Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Review commercial premises

Hello

I have a small shop that I lease out, but the costs of the loan I have are higher than the tennant is paying me, a rent review was due a year ago and I thought that it was not a good time to burden him with rent rises on top of all the other increases around.

I have now written to him after assessing the rent locally and said the new rent is to be increased for the next five year by 6% and he has refused to accept this. I feel like giving the keys to the bank and letting him take the pips out of the situation as I thought I was being more than fair by subsidising him and even with a 6% rise i will still be out of pocket by over a thousand pounds a year of costs over income.

Do you think 6% rise on a 15 year lease ie covering 5 years past and the next five to come is unfair I dont want and cant really afford to go to rent reviews etc at the shop is turning out to be a total mill stone around my neck as it is.

Is there anywhere I can see a graph of commercial rents so I can gather evidence to support my claim as think he is just trying it on knowing that I dont have the funds to go to law to support my case.

thanks for any comments

In future you need to ask for about double the increase you will accept. Then you can bargain down.

Comment

good point JKO

Comment

Your increase should be justified by referring to comparable transactions of similar property in similar location. In order of preference a) new lettings b) rent reviews.

Graphs or index's or % increase mean nothing and your tenant is entirely justified in resisting arguments on this basis.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X