Utility bill sent to Landlord (no void period)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility bill sent to Landlord (no void period)

I hope someone can help. I (as landlord) have today received a letter (to an old address) from a debt collection company for supply at a small commercial property for a claimed period where the property has been occupied and where a tenancy agreement exists. The agreement states tenants obligations for "all periodic rates, taxes and outgoings related to the property". There was no void period with a previous tenancy being forfeited and the new tenancy starting on the same date. I also have a copy of the tenancy agreement for the previous term stating same. My details as owner of the building appear to have been obtained from the Land Registry. I have had no contact with the supplier and no usage by me has occurred. Do I have any liability for this claimed debt?

Thanks

Possibly, they claim deemed liability when a commercial tenant scrapers. I had one phoning incessantly recently in similar circumstances. Turned out they only wanted £13.75
    So I paid to shut them up but if it's a substantial amount you could reasonably contest it.

Comment

Thanks, It's for £1300 and the tenant is still occupying.

Comment

cant you write to said supplier and tell them who the tenant is?

Comment

In hindsight as it is your property, should you have read the meter when the old tenant left, rung a utility supplier and registered with them. and if the new tenant moved in later in the day, read the meter again and again rang the Utility Company you registered with of the New Consumer.
          And as Neelix (above) says can you contact the supplier and tell them who the tenant is.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X