Lock-up Garages (Council Tax/Business Rates)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock-up Garages (Council Tax/Business Rates)

Dear all,

We are considering buying a small block of 7 lock-up garages. These are going to be split off an existing property, and thus currently do not have any Council Tax or Business rate information associated with them.

In their current configuration, as part of a residential property, they do not attract either Business or Council Taxes individually or as a block.

I have read online "Currently, as from April 1990, rates are no longer applicable on lock-up garages."

I've been unable to find the source of this statement, and thus test it's veracity. Obviously the treatment of these lock-ups for tax purposes is an important factor is the viability of this scheme.

The garages will be let for storage of private property and vehicles along with the short driveway in front of each (~1 car length)

Payment of tax on the rental income is expected, but nobody appears able to advise on the treatment WRT local taxation.

Can anyone advise on this aspect of taxation. My own accountant is in the dark, and our surveyor believes the council may attempt to apply business rates, but is unsure.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions, especially if they know the source of the April 1990 quote.

LUGS are currently exempt, but that's highly likely to change

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the confirmation of the current status. Can you advise the source of this information, as I'm unable to identify anything authoritative.
      For example a LUG attached to the local newsagent is rated for business purposes at £300 p/a

I know we cannot judge the future trends from HMRC et. al. but it seems strange that nothing obvious comes up on the internet providing the law supporting your statement.

I've tried a couple of companies that make the April 1990 quote, but neither appear willing to share the source of their assertion.

Many thanks
      D.

Comment

i didn't know the answer to your question so I searched on-line; took just a few minutes to find the answer!

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for determining whether a lock-up garage should be assessed for business rates purposes. On assessment, the billing authority issue a demand for the rates charge. However, if the billing authority is satisfied the unit is unoccupied for commercial purposes, the hereditament may be exempted under Section 45 Local Government Finance Act 1988.

Comment

I've tried that myself.
          Following S.45 of the Finance act leads to the 1998 Housing act.
          Which doesn't realy help apart from saying the charge is at the discretion of the Secretary of State.

I can't find where the SoS has used that disscretion to give a blanket exemption.

It's difficult to track down but if it"s being accepted by councils that all lock-up gatages are exempt then not a problem.

Comment

At one time I did not pay Business Rates on Stables.
            Then one day a bunch of people turned up from the Valuation Agency and started measuring all the stables.
            I queried why they were doing it and there reply was "if you take money off people we are entitled to our share" and so it will be if you buy them and start to rent them out.
            If the garages are on a separate plot of land I would ask a Chartered Town Planner if there is a possibility that you could get planning permission for development, small house, using the same sq. ft that the garages are.
            Whatever you do don't ask the Council Planners and tip them off.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it.

As soon as you lease out a garage that person is responsible for any business rates due - and as long as they don't have any other rateable premises they will get 100% allowance and pay nothing.

Think of it like beach huts.

If the garages are in a detached block, I would also look to see if you could build a "coach house flat" above.
              My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

For everyone who has contributed, many thanks. As usual anything involving bureaucrats is at best arcane, and at worst incomprehensible

The information provided has provided me the necessary confidence on where to go next, and is very much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Limits on timescale for requesting repairations after end of comercial lease ?
                  by Braysh
                  Hi, just looking for a little advice if I may ?
                  The lease for a commercial unit I rented ended on 30th April 2021. I requested some idea of the work the landlord wanted me to carry out to return the unit to a reasonable state to hand back, he never responded. At the start of the lease, I removed...
                  27-11-2021, 19:10 PM
                • Reply to Lease ending this month.
                  by L4NDLORD
                  I think you will find that section 82 of the Coronavirus act 2020 means that bailiffs still cant be brought in against commercial tenants yet for rent arrears and hence your advice Piffy wil not fly. Money judgement is about all you can do other than counselling defaulting tenants to cough up
                  26-11-2021, 14:59 PM
                • Lease ending this month.
                  by Harryfox
                  Hi has anyone any advice please. My tenants lease ends on Nov 30 th. She has been late with payments on many occasions and has only paid half of October's rent ,non of November's, and wants an extension of a month ,December which is her busy time.i'm not confident of her paying ,and suspect she's going...
                  22-11-2021, 21:13 PM
                  by Piffy
                  Although legislation has changed it used to be that if a Commercial Tenant was one day behind with the rent you could instruct Bailiffs to go in and seize goods immediately if it was for unpaid rent, or even if the tenant had not paid the building insurance although that may be down to the wording...
                  23-11-2021, 17:25 PM
                  by L4NDLORD
                  go and see your tenant and see if you can get some wonga out of her. Its more difficult to say no to a person sitting in front of you.
                  22-11-2021, 22:20 PM
                  by L4NDLORD
                  How has the lease been brought to an end? A lease does not simply end as a result of the term certain reaching expiry. The parties automatically hold over (unless the lease has been excluded by prior written agreement from Part 2 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954) . If you have served a s25 notice...
                  22-11-2021, 22:19 PM
                • Reply to Deposit Retrieval
                  by L4NDLORD
                  what you could do is launch proceedings in the county court for return of your deposit and your costs in the claim. Moneyclaim on line. Pretty straightforward
                  21-11-2021, 11:16 AM
                • Deposit Retrieval
                  by moon12
                  So I have had to send of a solicitors letter to my previous landlords, for failing to repay my deposit, they had been given almost three months and I had threatened them with this.

The legal action at this stage is going to cost iro £450.

Are there steps that can be taken...
                  18-11-2021, 15:56 PM
                  by moon12
                  Glad you’ve completely removed the topic and context of my original ask from this thread. Thanks for all the help, chocolate teapot.
                  19-11-2021, 14:18 PM
                  by Moderator2
                  It often isn't the case that people intend to expose LLZ to potential legal action when they post 'naming and shaming' threads, they often don't even realise the risks to themselves. In the past legal action has been taken against forum members, more than once, and it was very costly for those members...
                  19-11-2021, 07:58 AM
                Working...
                X