mesne profit and storage charges advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mesne profit and storage charges advise

i had a 5 yrs lease which ended sept 19. The landlord agent and we agreed a new lease terms. The agent brought the new lease which we signed and returned to agent. We never heard anything back for 4-5 months. No rent was paid as previously rent was paid when invoice was posted through the door. How ever the landlord did not send invoice. After 3-4 months agent phones to say there was issue with the lease . it was not signed correctly and sent a new lease. We went through the lease and we believed had our personal names as guarantor in the lease this we did not agree to. we informed the agent . Again we did not hear anything for 4-5 months. The agent contacts us again that they can only have lease with personal name as guarantor. We start to look for new premises and find one . We move to new premises in July 20 through the same agent who originally acted for the landlord but since then he moved to start his own company. In sept20 this agent again brings a new lease without our personal names, but by this time the covid situation was taking grips and i declined to accept the rent and proposed a new rent. Again i did not hear anything for 2 months . Then landlord leaves a voice to say he has taken possession of the property and changed the locks and no one is authorised to enter the property. i contacted the landlord to make arrange ment to remove the rest of the goods. Some of it is removed and some will be removed in the next few visits. The land lords send a text message that he will claim mesne profits for the period sept 19 to nov 20 and storage charges £6 psft.
    the original lease was contracted out but this was not explicitly advised at the time of signing. The agent charged fees both the landlord and us for the draft the lease as legal cost. However ill advised us of implications.
    Will this situation be treated as tenancy at will as the landlord allowed us the keep occupation of the premises and do i have legal right to claim unlawful eviction. If it is treated as tenancy at will is in place then possession is unlawful as the possession are prevented till dec 2020 due to covid.
    How can i challenge the mesne profit equivalent to rent being claimed.
    i believe that "The landlord’s solicitors should send an open letter demanding possession of the property to the former tenant that has remained in occupation of the property" this did not happen
    i also believe "If the landlord would like to enter into a new lease, the landlord’s solicitors should send a separate letter to the former tenant at the same time as the open letter (and stated to be entirely “without prejudice” to the open letter), in which they state that the landlord is not intending to take proceedings for possession until after a stipulated date to allow negotiations for a new lease to take place, whilst reserving the landlord’s right to take such proceedings at any time if it chooses. The landlord should try and get the tenant to endorse and return a copy of this letter by way of acknowledgement." this also did no happen
    from google search i understand " the more time that passes between the expiry of a contracted out lease and the landlord taking action, or if the landlord (or its agents) demands rent for a period after the expiry of the lease, the tenant’s continued occupation could be deemed to be one of the following:-
    A tenancy at will. This can be created expressly or by inference and exists where there is a tenancy on terms that either party may determine at any time. It is not generally regarded as constituting an estate in land. A tenancy at will does not give the tenant a right to a lease renewal under the LTA 1954;
    Much appreciate if this may be posted for open discussion and comments to help me go through with this process.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Late Section 25 Notice LTA 1954
    by Chichono
    Hi
    My tenants protected lease expires very very shortly. She initially intimated she wished to stay but negotiations were not forthcoming and it now appears she is even considering leaving. No notices have been served by either party. To exasperate matters the quarters rent has not been paid....
    15-05-2022, 14:43 PM
  • Reply to Late Section 25 Notice LTA 1954
    by Lawcruncher
    A section 25 notice can be served during the last 12 months of a fixed term.

It is certainly a good idea to serve one now to protect your position if the tenant keeps vacillating.
    16-05-2022, 08:47 AM
  • What agreement for gym let?
    by AlfKatona
    I have Gym .I want to let ? what agreement I can use? Tenants for NLA ?Please.A Katona
    13-05-2022, 11:56 AM
  • Online Commercial Advertising
    by hashmio
    Please can anyone advise as to which online websites/portals offer the cheapest rate to advertise commercial property on Rightmove, Zoopla, Primelocation, etc.

I would like to advertise my commercial property online - and trying to find the best/cheapest/flexible....
    11-05-2022, 12:53 PM
  • Lease forfeiture
    by Femilicious
    Hello i hope someone can help me. I have commercial tenant that has paid rent off and on during the rent moratorium . She is owing about 5 months so far. There was a problem with the roof leaking which was my responsibility. I had gotten a quote and asked her to pay rent owed to my builder so he can...
    09-05-2022, 07:19 AM
  • Reply to A right to re- enter a commercial property
    by JK0
    I had some commercial tenants try letting rooms out. I told them to get rid of the beds or I would report them to the council. Regarding the rent, I got a CCJ. When that did not get paid, I told the guy to move out, or I would apply for his bankruptcy.
    04-05-2022, 19:57 PM
  • A right to re- enter a commercial property
    by yellowb2
    Hello everyone please I need help , My tenant is owing £9,500 for rent and not making any effort to pay. I hired commercial solicitor, he wrote a letter to her with no result. He ask me to find a bailiff to change the lock but the bailiff I hired said he can not because it look like someone is living...
    04-05-2022, 19:23 PM
  • Reply to Shared Electricity Metre With Residential Flat
    by Another Fine Mess
    Surely if you are responsible for the electricity which enters your shop anything after the Main Meter is your responsibility which you have accepted as you have been paying the electricity bills, I would get an electrician to give you a price to fit a Sub-Meter and get a date 2 weeks in advance where...
    03-05-2022, 16:24 PM
  • Reply to Shared Electricity Metre With Residential Flat
    by Cousin_IT
    Thanks for the responses guys, I obviously need to check the lease and see exactly what I signed up for. I'm less concerned about recovering what has passed, I just wanted to know what my 'rights' were in insisting that the issue is sorted going forward, especially with the sharp rise in my bill. ...
    29-04-2022, 07:53 AM
  • Commercial property
    by Kernow Lady
    15 years ago we sold our catering business. We are Head of lease until November 2022. This is a very old type restrictive lease, all in the landlords favour. My Q is, if it is not sold come November are we will responsible.
    14-04-2022, 17:53 PM
Working...
X