Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feuding tenants

Hi,

Wondering if I can seek advice on current issues with our tenants. We have tenants sharing a property for retail purposes, one upstairs and one downstairs shop in the property.

They are both regularly late with rent and both had several cheques bounce last year. They are also constantly calling to complain about each other. The feuding is mostly because one is complaining about the standard of customer service the other provides and says that impacts on her business. This week apparently the bailiffs have been to try and gain access to the upstairs property. I have found out today that the tenant upstairs has also had CCTV installed to spy on the other one who is apparently bringing in competitors and meddling with her property.

It is a major hassle for me as you can imagine and quite frankly I would rather not have any tenants than have this.

I am not sure where I stand as a landlord and how much to get involved in their feuding. I am not sure to what level I am liable for any damage they are doing to each other's business. One has a basic rolling contract and the other a 12 month contract which is up at the end of Feb. Can I ask the one at the end of Feb to leave?

Sorry for information overload! Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Are the properties competing businesses and you let to them? If so you maybe liable - see Derogation from grant
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Their feuding is not your concern and how they run their respective business is their choice.

To be rid of them both, you could oppose renewal on expiry of their tenancies (assuming both inside LTA54 - if not then simply don't renew) on ground of persistent delay in payment of rent. But to oppose successfully you would have to show that you've not stood for any nonsense re late payment, you've instructed bailiffs and have made it clear whenever that late payment will not be tolerated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Commercial premises contracts
        HantsAgent
        I'm in the process of buying an existing business (estate agency) and I've negotiated a new lease with the owner of the shop premises.

I've read through it in detail and, whilst my property experience is not in the commercial industry, I'm happy with the terms and there doesn't look to...
        15-01-2018, 10:57 AM
      • Reply to Commercial premises contracts
        Lorimer
        Key things to watch out for in a commercial lease (and which could affect the success of your business) are as follows:

1. Whether the lease is inside or outside Sections 24-28 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954
        2. Whether the rent review intervals are fair
        3. Whether the...
        16-01-2018, 09:10 AM
      • Is my Landlord Being Unreasonable in Delaying giving consent to assign?
        Serginder
        Hi

I took on a 15 year lease on an empty unit at £20000 pa +vat since 2011, and its not been the best of experiences!

Amongst the experiences was when we decided to sell the business back in June 2015, we asked the landlord via solicitor for permission to assign the business...
        26-01-2016, 17:08 PM
      • Reply to Is my Landlord Being Unreasonable in Delaying giving consent to assign?
        Serginder
        Hi I forgot I had posted this!

just as an update, the lease eventually got registered, albiet a draft lease, albiet a draft lease which was dated 3 days prior to the actual lease, this was not discovered till the 11th hour, when the deal was ready to complete.

Despite the...
        12-01-2018, 19:33 PM
      • Electric bill
        Raiden328i
        I'll try to explain this as best I can. My wifes old shop we live above and she moved her business to a bigger place but as she was there a long time the gas and electric ran our flat as well. A friend then rented the shop and the utilities were included in the rent. After 2 years he moved out and...
        12-01-2018, 11:19 AM
      • Reply to Electric bill
        nukecad
        Get an electrician to check how the meters are wired.

There are three posibilities.
        1. The meters are seperate supplies, one for the shop, one for the flat. (Unlikely if you only have one bill and it's increased like you say).
        2. There is one main meter and a sub-meter for the flat or shop.
        12-01-2018, 14:17 PM
      • Landlord Electric, Gas and Fire Checjs
        HappyFriendlyLL
        It's been some time since the electrics, gas and fire safety have been inspected at a commercial property, can anyone advise on the best way of getting these done and paid for by the tenant?

Lease has terms making tenant responsible for ensuring premises meet legislation.

Many...
        08-09-2017, 15:13 PM
      • Reply to Landlord Electric, Gas and Fire Checjs
        HappyFriendlyLL
        Thanks for the replies.

A letter to tenant pointing out where in lease the responsibility is outlined along with details of what is expected from the checks did the trick.

Now to chase up on documentation as tenant says everything is complete....
        12-01-2018, 13:12 PM
      • Challenging unfair service charge agreement
        Gary Paul
        I am one of the 10 freeholders in a block of 10 flats used mainly for holiday lets. There are three flats at the basement level at the back of the building, each with a decking area. These flats are accessed via the decking. I own one of these.
        The other 7 flats are in the main body of the building...
        08-01-2018, 11:44 AM
      • Reply to Challenging unfair service charge agreement
        AndrewDod
        As above -- fairness has nothing at all to do with it. You purchased a lease. The lease contained certain clauses. The price for purchase of the lease was (or should have been) a reflection of what it was you purchased.

If the lease says all flats pay for maintenance of a lift or the roof,...
        09-01-2018, 12:22 PM
      Working...
      X