Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tenants New lease

Hi
    I will be looking for new tenants soon so will need new lease drawn. It's a small commercial unit 1500sq ft, trying to cut cost of hiring solicitor.
    Can I use the previous lease which was issued by a commercial property lawyer? Online leases? Any advise?
    Thanks

In principle, to base a new lease on a previous lease - common practice amongst lawyers - subject to updating / modernisation and reqording of covenants and conditions for the new letting .

However, question is whether to use the previous lease in its entirely would breach copyright belonging to the commercial property lawyer? For the principles, see Lennox Estates Ltd v S&W Ventures Ltd (2021) [2021] 11 WLUK 78 IP-2021-000027

Comment

I have been both a landlord of Commercial Property and still am a tenant
      Over 45 years ago when I took on my first Commercial Lease which was being handled by a Chartered Surveyor it was a condition of the new lease that the applicant (myself) paid all the solicitors fees for the creation of the lease.
      In the meantime I also on 6 yearly Licences had to pay the solicitors fees.
      Personally if you are looking to have a new lease drawn up get some quotes from solicitors.
      When I recently had a new lease drawn up for a commercial property I asked the incoming tenant to pay half.
      I did think of copying the lease which my solicitor did 3 years before but there were subtle changes to do with it being outside the 1954 act.

Comment

Piffy,

Thank you for the reply.
        Is the 1954 act to do with "exclude security of tenure"?

Comment

Originally posted by artin View Post
          Piffy,

Thank you for the reply.
          Is the 1954 act to do with "exclude security of tenure"?
          I can be wrong on this: As I understand it if a lease is "outside" the 1954 Act, when the lease ends the tenant has to leave.
          Inside the Act means that at the end of the lease the tenant has the right to ask for a new lease, even if words in the lease say The tenant will leave at the end of the lease, it doesn't mean anything.
          I along with thousands of other Commercial Landlords are getting older and when I rented out a Commercial Property for a long time I thought that at the end of the lease I would have the choice of re-letting or putting it up for sale . I did not realise the importance of the lease being inside the act and years later when the lease was about to end the tenant refused to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Piffy View Post

I can be wrong on this: As I understand it if a lease is "outside" the 1954 Act, when the lease ends the tenant has to leave.
            Inside the Act means that at the end of the lease the tenant has the right to ask for a new lease, even if words in the lease say The tenant will leave at the end of the lease, it doesn't mean anything.
            I along with thousands of other Commercial Landlords are getting older and when I rented out a Commercial Property for a long time I thought that at the end of the lease I would have the choice of re-letting or putting it up for sale . I did not realise the importance of the lease being inside the act and years later when the lease was about to end the tenant refused to go.
            Yes that is the "exclude security of tenure". It is a form to be filled by both parties when signing the lease otherwise the tenant has the right to stay when lease expires and landlord can't do anything, no sure exactly how, I guess he can demand a new lease and sounds like landlord will never be able to get rid of him... I always insist in doing it. They call it a lease without security of tenure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Late Section 25 Notice LTA 1954
              by Chichono
              Hi
              My tenants protected lease expires very very shortly. She initially intimated she wished to stay but negotiations were not forthcoming and it now appears she is even considering leaving. No notices have been served by either party. To exasperate matters the quarters rent has not been paid....
              15-05-2022, 14:43 PM
            • Reply to Late Section 25 Notice LTA 1954
              by Lawcruncher
              A section 25 notice can be served during the last 12 months of a fixed term.

It is certainly a good idea to serve one now to protect your position if the tenant keeps vacillating.
              16-05-2022, 08:47 AM
            • What agreement for gym let?
              by AlfKatona
              I have Gym .I want to let ? what agreement I can use? Tenants for NLA ?Please.A Katona
              13-05-2022, 11:56 AM
            • Online Commercial Advertising
              by hashmio
              Please can anyone advise as to which online websites/portals offer the cheapest rate to advertise commercial property on Rightmove, Zoopla, Primelocation, etc.

I would like to advertise my commercial property online - and trying to find the best/cheapest/flexible....
              11-05-2022, 12:53 PM
            • Lease forfeiture
              by Femilicious
              Hello i hope someone can help me. I have commercial tenant that has paid rent off and on during the rent moratorium . She is owing about 5 months so far. There was a problem with the roof leaking which was my responsibility. I had gotten a quote and asked her to pay rent owed to my builder so he can...
              09-05-2022, 07:19 AM
            • Reply to A right to re- enter a commercial property
              by JK0
              I had some commercial tenants try letting rooms out. I told them to get rid of the beds or I would report them to the council. Regarding the rent, I got a CCJ. When that did not get paid, I told the guy to move out, or I would apply for his bankruptcy.
              04-05-2022, 19:57 PM
            • A right to re- enter a commercial property
              by yellowb2
              Hello everyone please I need help , My tenant is owing £9,500 for rent and not making any effort to pay. I hired commercial solicitor, he wrote a letter to her with no result. He ask me to find a bailiff to change the lock but the bailiff I hired said he can not because it look like someone is living...
              04-05-2022, 19:23 PM
            • Reply to Shared Electricity Metre With Residential Flat
              by Another Fine Mess
              Surely if you are responsible for the electricity which enters your shop anything after the Main Meter is your responsibility which you have accepted as you have been paying the electricity bills, I would get an electrician to give you a price to fit a Sub-Meter and get a date 2 weeks in advance where...
              03-05-2022, 16:24 PM
            • Reply to Shared Electricity Metre With Residential Flat
              by Cousin_IT
              Thanks for the responses guys, I obviously need to check the lease and see exactly what I signed up for. I'm less concerned about recovering what has passed, I just wanted to know what my 'rights' were in insisting that the issue is sorted going forward, especially with the sharp rise in my bill. ...
              29-04-2022, 07:53 AM
            • Commercial property
              by Kernow Lady
              15 years ago we sold our catering business. We are Head of lease until November 2022. This is a very old type restrictive lease, all in the landlords favour. My Q is, if it is not sold come November are we will responsible.
              14-04-2022, 17:53 PM
            Working...
            X