water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water

Hi im just looking for advice,i rent a commercial property,the tenant above has just moved out and informed me ive been paying his water for the last 18 years,both properties were managed by a letting agency,can i do anything?thank you in advance

I rented a garage in 1975, in front of the garage was a petrol station, both were owned by the same landlord.
    After 5 years I found out that the petrol station did not get a water bill as the garage had always been billed for water and it was only recently that the petrol station ha been separated from the garage and rented out as a separate rental unit, and of course the landlord did not think about having a sub-meter put in, and the petrol station tenant never wondered why they were not getting any bills for water.
    When I realised that I had been paying for the adjoining tenants water for 5 years. I found the stop-cock and turned the water off,
    Sh1t hit the fan, or to be precise in the petrol station the stuff could not be flushed.
    The landlord had to pay me compensation for the 5 years that I had been paying for third parties water,
    Shut it off, its your supply. and wait to see what happens.

Comment

Wow thanks for the good answer "Another Fine Mess" Yes i agree with him. So fine

Comment

Unless it's on a metered rate then it won't have made any difference to your water bill.

Once the water company find out/realise they will simply charge both business, you'll still be paying the same.

I had similar with my last property, the lockup shop attached got it's water off my bathroom piping, I paid water unmetered.
        When the shop changed tenants United Utilities realised there was a business as well as the flat they simply started billing the shop as well, it didn't change my water bill in the slightest.
        If I had been metered then that would be a different story, but they would have then insisted on installing seperate supplies from their mains, and charging for doing that.

Comment

Things like this probably happen more often than people realise, especially as many landlords are only ordinary members of the public and as such dont know to ask the questions which a Chartered Surveyor would ask.
          This again happened to me on another property.
          I inherited an Agricultural Property which had been my grandfathers business and rented out when he died in 1960.
          The Water Supply belonged to the Local Council and the water main ran past our property and a Sub Meter was put in, the water main continued past our property and another two properties had water supplies again both having sub-meters, the water main continued for another half mile and when the building owned by the Council was closed down the Council did not want to have anything to do with reading meters or being responsible for maintaining a water main in an unadopted road, so the Council gave our tenant the Water Main, so he took over the responsibility of all the sub-meters and the Main Meter was 200 meters away on a public road.
          The tenants lease ran out in 1982 and a new tenant was found on a 3 year lease.
          When the tenant left I took over the business.
          The water supply was put in my name. As I was not going to run the business (I was running another business) I turned the water supply off.
          Thats how I found out that 3 other properties were connected to my supply. They had been paying my tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X