Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break in Licence

Hi,

I'm really confused and new to the notion of licensee/ licensor.

I've joined an organisation who operate from a commercial building. We share the building with another, similar organisation. I've looked at the licence that was signed before I took over and see that we are the licensee and the other organisation are the licensor. I presume they rent the building from the owner as it does not belong to them.

I see there is a Licensor's break date which is 18 months from the signing of the licence but there is no Licensee's break date. The licence is for 5 years. Does this mean we have no right to leave the agreement until the 5 years is up or face a penalty of some sort?

I'm concerned as the language used in the licence gives the other organisation the power to decide how much we pay for repairs and maintenance and we have very little say over costs that they can take on and pass to us.

Thanks in advance

There are a number of questions you can ask to determine if an arrangement is a lease or a licence. In a commercial situation the important question is: Whatever the written agreement says, does the occupant have actual exclusive possession? If the answer is "yes" then there is a lease. So, if your arrangement involves your organisation having control over a specified area of a building and from which it can exclude the world including the organisation to which you pay money for the right to occupy, then you probably have a lease.

If you have a lease and the other organisation exercises the right to break your organisation will have the protection afforded by Part II of the Landlord and Tenant act 1954.

Without seeing the relevant clause it is not possible to say what your obligations are in respect of contributing to repairs.

Comment

Thanks for this Lawcruncher. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. We do have an office which we hold the keys for and no-one else is able to use so I guess that we have a lease though the document does state 'licence'.

My real concern is the language used in the licence. It suggests the licensee can charge us whatever they like if there are any repairs or maintenance needed. I just can't see a date for breaking the licence early for us. I'm not worries about the licensor breaking early - it's just not in their interests and we could very easily manage elsewhere. I just wonder if there is a way we can leave the contract before the 5 years stated on the licence. The licensor can break after 18 months but there is no date for the Licensee to break early

Comment

As I said above, I cannot comment on the repair charges without seeing the relevant clause.

If there is no break provision for the licensee I do not see how you can bring the arrangement to an end early.

Comment

Thank you Lawcruncher

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Limits on timescale for requesting repairations after end of comercial lease ?
            by Braysh
            Hi, just looking for a little advice if I may ?
            The lease for a commercial unit I rented ended on 30th April 2021. I requested some idea of the work the landlord wanted me to carry out to return the unit to a reasonable state to hand back, he never responded. At the start of the lease, I removed...
            27-11-2021, 19:10 PM
          • Reply to Lease ending this month.
            by L4NDLORD
            I think you will find that section 82 of the Coronavirus act 2020 means that bailiffs still cant be brought in against commercial tenants yet for rent arrears and hence your advice Piffy wil not fly. Money judgement is about all you can do other than counselling defaulting tenants to cough up
            26-11-2021, 14:59 PM
          • Lease ending this month.
            by Harryfox
            Hi has anyone any advice please. My tenants lease ends on Nov 30 th. She has been late with payments on many occasions and has only paid half of October's rent ,non of November's, and wants an extension of a month ,December which is her busy time.i'm not confident of her paying ,and suspect she's going...
            22-11-2021, 21:13 PM
            by Piffy
            Although legislation has changed it used to be that if a Commercial Tenant was one day behind with the rent you could instruct Bailiffs to go in and seize goods immediately if it was for unpaid rent, or even if the tenant had not paid the building insurance although that may be down to the wording...
            23-11-2021, 17:25 PM
            by L4NDLORD
            go and see your tenant and see if you can get some wonga out of her. Its more difficult to say no to a person sitting in front of you.
            22-11-2021, 22:20 PM
            by L4NDLORD
            How has the lease been brought to an end? A lease does not simply end as a result of the term certain reaching expiry. The parties automatically hold over (unless the lease has been excluded by prior written agreement from Part 2 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954) . If you have served a s25 notice...
            22-11-2021, 22:19 PM
          • Reply to Deposit Retrieval
            by L4NDLORD
            what you could do is launch proceedings in the county court for return of your deposit and your costs in the claim. Moneyclaim on line. Pretty straightforward
            21-11-2021, 11:16 AM
            by moon12
            Glad you’ve completely removed the topic and context of my original ask from this thread. Thanks for all the help, chocolate teapot.
            19-11-2021, 14:18 PM
          • Deposit Retrieval
            by moon12
            So I have had to send of a solicitors letter to my previous landlords, for failing to repay my deposit, they had been given almost three months and I had threatened them with this.

The legal action at this stage is going to cost iro £450.

Are there steps that can be taken...
            18-11-2021, 15:56 PM
            by Moderator2
            It often isn't the case that people intend to expose LLZ to potential legal action when they post 'naming and shaming' threads, they often don't even realise the risks to themselves. In the past legal action has been taken against forum members, more than once, and it was very costly for those members...
            19-11-2021, 07:58 AM
          Working...
          X