High-handed clause 1: Rent reviews only if increasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-handed clause 1: Rent reviews only if increasing

I have three clauses I want to change in the lease I'm about to sign with a landlord for a retail property. This is my first time and I'm not sure which ones are worth fighting, which are standard for pretty much any tenant, and which are really nasty. So I'm putting them in separate threads so others can look them up later.

I know, you're all landlords and I'm a tenant, but I'll trust your opinions even more if you say something like "wow, I can demand that?"

Clause number one specifies that rent is to be reviewed every 2 years and readjusted to match current market pricing. But it specifies this will happen only if market pricing has increased. (!!!) Obviously I'd like to either make this clause symmetrical (review happens for lowered rent too), or remove it.

Am I likely to succeed? Is this "increased rent only" version standard?

Upward only rent review is pretty standard.

Every two years isn't though, it's mostly 3 or 5 years depending on the term of the lease. As this is your first venture I suggest you get a tenant only break clause at the first review too.

Comment

All these terms are negotiable. If you don't like them, be prepared to walk away. I think LL may compromise given the economic climate.

Comment

I've only ever known a handful of cases where rent reviews were upward or downward. This was usually because a fixed rental increase was unacceptable on a longer term. That said, the majority of that handful were probably within the last few years. It does appear to be more common, although it is still very rare.
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Three rules:

1. Never take a lease of commercial premises without taking legal advice from a knowledgeable lawyer.

2. Remember rule 1.

3. If you ignore rules 1 and 2 and it all goes horribly wrong blame yourself.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Quick turnaround lease
            ladybreaker
            Hello there, In the past I have had drafted lease for all my commercial property but something new has been pointed out to me that if the tenancy if below seven years A quick turn around lease can be use, its quick and cheaper. I asked this to my usual solicitors and never herd about it I try to make...
            23-08-2019, 20:04 PM
          • Is a flat conversion above shop a good option?
            midlandslandlord
            I'm after some comments on a possible conversion of a flat above a business

The property is in a parade of shops in a former village community on the outskirts of town in a small parade of shops. Most are long established local businesses - ours in a hairdresser where the T has been there...
            23-08-2019, 02:28 AM
          • Reply to Is a flat conversion above shop a good option?
            desamax
            Is there a market for 1 beds in the village, you could convert and sell the flat leasehold, this could give you a lump sum up front. But if your looking at BTLs and there is a strong chance of letting the Upper for 4K + pa you won’t get a better yield than the conversion cost....
            23-08-2019, 16:07 PM
          • garage lease
            hsa1
            Hi All,

What is the average ball park figure for a lease length for a garage in London. it has its own title deed. If the lease is around 20 years remaining. is it as simple as applying for a lease extension , or can the freeholder withhold?

thank you
            18-08-2019, 13:22 PM
          • Reply to garage lease
            hsa1
            After the lease ends the freeholder may not wish to extend it and if so it will become their property? if for arguments sake the lease is 20 years remaining (unsure what the average is for a garage) and I have yet to purchase the garage, is it best to agree on extension before purchase?

18-08-2019, 21:43 PM
          • Reply to garage lease
            AndrewDod
            You have no statutory rights here at all (it is not a residential property). So it is matter of asking for a price and agreeing that, if you get agreement, otherwise there is nil you can do. In 20 years it will case to be your lease controlled garage....
            18-08-2019, 17:34 PM
          • Authorised Guarantee Agreement
            Bounce
            Hi

2.5 years ago, I sold a leasehold business and assigned the lease to the new people, I had to sign an AGA.

I hear last week somebody else has now purchased the business, I would assume the lease has been assigned to the new people and therefore my liability has been released......
            18-08-2019, 14:06 PM
          • Sound insulation between Units
            midlandslandlord
            I am an investor in a gym operating out of a former warehouse unit in an industrial area. The unit next to us (owned by same LL) is becoming vacant, and I am checking out the risk of future noise complaints.

The business is a gym which uses music. We have the correct use class covering...
            11-08-2019, 09:27 AM
          • Reply to Sound insulation between Units
            midlandslandlord
            I'm not concerned, but unfortunately other people are. And if I have a good answer to the questions I can head them off at the pass !...
            11-08-2019, 10:39 AM
          • Reply to Sound insulation between Units
            JK0
            I wouldn't concern myself. If someone rents a place next to a gym, they would surely notice it when they viewed.
            11-08-2019, 09:39 AM
          Working...
          X