Tenant's 'improvements'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant's 'improvements'

I have a shop with a flat above, currently vacant. The new tenant on assignment installed (with consent) air conditioning for the shop. Now at review, obviously I cannot count the air conditioning in the shop review, as it is a disregard, but they are saying that it reduces the value of the flat because of the noise of the extractors. Surely the 'disregard' works both ways, and I can ignore the effects of the air con in my valuation of the flat. has anybody any similar experience or case law I can quote? The tenant is Iceland Foods. All help appreciated!

It may come down to the precise wording of the lease or consent, but I think you are right that the basic principle has to be that a disregard is a disregard and that the premises are valued on the basis that the improvement or addition had never been made.

I think the response has to be: "Nice try - but no."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Repairs and maintenance
      by Jo Mason
      I am a live-in landlord, renting out a shop to joint tenants operating separate businesses in a shared space. The inclusive rent is set out in the Tenancy at Will (soon to be replaced with a Lease) but there is nothing to cover repairs and maintenance. I have been unsure about how this is worked out...
      16-02-2020, 15:18 PM
    • Commercial Lease - Tenant wants out
      by bald555
      Commercial Lease, 3 Years with 18 month break. 2 months early possession. Ltd Company with Personal Guarantor.

1st month into lease start and receive an email from tenant saying they are having financial problems and can't pay so will return the keys.

I obviously want to...
      11-02-2020, 09:49 AM
    • Reply to Commercial Lease - Tenant wants out
      by ATC
      I suggest you reply by saying you will accept back the keys for the purpose of putting the property on the market with an agent without accepting surrender, on the understanding that you will accept surrender immediately prior to granting a new lease. By this course of action the existing tenant remains...
      15-02-2020, 18:34 PM
      by Lawcruncher
      If you go into possession you end the lease and with it the right to any rent from the date of possession. Whilst offering the property to let on the open market may not amount to taking possession it is a risk according to precisely what you do. Bear in mind that if you maintain the lease is continuing...
      12-02-2020, 00:06 AM
      by bald555
      Many thanks, I did ask a solicitor online also and they advised to either let the 18 months run before enforcement or enforce now (month 1), take possession and claim the amount due until it is re-let?
      11-02-2020, 18:45 PM
      by Lawcruncher
      You can only sue for rent which is due.

You have to make what is a business decision. Do you maintain the lease and hope you get the rent for the next 18 months or call it a day and forfeit or accept a surrender? Bear in mind that if the tenant does not have the rent while in occupation...
      11-02-2020, 10:11 AM
    • Buy tenanted property with tenant holding over?
      by Michael 11
      Hello honoured members of LandlordZONE.
      I'm a newby in this forum.
      (Anyone remember that song the Eagles used to sing,"There's a new kid in Town"?)
      Here's the deal:
      I want to buy a small commercial property that I have spotted. It has a tenant in place - which is what...
      09-02-2020, 09:33 AM
    • Reply to Buy tenanted property with tenant holding over?
      by Michael 11
      Thank you JKO for helping out.
      The thing is this: What worries me is that I am planning to buy a property with tenants in whose lease has run out.
      Does that mean that they can now live in my property for free, and pay no rent to me?
      09-02-2020, 12:28 PM
    • Reply to Buy tenanted property with tenant holding over?
      by JK0
      In these days of low interest rates, I would suspect the motives of the seller. If the guy was paying his rent and service charge, I doubt seller could get a better return elsewhere.

I agree with your solicitor.
      09-02-2020, 10:10 AM
    • Tenant Won't Hand Keys
      by Mojojojo
      I own a commercial property with my sister. The lease was up for renewal in October but as we wanted to sell, the lease was not renewed. My sister did the notifying etc. The property is empty as in not functioning as a business and locked. The tenant did not pay September's rent.
      He won't hand...
      07-02-2020, 13:59 PM
    Working...
    X