Commercial tenant refuses to leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for advises, been very comforting to know I have choices.

Comment

Wight Knight, Thank you for posting a link to my information. I think the link is to an old site. The up-todate guides I offer free may be found here - http://www.michaellever.co.uk/theren.../mlguides.html

---

Re the op, it not enough to state in the lease that the tenancy is contracted out. A proper formal procedure must be complied with, including as another has said, serving notice before the lease is entered into.

Since the tenant is under the impression she's there for "life" because you didn't comply with the proper procedure, I'd suggest instructing your solicitor to serve s25 notice opposing renewal on three non-compensatory grounds in the LTA54, s30, namely:

(a) where under the current tenancy the tenant has any obligations as respects therepair and maintenance of the holding, that the tenant ought not to be granted anew tenancy in view of the state of repair of the holding, being a state resultingfrom the tenant’s failure to comply with the said obligations;
      (b) that the tenant ought not to be granted a new tenancy in view of his persistentdelay in paying rent which has become due;
      (c) that the tenant ought not to be granted a new tenancy in view of othersubstantial breaches by him of his obligations under the current tenancy, orfor any other reason connected with the tenant’s use or management of the holding;

After the s25 notice is served, your solicitor should be instructed to apply to the court to get the (non) renewal proceedings underway. There is no certainty the tenant won't want to defend the claim but the cost to the tenant in going to court might be enough to deter. Also, even if proceedings are underway, it is still possible for the tenant's defence to be struck out if she doesn't comply with the court's timetable.

Re the non-payment of rent, it doesn't have to be be for long. But it is vital that you write to her and make it clear in no uncertain terms that you require payment forthwith and if not forthcoming you will instruct bailiffs without further notice and then do so if she still doesn't pay. Otherwise the court could conclude that you have acquiesced to late payment.

if the lease you've granted would be considered a business tenancy and assuming the tenancy would qualify for renewal rights then the 2 month notice to quit by you is of no consequence.

With respect, by the sound of it, it doesn't come across that you know what you are doing so I really do think you should get advice from a solicitor experienced with business tenancy law. I appreciate that'll cost you but better that than be stuck with an awkward tenant for 'life'!

Comment

I've just skim-read the contents of the 'lease' (which I've done after posting yesterday my last comment).

Since your 'lease' says the tenant has non-exclusive possession, why grant a lease in the first place? Why not simply grant a licence in which case the problem you are encountering re getting possession would not apply.

Calling a document a lease or licence doesn't make it one. For occupancy, there are various tests to decide the difference between a tenancy and a licence. This 'lease' is a mix and mingle of the sort of of terms and conditions one would expect of one but not the other. Assuming you've used the same format for other lettings in the building, I rather suspect you've been lucky so far that other occupiers haven't been as awkward about their rights.

A lease is simply the document, that is all. So the question is not whether it is a lease or a licence, but whether a tenancy or a licence. The next question is why sort of tenancy, one that would qualify for renewal rights or not. Unless the correct procedure for not qualifying for renewal rights is followed then by default the tenant would qualify for renewal rights.

As I've said before I appreciate the preference for saving on costs but not if it increases the likelihood of problems. I have getting on for 46 years experience in commercial property and business tenancy advice and despite my vast knowledge of the subject I'd never dream of preparing a lease myself. Much better to get an experienced lawyer to draft it in terminology.

Drafting a lease or agreement may look easy to do, copy this copy that, but there is a language to business tenancy law that if one doesn't speak, let alone understand, then the chances of coming a-cropper are increased.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease surrender document help!!!
          Candrea
          Hi! Need some advice..

Signed a 5 year tenancy, amd 12 hours after i was informed that the courts have stayed the eviction at my existing premises.

Now stuck in 2 leases.

Explained my situation to new landlord and after negotiations (me paying paying all...
          02-07-2017, 16:11 PM
        • Reply to Lease surrender document help!!!
          Candrea
          Paid 2400 fees, 600 rent, and im going into month 3 of the business rates due to him not signing. So nearly £3600. Plus thw legal fees ive incurred.
          24-07-2017, 08:54 AM
          MrShed
          What have you paid so far in total?
          24-07-2017, 08:32 AM
          Candrea
          Update.....

After getting ignored for 3 weeks, we have spoken to the landlord.

He is now saying that our agreement 1, and agreement 2 dont count as it was his son that sent the texts and emails - not him. And that he wont sign the surrender unless we pay 6 months rent (£3000)...
          24-07-2017, 07:54 AM
        • Garage let on verbal agreement, three months rent unpaid
          Jerseytina
          Hi - I am new to this site, we have let out our garage without any agreement in place, only verbal. The tenant has not paid for 3 months and is refusing to communicate although he is picking up messages. Are we legally entitled to sell the contacts of the garage which includes a car!

Thank...
          17-07-2017, 11:47 AM
        • Reply to Garage let on verbal agreement, three months rent unpaid
          islandgirl
          Bet you don't need to go any further than sending the letter (2 post offices, cert of posting from each just to be belt and braces in case you do have to do so). The person will surface red faced and angry as soon as he gets the letter. Just ensure he can't get the stuff in the garage until you have...
          20-07-2017, 17:36 PM
        • Commercial rent review, expert report
          desamax
          Hi i am in the process of a rent review being done by an independent valuer. They have requested the below statement. I am representing myself on this occasion, can anyone advise the best way for me to compile with the request to be my own expert witness and complete the below to satisfaction?
          13-07-2017, 13:55 PM
        • Reply to Commercial rent review, expert report
          desamax
          Hi again, I need to draw up an " Agreed statement of facts" on the property and the comparable properties.
          I obtained the information on my properties sq m from the vendors agent and the VOA web site, that was exactly the same size wise .
          I obtained the comparable properties info...
          20-07-2017, 14:49 PM
          ram
          See Guide_to_tenants_possessions_left_at_property__LLS _.pdf
          http://www.landlordlegalsolutions.co...erty__LLS_.pdf

Torts starts on page 3.
          Because you should be able to change the lock, and take possession of building for notified rent arrears, you then have possession of everything
          20-07-2017, 13:50 PM
          islandgirl
          Send a torts interference with goods notice to the person - find the legal wording and explain that if goods not moved by a certain date you will sell them and use the proceeds to pay unpaid rent for the garage etc. Anything left over will be returned to the tenant after all costs. Usually this makes...
          20-07-2017, 12:39 PM
        Working...
        X