Retail Unit no smoke alarms -Landlord or Tenant responsibility?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Retail Unit no smoke alarms -Landlord or Tenant responsibility?

    Hi, just bought a building with a ground floor retail unit trading as a blinds shop with a flat above. The retail unit upon inspection has no working smoke alarms or fire extinguishers.

    The original lease agreement between tenant and last landlord, which I am going to continue to use, states under the Tenant's obligations:

    c. pay all costs in connection with the supply and removal of electricity, gas, water, sewerage, telecommunications, data, services and other utilities to or from the Property;
    d. pay on demand a fair proportion of the costs payable for the maintenance repair lighting cleaning and renewal of all Service Media used by the Property in common with other property;
    g. keep the Property at all times in good repair and condition and all Landlord's fixtures and fittings (damage by an Insured Risk excepted unless the policy has been vitiated or monies refused in whole or in part by some act or default by the Tenant or its agents);

    Lease doesn't mention anywhere on it about being a repairing lease fyi. So who is responsible for installing the smoke alarms/ fire extinguishers?

    Need to have an EICR done so thinking to get the electrician to put in mains powered interlinked smoke/heat alarms but don't want to be then held accountable if the tenant doesn't test/maintain or removes/damages them etc. Or should I just ask them to sort it themselves?

    Thanks in advance

    Both tenant and owner obviously have interest and responsibilities to ensure such things. You might find insurance required them.

    Anyone contemplating no such alarms needs medical help.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Following The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which came into force on 1 October 2006, I understand that the Fire Brigade no longer issues fire certificates on commercial property. It is now a matter for occupiers (or landlords of multi-let property with communal areas) to demonstrate that they have procedures in place in respect of fire hazards which need to be verified by private companies specialising in such matters.


        EICR's do not cover fire alarms UNLESS they are electrically connected and are out of date


          ask your tenant to produce a copy of its risk assessment, which is required by all employrs. Hopefully the assessor will recommend he instals smoke deterctors to protect worforce and invitees


            My Insurance Company decided to do an inspection of a Ground Floor Retail unit which I had insured with them for 15 years and in the last 3 years with a tenant. Following the inspection the Inspector said I want to see an Electrical Safety Certificate and a Fire Risk Assessment.
            I also took further advice, As I understand it, the occupier (tenant or otherwise) has an obligation to make premises safe for both staff and/or members of the public. If there is an insurance claim the insurance company Loss Adjuster will look for loopholes to deny a payout.


              Thanks for your responses 👍🏼


              Latest Activity


              • Residential unit built into commercial premises without permission
                by Shireman
                I am co-owner of a freehold building consisting of a residential flat
                upstairs and commercial premises downstairs. It is in a terrace of
                identical residential/commercial units. The upstairs flat is currently
                occupied by the other co-owner, while the shop is rented out and is used...
                22-05-2022, 14:08 PM
              • Reply to Residential unit built into commercial premises without permission
                by flyingfreehold
                Yes if you have knowledge of a breach of planning you are culpable. Therefore what I syggest you do is write to the tenant and require that he applies for a certificate of lawful use from the planning authority - which is not terribly likely to be granted. With a bit of luck the local authority will...
                22-05-2022, 20:16 PM
              • Reply to Mediation or Court?
                by artin
                There is the limited company name, company registration and the director who signed the lease, all same to present no changes. These are required by law. The director only has this limited company and it's not part of group and there is no trading as.
                I don't understand why people complicate things...
                22-05-2022, 09:03 AM
              • Online Commercial Advertising
                by hashmio
                Please can anyone advise as to which online websites/portals offer the cheapest rate to advertise commercial property on Rightmove, Zoopla, Primelocation, etc.

                I would like to advertise my commercial property online - and trying to find the best/cheapest/flexible....
                11-05-2022, 12:53 PM
              • Reply to Online Commercial Advertising
                by Section20z
                Just had good result letting a shop on Gumtree and I think they charge £15.99 so might be worth a try. (not a recommendation, just my experience, things may well be different in other parts of the country)
                22-05-2022, 08:37 AM
              • Reply to Online Commercial Advertising
                by Another Fine Mess
                I found over 30 years ago when I wanted to rent a garage out and used Daltons Weekly that it drew very little response, so when more recently when I decided to put my shop and warehouse up for rent (sold the business on lease) I used a firm of Estate Agents who specialised in the sale and renting...
                22-05-2022, 08:28 AM
              • Reply to Mediation or Court?
                by Another Fine Mess
                If you do claim through the court can you put : Fred Blogs Trading/As Fred Blogs Limited, so you are including the name of the person who originally contacted you to rent your business premises then said it was through his Limited Company, and have you done a Company Cheque of somewhere like...
                22-05-2022, 08:06 AM
              • Mediation or Court?
                by artin
                Tenant (limited company) moved out, repair cost is more than deposit, I am claiming around £4k, he refuses to pay. I have sent all documents and to the letter before taking legal action.

                I have spoken to mediation firm, willing to take the case. But they rely on negotiation between...
                20-05-2022, 09:30 AM
              • Reply to Mediation or Court?
                by artin
                I don't understand, what's your question?
                It's a limited company has one director whom am claiming from and he's refusing to pay.
                The limited company is still around healthy and trading and he's still the director. Have I said the limited company is dissolved?...
                20-05-2022, 15:00 PM
              • Reply to Mediation or Court?
                by theartfullodger
                He? Surely the Ltd co, unless you have a personal guarantee.
                20-05-2022, 12:23 PM