Landlord wants to replace roof - have to vacate premises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord wants to replace roof - have to vacate premises

I run a business which has been in a rented office premises in a listed building for nearly twenty years. After cracks began appearing in the walls a survey by the landlord resulted in the need to completely replace the roof necessitating us leaving the premises for '7-8 weeks' (his estimate).

What are my rights in terms of notice given, compensation for loss of business, costs in the move etc etc.

I have 4 years of the lease to run and a break clause passed in 2011. Moving even temporarily is a huge upheaval and I might be better off moving to more suitable premises. The Landlord has suggested he might have somewhere for me to go.

Am I obliged to accept his temporary accommodation or do I have grounds for finding my own accommodation or even giving notice?

The landlord has suggested the works may commence next August or next spring. I need more concrete information to have a chance of relocating successfully in time.

Just also check it isn’t a full repairing and insuring lease you are in and any implications of that situation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X