Does change of landlord requires a new lease to be signed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does change of landlord requires a new lease to be signed?

Hi!

My case is:
    When we singed our lease the landlord in the lease was two persons - one trading as a Ltd company, the other trading as an individual (that was in October 2010). Sometime in 2011 (I think) the gentleman trading as individual send as either a simple letter with the invoice due or an e-mail (don't remember now) saying that from now on it is only him who is the landlord and all future payments are to be made to him (he changed his trading name for this purpose to John Smith Properties, before it was only John Smith). I am 100% sure there was no official notes or things.
    Should a new lease be sgined, naming the current person as landlord?
    I am asking because due to the current market I can' afford the lease anymore and wan to surrender it but the landlord won't have it (lease ends October 2015). I thought that maybe since he isn't actually the landlord on the original lease signed I can get out of it.
    I'd really appreciate some constructive input on this one.
    Thanks

No new lease needs to be signed on a change of landlord. When there is a new landlord he steps into the shoes of the old one. None of the parties' rights or obligations change.

When there is a change of landlord it is a wise precaution to ask for evidence of the change. This is best given in the form of a letter from the outgoing landlord or his lawyer authorising all future rent to be paid to the new landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Shop Change of Use
      by gainsay
      Hi Folks,
      I have an empty shop . Someone privately has expressed an interest in in opening a dog grooming parlour for which (I believe) a change of use to sui generis would be required. At present it is A1.
      My question is who should pay for and then apply for planning permission? Should...
      25-05-2022, 11:12 AM
    • Reply to Shop Change of Use
      by Another Fine Mess
      I found that when I was a tenant of Business Premises that with both of my leases (different Local Authorities) that they insisted that I pay them for their Legal Fees for the creation of the leases, And having also been a landlord of shops I would do the following if you dont mind my suggestion....
      26-05-2022, 08:36 AM
      by Lawcruncher
      I am not surprised you are confused. They keep tinkering with the uses classes. It is difficult to keep up.
      26-05-2022, 08:25 AM
      by gainsay
      Thank you for your response.
      Through internet searches i too have come to the conclusion that a pet grooming parlour would indeed fall under the new Class E.
      Indeed the Planning Inspectorate at an appeal hearing in 2014 stated that (at the time ) a dog grooming parlour was B1 which now...
      26-05-2022, 08:03 AM
      by gainsay
      Thanks so much for your reply....
      26-05-2022, 07:55 AM
      by Section20z
      In England class A was abolished in September 2020 and replaced by Class E.
      A dog grooming parlour would not require change of use
      25-05-2022, 15:47 PM
      by Lawcruncher
      The usual way to deal with this is to enter into an agreement for lease completion of which is conditional on the required planning permission being obtained within an agreed period. The terms will be subject to negotiation, but generally it will be the tenant who (under an obligation to the landlord)...
      25-05-2022, 14:39 PM
    • Reply to lease by reference
      by barcobird
      Thank you, your advice is much appreciated.
      25-05-2022, 09:40 AM
    • lease by reference
      by barcobird
      I have been leasing a commercial property to a very good tenant, his lease has ended and i wish to renew it with a form renew a lease by reference which I believe is the simplest and cheapest way of doing it. Can this form be downloaded from the internet or is it a solicitor job?...
      24-05-2022, 18:14 PM
    • Reply to lease by reference
      by Lawcruncher
      Like a lot of legal drafting, a lease by reference is straightforward if the case is straightforward and you know what you are doing. There are points to watch and traps for the unwary.

Ideally, on a "renewal" the opportunity should be taken to review the terms of the lease to...
      25-05-2022, 06:59 AM
    Working...
    X