non payment of rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non payment of rent

Hi all I have a commercial tenant refusing to pay rent he is approaching 3 months arrears he is actually still trading with stock in shop and admitted hes going to continue not paying .can I have bailiffs sieze/ list goods in Liu of rent during this covid period or has the law changed ?

No. At one point during lock down this remedy was available if the there was 90 days rent outstanding. I advised my client to do so, and enforcement agents attended and we were able to recover the full quarters rent. The government has recently amended this so that CRAR is unavailable unless there is 189 days rent outstanding. What type of business is your tenant in ?

Comment

marine aquatic so fish tanks expensive commercial filtration system and usual pumps and accessories for retail

Comment

ps I must add on his tenancy which is a 12 month minimum term with a 1 month notice which can be given by either side after the initial 12 month .. also he did give me verbal notice in February but has not moved out after receiving the 10k from the gov but did reconfirm in april he would bemoving out after lockdown though I expect he won't be in any rush

Comment

If the lease is contracted outside the Act, then you may be able to give 1 month notice. However, if the lease is inside the Act then you'll need to give notice under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, which is significantly more complicated and your tenant may be entitled to compensation at 1 x the rate able value. One would assume your contract requires written notice. For such short leases you should always contract outside the Act.

Comment

how do I know if its contracted in or out the act? should it have been written In my simple terms ?

Comment

also when re he confirmed he was leaving in april this was via text

Comment

your only lawful option as far as i know is a money claim judgement against the tenant. People do not like having a CCJ. Once you issue the plaint the tenant will typically approach you to pay something now and agree some instalment scheme for the balance

Comment

k brown for a lease to be contracted outside the Act, there would be a declaration sworn by the tenant independently or a statutory declaration before a solicitor annex to the agreement, with wording that makes reference to this in the agreement. I do not think a text would override a contractual clause to give "written notice".

flyingfreehold yes, that is an option. But how much time and expense would that take ?

I suppose the government will not extend the moratorium beyond September and forfeiture would be a good option.

Comment

As stated above your best option is a court judgement and then bailiffs to recover your funds. On the face of it, i would imagine your tenant has security of tenure so it may be in your interest if he did leave voluntarily. It could be a serious pain for you to get him out if he digs his heels in. You have to show who wears the trousers or he will take the Micheal

Comment

Michael surely, not Micheal

Comment

Money Claim online is not expensive. The fee is based on the value of the claim. I think the limit is £10,000. I sued Ladbrokes for non payment of rent and they coughed up more or less immediately. The issue fee is roughly 8% going down on a sliding scale. The other side will have to pay you the issue fee if wanting to dispose of the action

Comment

For a money claim, whats the best way to find/verify a tenants address?, I have a tenant in arrears who is still occupying a commercial unit, would the claim best be served to the shop address?

I have multiple home addresses for the tenant and am not confident whether the tenant resides at either of them.

Comment

I believe your duty is to ensure the tenant has notice of the claim being launched therefore in the circumstances you describe you could serve at the business address.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Concessions
                              by comm1985
                              Having been inundated with requests for rent holidays/concessions/relief some which i believe to be genuine but others less so, i wanted to gauge feedback from other landlords on how they approached this and what if any concessions they offered?
                              18-09-2020, 17:14 PM
                            • Reply to Rent Concessions
                              by darkstar
                              Of the 3 that you rejected, are the paying in full?
                              Much of this boils down to what type of business they are. Some are not affected by C19, some were forced to stop trading and some are doing better than before C19. I guess this determines if they feel they should pay the rent or not
                              21-09-2020, 15:58 PM
                            • Freeholder of building with leasehold shop query.
                              by Bertie63
                              Hello,
                              Hoping for some guidance. I own the freehold of a building that I own a flat in. The ground floor is occupied by a shop which oddly has two leases. One lease bought in 1980 by a property management company who have sublet it since then. They say that they also bought the second lease in...
                              06-09-2020, 15:10 PM
                            • Reply to Freeholder of building with leasehold shop query.
                              by Bertie63
                              Thank you. I contacted land registry and found that the property management has acquired the second lease. Now my only question is subletting as I see no provision in the leases. Maybe that isn't necessary?...
                              21-09-2020, 11:49 AM
                            • Reply to Freeholder of building with leasehold shop query.
                              by desamax
                              Have you checked with the Land registry ? If the shop is ona 999 yr lease the rent is normaly a peppercorn. your Man co should collect managment fees and Building insurance, maintanance contrebutions. you realy need to check the lease to see their obligations....
                              20-09-2020, 21:09 PM
                              by comm1985
                              Rejected requests for three tenants, but considering proposing temporary reduction for two long standing tenants. I've tried to take a pragmatic approach so far. I've rejected any request if there is even the slightest feeling i'd be funding tenants lifestyles rather than helping them keep their business...
                              19-09-2020, 21:05 PM
                              by darkstar
                              I didn't approach it , tenants approached me. I offered a reduction which was refused. A month or two later we are putting the finishing touches to a CCJ.
                              How did you approach it?
                              18-09-2020, 21:54 PM
                              by AndrewDod
                              Ask if their energy company, water supplier, city council and local supermarket have offered similar concessions. You will match those by way of a temporary loan.

Strange how only some seem to be needing to be the subject of this facilitated theft encouraged by government....
                              18-09-2020, 18:21 PM
                            • Understanding Usage Classes under the New Order
                              by midlandslandlord
                              A specific case which I will need to put to the Council. I am trying to find out if I now do not need to do a Planning App for Change of Use.

But I would welcome any views first.

I have a Gym in a former business / light industrial premises.

Before we started,...
                              13-09-2020, 22:50 PM
                            • Reply to Understanding Usage Classes under the New Order
                              by flyingfreehold
                              The trouble with asking is that you might get the answer you don't want. Its not the advice an advisor would give you but I'd be inclined just to carry on and hope for the best and be prepared to appeal/ hold petitions./prevail on Councilors if served with an order to discontinue which is fairly un...
                              18-09-2020, 13:01 PM
                            Working...
                            X