sex shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sex shop

Hi, Just out of interest, I know its a bit strange but one of the commercials I bought was a sex shop, again mainly for the 4 residential units it came with.

We had some issues with the bank but I just wondered if anyone had any idea about resale of this building? Do you think it would put people off?

The good thing is that this is a national chain with over 40 stores so it is a very good tenant, its not quite Ann Summers and certainly a bit more seedy with some eye opening stuff but I just wondered with this being a national company would I get a great price upon selling? Or will a lot of people be put off? Any idea on what rent multiple for this?

Just as a comment,

I would not entertain renting or buying a flat on top of a Sex shop,
    ever. And I got there to view, I would just turn around and walk away,
    and not even wait for the agent.

Comment

The flats actually have a complete seperate access and we managed to let them all no problem, they have nothing to do with the shop or brothels and it is possible to enter them without actually seeing the shop but it was obviously a concern for us.

When we originally showed it to the bank they said they had concerns from a reputational point of view about the shop but when we showed them that it was a national chain and had a strong lease they were ok. I can see it obviously does strike a nerve and may need a more adventurous investror if we ever come to sell, no wonder the yield on the building was over 20%!!

Comment

The big advantage about sex shops as tenants, is the council will be more pro-active about granting change of use to get rid of the them!
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Wouldn't bother me. A restaurant or fast food outlet, that would put me off.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Anyone living in the property and having a dinner party would never be short of conversation :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
              Anyone living in the property and having a dinner party would never be short of conversation :-)
              Strange dinner parties you go to !

I have never talked sex at dinner, and see absolutely no reason for
              it, other than sex mad males perpetuating their lust and forcing it on
              others who do not wish to think about a "quick fix" or "kick" out of
              degrading a conversation.

Comment

When you read the prohibitions on user that most leases contain, sex shop is often amongst them, along with betting office, sale of alcohol, fun fair, lunatic asylum, and residential.

Ignoring the squeamish, prudish, and God-fearing, I think it's old-fashioned to mark down the value because of the occupier's use. When all's said and done it's only on lease and a lease can be ended.

Comment

Claymore, can I get an invite to one of your dinner parties?

Comment

Once had to remove goods from a sex shop, the worrying stuff is in the back room!

I must say, sex shop "goods" sold better than normal stuff at the auction.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Garage let on verbal agreement, three months rent unpaid
                      Jerseytina
                      Hi - I am new to this site, we have let out our garage without any agreement in place, only verbal. The tenant has not paid for 3 months and is refusing to communicate although he is picking up messages. Are we legally entitled to sell the contacts of the garage which includes a car!

Thank...
                      17-07-2017, 11:47 AM
                    • Reply to Garage let on verbal agreement, three months rent unpaid
                      islandgirl
                      Bet you don't need to go any further than sending the letter (2 post offices, cert of posting from each just to be belt and braces in case you do have to do so). The person will surface red faced and angry as soon as he gets the letter. Just ensure he can't get the stuff in the garage until you have...
                      20-07-2017, 17:36 PM
                    • Commercial rent review, expert report
                      desamax
                      Hi i am in the process of a rent review being done by an independent valuer. They have requested the below statement. I am representing myself on this occasion, can anyone advise the best way for me to compile with the request to be my own expert witness and complete the below to satisfaction?
                      13-07-2017, 13:55 PM
                    • Reply to Commercial rent review, expert report
                      desamax
                      Hi again, I need to draw up an " Agreed statement of facts" on the property and the comparable properties.
                      I obtained the information on my properties sq m from the vendors agent and the VOA web site, that was exactly the same size wise .
                      I obtained the comparable properties info...
                      20-07-2017, 14:49 PM
                      ram
                      See Guide_to_tenants_possessions_left_at_property__LLS _.pdf
                      http://www.landlordlegalsolutions.co...erty__LLS_.pdf

Torts starts on page 3.
                      Because you should be able to change the lock, and take possession of building for notified rent arrears, you then have possession of everything
                      20-07-2017, 13:50 PM
                      islandgirl
                      Send a torts interference with goods notice to the person - find the legal wording and explain that if goods not moved by a certain date you will sell them and use the proceeds to pay unpaid rent for the garage etc. Anything left over will be returned to the tenant after all costs. Usually this makes...
                      20-07-2017, 12:39 PM
                    • Tenant with environmental health issues.
                      superstardeejay
                      We rent out light industrial units and empty, enclosed yards to small businesses. Recently we took on a tenant who runs a skip-hire business. They have 2 skip lorries and a bunch of skips. Filled skips are brought back to site and the rubbish sorted, and taken to the scrap yard.

THe...
                      07-07-2017, 16:04 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant with environmental health issues.
                      islandgirl
                      Ah ok sorry to hear that. I thought they might have some kind of machinery you could serve a tort notice on. All I can suggest is writing to them to give them a certain length of time to clear the skips (you would have to allow entry just for this) and telling them that if it is not done you will do...
                      20-07-2017, 12:36 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant with environmental health issues.
                      superstardeejay
                      There's no building, it's a yard. Currently there are around 30 skips full of stinking rubbish and quite a bit strewn around the yard....
                      20-07-2017, 08:51 AM
                      ram
                      As no one has answered.

No you cannot sell someone elses property.
                      When you say it's your garage, where is it, as you are in Commercial Property questions

Is it your house garage ?, Is it your leasehold flat garage ( which you cant let out )
                      Or is it your business
                      20-07-2017, 08:23 AM
                    Working...
                    X