Retail Unit no smoke alarms -Landlord or Tenant responsibility?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Retail Unit no smoke alarms -Landlord or Tenant responsibility?

    Hi, just bought a building with a ground floor retail unit trading as a blinds shop with a flat above. The retail unit upon inspection has no working smoke alarms or fire extinguishers.

    The original lease agreement between tenant and last landlord, which I am going to continue to use, states under the Tenant's obligations:

    c. pay all costs in connection with the supply and removal of electricity, gas, water, sewerage, telecommunications, data, services and other utilities to or from the Property;
    d. pay on demand a fair proportion of the costs payable for the maintenance repair lighting cleaning and renewal of all Service Media used by the Property in common with other property;
    g. keep the Property at all times in good repair and condition and all Landlord's fixtures and fittings (damage by an Insured Risk excepted unless the policy has been vitiated or monies refused in whole or in part by some act or default by the Tenant or its agents);

    Lease doesn't mention anywhere on it about being a repairing lease fyi. So who is responsible for installing the smoke alarms/ fire extinguishers?

    Need to have an EICR done so thinking to get the electrician to put in mains powered interlinked smoke/heat alarms but don't want to be then held accountable if the tenant doesn't test/maintain or removes/damages them etc. Or should I just ask them to sort it themselves?

    Thanks in advance

    Both tenant and owner obviously have interest and responsibilities to ensure such things. You might find insurance required them.

    Anyone contemplating no such alarms needs medical help.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Following The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which came into force on 1 October 2006, I understand that the Fire Brigade no longer issues fire certificates on commercial property. It is now a matter for occupiers (or landlords of multi-let property with communal areas) to demonstrate that they have procedures in place in respect of fire hazards which need to be verified by private companies specialising in such matters.


        EICR's do not cover fire alarms UNLESS they are electrically connected and are out of date


          ask your tenant to produce a copy of its risk assessment, which is required by all employrs. Hopefully the assessor will recommend he instals smoke deterctors to protect worforce and invitees


            My Insurance Company decided to do an inspection of a Ground Floor Retail unit which I had insured with them for 15 years and in the last 3 years with a tenant. Following the inspection the Inspector said I want to see an Electrical Safety Certificate and a Fire Risk Assessment.
            I also took further advice, As I understand it, the occupier (tenant or otherwise) has an obligation to make premises safe for both staff and/or members of the public. If there is an insurance claim the insurance company Loss Adjuster will look for loopholes to deny a payout.


              Thanks for your responses ­čĹŹ­čĆ╝


              Latest Activity


              • Investment Purchase with Unregistered Lease
                by jaymondo
                We're looking at purchasing a commercial investment. It has a 10 year lease which commenced in 2020 but we've just discovered the tenant failed to register the lease with land registry. Any thoughts / options / advice appreciated.
                27-05-2022, 08:43 AM
              • Reply to Investment Purchase with Unregistered Lease
                by rentreviewspecialist
                If a lease which ought to have been registered is not registered within the prescribed time limit it takes effect as a contract to grant the estate. It is therefore only the grant aspect that is affected; the contractual obligations of the parties remain intact.

                The potential consequences...
                27-05-2022, 13:17 PM
              • Reply to Investment Purchase with Unregistered Lease
                by Lawcruncher
                Well, the lease cannot now be registered. If the tenancy has the security afforded by Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 it is continuing. However, it would seem that the tenant only has an equitable lease. That may present a problem in that certain steps, such as serving notices, may not...
                27-05-2022, 10:31 AM
              • Reply to Shop Change of Use
                by BlindingLights82
                Dog Groomers fall under Sui Generis within our local council (this was even in 2021 after the use class changes). I would suggest contacting your local planning authority and get something in writing from them. If they say it's a Sui Generis then absolutely get planning permission before you allow it...
                27-05-2022, 09:22 AM
              • water
                by adele72
                Hi im just looking for advice,i rent a commercial property,the tenant above has just moved out and informed me ive been paying his water for the last 18 years,both properties were managed by a letting agency,can i do anything?thank you in advance
                26-05-2022, 14:16 PM
              • Reply to Shop Change of Use
                by Another Fine Mess
                I found that when I was a tenant of Business Premises that with both of my leases (different Local Authorities) that they insisted that I pay them for their Legal Fees for the creation of the leases, And having also been a landlord of shops I would do the following if you dont mind my suggestion....
                26-05-2022, 08:36 AM
              • Shop Change of Use
                by gainsay
                Hi Folks,
                I have an empty shop . Someone privately has expressed an interest in in opening a dog grooming parlour for which (I believe) a change of use to sui generis would be required. At present it is A1.
                My question is who should pay for and then apply for planning permission? Should...
                25-05-2022, 11:12 AM
              • Reply to Shop Change of Use
                by Lawcruncher
                I am not surprised you are confused. They keep tinkering with the uses classes. It is difficult to keep up.
                26-05-2022, 08:25 AM
              • Reply to Shop Change of Use
                by gainsay

                Thank you for your response.
                Through internet searches i too have come to the conclusion that a pet grooming parlour would indeed fall under the new Class E.
                Indeed the Planning Inspectorate at an appeal hearing in 2014 stated that (at the time ) a dog grooming parlour...
                26-05-2022, 08:03 AM
              • Reply to Shop Change of Use
                by gainsay

                Thanks so much for your reply.
                26-05-2022, 07:55 AM