Would a sandwich bar encourage mice into adjoining residential property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would a sandwich bar encourage mice into adjoining residential property?

I own a maisonette with self contained shop below. The property also adjoins terraced houses. We have a potential tenant for the shop who wants to use it as a sandwich bar. Would this encourage mice and unpleasant smells into the residential properties, in particular the maisonette above and behind the shop, and the house next door?

In the past we have always held out for non-catering tenants but are we being over cautious?

If anyone has any experience of this I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Beth

Someone offering to pay rent is a valuable asset in these days of landlords having to pay business rates on empty properties.

I would snap their hand off, and buy a few mouse traps if you're concerned.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth Dawson View Post
        sandwich bar. Would this encourage mice and unpleasant smells
        into the residential properties,
        Yes probably, and if they cook stuff to put in sandwiches, smells will
        be smelt !
        You wont be able to put mouse traps in the shop, as that would be
        tresspass.
        but then thefood agency, or whatever they are called, should be
        notified.
        Suggest you inform all private premises of your intention to let to
        person who intends to sell food, together with the adres and phone
        number of the authorities if any problems arise with vermin.

R.a.M.

Comment

I do not think a sandwich bar is likely to feature on anyone's list of businesses they would least like to have next door. I have never walked past or gone into a sandwich bar and been struck by any particular odour whether pleasant or unpleasant. If there is any cooking it will be minimal - not all day like a restaurant. Any sort of food on the premises will attract vermin. Indeed a second-hand bookshop may attract rats - rats certainly ate half my books when they were stored in someone's garage. I should just get on with it and do it. You can get your conveyancer to add appropriate provisions in the lease - that will not guarantee the place is kept vermin free, but it will give you something to point at if you need it.

Comment

Thanks for your helpful responses.

Comment

I think the A1 usage gives some protection as A1 states that no food is to be cooked on the premises - only at most heated up. I'll just have to make sure that rubbish is disposed of correctly.

Comment

As long as food is stored and disposed of correctly there should not be a problem. All food businesses should have a precautionary pest control proceedure in place and if you had a problem then your local environmental heath department would be able to help.

Another thing which I personally regard as genreally more troublesome is the use of deep fat frying equipment. I would consider not allowing deep fat frying on the premises as...
                1. It can be a potential fire risk.
                2. It often causes unpleasant cooking smells
                3. It requires an addiquate extractor system to be installed which can be unsightly & noisy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X