Listed building consent not sought for repairs; LL liability?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listed building consent not sought for repairs; LL liability?

Hypothetical question

Grade II listed building needs repairs. For example leaking roof requires repairs

If FRI tenant repairs the roof and it affects the character of it, without listed building consent, what might happen say 10 years down the line when the tenant is gone? Can the LL be forced to make good?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

I would first of all find out if repairs to a listed building which would not be acceptable becomes immune from enforcement after so many years, after all, isn't it a Town & Country Planning Matter. And at the moment the council are (presumably) unaware when the roof was repaired for the first time, as it is then when "time began to run" .
    And if the council find out after your tenant has left, they will have a go at the landlord which would probably cost more to defend or fight than fixing the roof properly would cost now. And down the line after this tenant has left are you able to get a new tenant on a "repairing Lease" who will accept a "Unauthorised Listed Building Roof Repair" responsibility, together with the potential of enforcement. Its problems like this which keep council planning officers busy and out of the unemployment queues.

Comment

listed building repair dilemma

Originally posted by Bel View Post
      Hypothetical question

Grade II listed building needs repairs. For example leaking roof requires repairs

If FRI tenant repairs the roof and it affects the character of it, without listed building consent, what might happen say 10 years down the line when the tenant is gone? Can the LL be forced to make good?
      In my experience this would not be likely to be pursued for enforcement; but it depends on how visible the repair is. A bit of roofing felt stuck over a cracked asphalt area of roofing for example is unlikely to involve you being prosecuted.

I knew a senior listed buildings officer who was a big cheese at English Heritage who lived in a magnificent Georgian house in Oxfordshire.
      She was very proud of all the repairs he had carried out to restore the historic character of the very beautiful old house. I did ask her how about the lead detailing on a small sub-roof balcony area which had been done very competently in code 6 sheet and pointed out, however that the Georgians heated up and poured lead on site to produce an entirely different look and method of sealing to the modern method, a fact which the lady in question was unaware.
      Of course today you wouldn't be allowed to heat up and pour lead, for elth and safety reasons. The point is that even experts on listed building are forced to carried out repairs that differ from the ideal, and not much happens. Dont start me on the subject of installing recessed lighting in old period lath and plaster ceilings; that really is vandalism and invariably causes collapse of the ceilling within a relatively short period

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Garage let on verbal agreement, three months rent unpaid
        Jerseytina
        Hi - I am new to this site, we have let out our garage without any agreement in place, only verbal. The tenant has not paid for 3 months and is refusing to communicate although he is picking up messages. Are we legally entitled to sell the contacts of the garage which includes a car!

Thank...
        17-07-2017, 11:47 AM
      • Reply to Garage let on verbal agreement, three months rent unpaid
        islandgirl
        Bet you don't need to go any further than sending the letter (2 post offices, cert of posting from each just to be belt and braces in case you do have to do so). The person will surface red faced and angry as soon as he gets the letter. Just ensure he can't get the stuff in the garage until you have...
        20-07-2017, 17:36 PM
      • Commercial rent review, expert report
        desamax
        Hi i am in the process of a rent review being done by an independent valuer. They have requested the below statement. I am representing myself on this occasion, can anyone advise the best way for me to compile with the request to be my own expert witness and complete the below to satisfaction?
        13-07-2017, 13:55 PM
      • Reply to Commercial rent review, expert report
        desamax
        Hi again, I need to draw up an " Agreed statement of facts" on the property and the comparable properties.
        I obtained the information on my properties sq m from the vendors agent and the VOA web site, that was exactly the same size wise .
        I obtained the comparable properties info...
        20-07-2017, 14:49 PM
        ram
        See Guide_to_tenants_possessions_left_at_property__LLS _.pdf
        http://www.landlordlegalsolutions.co...erty__LLS_.pdf

Torts starts on page 3.
        Because you should be able to change the lock, and take possession of building for notified rent arrears, you then have possession of everything
        20-07-2017, 13:50 PM
        islandgirl
        Send a torts interference with goods notice to the person - find the legal wording and explain that if goods not moved by a certain date you will sell them and use the proceeds to pay unpaid rent for the garage etc. Anything left over will be returned to the tenant after all costs. Usually this makes...
        20-07-2017, 12:39 PM
      • Tenant with environmental health issues.
        superstardeejay
        We rent out light industrial units and empty, enclosed yards to small businesses. Recently we took on a tenant who runs a skip-hire business. They have 2 skip lorries and a bunch of skips. Filled skips are brought back to site and the rubbish sorted, and taken to the scrap yard.

THe...
        07-07-2017, 16:04 PM
      • Reply to Tenant with environmental health issues.
        islandgirl
        Ah ok sorry to hear that. I thought they might have some kind of machinery you could serve a tort notice on. All I can suggest is writing to them to give them a certain length of time to clear the skips (you would have to allow entry just for this) and telling them that if it is not done you will do...
        20-07-2017, 12:36 PM
      • Reply to Tenant with environmental health issues.
        superstardeejay
        There's no building, it's a yard. Currently there are around 30 skips full of stinking rubbish and quite a bit strewn around the yard....
        20-07-2017, 08:51 AM
        ram
        As no one has answered.

No you cannot sell someone elses property.
        When you say it's your garage, where is it, as you are in Commercial Property questions

Is it your house garage ?, Is it your leasehold flat garage ( which you cant let out )
        Or is it your business
        20-07-2017, 08:23 AM
      Working...
      X