lease allows what you propose without having to seek consent.

Comment

You will also need to consider the planning permission. A therapy centre comes under Use Class D1, whereas offices are B1 (or A2). You may need to get your landlord's okay to the breach of planning, which might be possible for the temporary arrangement you have in mind.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X