Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Commercial Lease template for a retail shop

Hi all,
    Please could you point me in the right direction for a Commercial Lease template for a shop my mother owns (currently used as a barbers), which has a residential flat above (this is let separately, & there is no access from the retail shop into the flat)?

I've looked at the documents available on here, but the only Commercial Lease I've found is for a "unit in a parade of shops owned by the same landlord", which does not apply to us.
    Please could someone recommend a starting point to help find something suitable ?

Trying to help my 74 year old mother sort out the property which she inherited when my father passed away, which did not have an official lease in place (just a verbal agreement between my father & the tenant).
    We haven't got money to burn, so can't afford to see a solicitor to do the lease for us, so we are hoping to find a cheaper version online...

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me !

I would suggest that you consult a Chartered Surveyor for advice. Not only would he be able to advise as to what rent you could charge the tenant he may be able to direct you to a solicitor who does Commercial Leases. And it has been my experience (as a tenant) that many Landlords make the tenant pay the solicitors costs for the creation of a new lease. (although in the last lease I had done I shared the cost with the tenant)
    In addition as your mother is elderly, it is essential that you take legal advice on the present situation, what you dont want to do is find that say in 10 years time that if she wants to sell she gets a low price because the tenant has acquired the "right to stay forever" Insomuch that his tenancy may be within the 1954 Landlord & Tenant act.
    You should also be aware that many leases have the tenant responsible for any repairs and many landlords have a Chartered Surveyor do an inspection called a Schedule of Dilapidations (I was fortunate that the solicitor who drew up a lease for me (£750) included a clause which said that if I had a Schedule of Dilapidations done I was able to charge the tenant)
    Also be careful with Building insurance Since new regulations came in Insurance Companies are tightening up On a shop I rented out the Insurance Company suddenly did an inspection and said " I want to see an Electrical Safety Certificate and a Fire Risk Assessment" we had neither. I rang a Chartered Loss Assessor I knew and he said that if there was an electrical fire and there was no Electrical Safety Certificate the claim would be refused. etc.
    (I would add that the Chartered Surveyor I asked about what to charge my tenant came and had a look at the shop and said that he had an investor who would buy it, and we received a good offer. )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Commercial Lease
      by Aidyb
      Hi all
      im a year into a 5 year lease with a break clause at year 3 either side. The landlord has now put the property up for sale and has recently asked if I would terminate my lease early as me being here is obstructing the sale as prospective buyers have intimated that they don’t want a...
      21-06-2021, 13:54 PM
    • Reply to Commercial Lease
      by Lawcruncher
      To the above you need to add:

· Refund of any rent paid in advance
      . Solicitor's costs for dealing with surrender
      · Possibly surveyor's costs
      · A premium
      · An absolute release from your obligations

Whether you engage a surveyor depends very much...
      22-06-2021, 12:23 PM
      by Aidyb
      What I was thinking as a minimum was

full refund of security deposit

Them covering Commercial moving costs

uplift - reasonable difference between existing lease cost v new up to and including break clause date - so if there if for example is a £ 200 difference...
      22-06-2021, 10:35 AM
      by Lawcruncher
      The bottom line is that you have the right to continue in occupation until at least the exercise of the break clause. If the lease is not contracted out the exercise of the break clause by the landlord will not end the tenancy and your statutory rights kick in. This means you get to set the terms if...
      21-06-2021, 14:20 PM
      by flyingfreehold
      I would suggest that you post a precise extract of the break clause so that members can spot whether there might be a hickey in the clause by which the landlord contends he can ask you to vacate. Sometimes there are time restrictions on the date when notice can be served. Have you been served with formal...
      21-06-2021, 14:09 PM
    • Reply to Unreasonable Landlord?
      by Lawcruncher
      In this case I think you can be more than fairly confident.

Bearing in mind that that the earliest the landlord can end the tenancy is 6 months from when he gets round to serving his notice and that the tenant wants to retire in April, the tenant will need to consider whether...
      20-06-2021, 15:53 PM
    • Unreasonable Landlord?
      by HairdresserH
      MY friend has had her hairdresser shop for 42 years. Her landlord has just sold the property and has given her 4 weeks to vacate.

She cant remember when her lease was last renewed, she stays there with an oral agreement with her landlord.

What makes things complicated is the...
      19-06-2021, 18:50 PM
      by Namaste
      Yes, unreasonable (AND possibly an ignorant) landlord.

Fyi I am not a lawyer but I am fairly confident that if your friend has been in possession of the property for 42 years, she will have acquired a business tenancy within the security provisions of Part II Landlord and Tenant Act 1954...
      20-06-2021, 12:13 PM
      by Lawcruncher
      She pays the same rent. The new owners may want her out but they cannot get her out without following the correct procedure. Either they serve notice or they pay her to leave.
      20-06-2021, 09:35 AM
      by HairdresserH
      How much rent is she liable to pay? The property has been sold and the new owners of the property move in in 4 weeks and want her out by then? Please...
      20-06-2021, 07:55 AM
    Working...
    X