aquatics shop and damp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aquatics shop and damp

Hi I rent out a small corner shop which is used as a marine aquatic retail shop there are many fish tanks and many gallons of warm water in there.Condensastion is causing many problems in the flat above (mould damp ) and in the roof space condensing on the roof tiles(I have already fitter 9 tile roof vents to try ventilate the trapped air)and dripping down onto the ceiling below causing damp circles on the ceiling within the flat the loft insulation is also sodden . The guy in the shop is in denial though the problem only started when he started trading .Have any of you guys had a similar problem. relating to this of business? thanks in advance

I used to have an aquatics shop underneath my flat for a period, but only six months or so.
    (Whilst I've lived here it's also been a taxi office, a photo processors, a nail bar, it's now a small local museum and charity shop).

Yes the warm water in the tanks will evaporate and cause condensation problems, and smells, in the flat above.
    The guy in the shop won't see this as a problem, he's used to his shop being damp and doesn't care about the flat above.

TBH the bigger problem for me was all the pumps running 24/7, and air bubbling through the tanks.
    Whilst each one is not that noisy on its own they all add up.

Rentals and aquatics don't go together, he needs to get his own property if he intends to continue.

All you can do is ask/tell him to move on.
    (And then strip out the loft insulation and renew it).

Comment

the problem I'm having is the guy with the shop trading 5 years has moved into the flat above 2 years ago and himself is complaining about the damp caused by his business I have installed all new dg windows (with vents he does not open ) fitted 9 roof vents and he is adamant the condensation is not his fault !!! was hoping to hear from more landlords who had same problem as he is now complaining to council so was looking to prove to them it's a common problem with aquatic shops

Comment

Sorry I can't add any more apart from saying that you should point out to the council that it's his own business downstairs that is causing the problem upstairs.

Point out to the guy that his aquatic business has always been a problem but that he never saw it until he lived above it himself.

Maybe ask him just what he thinks he could do to solve the problem if it was his own property?

Tanking the whole of the downstairs shop might work, but why should you be expected to do, or pay for, that?

Comment

I would very much dout the damp is as a result of the shop. If the ceiling in the shop and your floor is insulated and sealed then there should not be a problem.

Comment

Extractor fan(s) in the shop running 24/7 or with a humidy sensor should help by taking the moist air outside.

Same kind of fan that you would fit in a bathroom.

Comment

yes a warm air extraction system was to be installed originally BUT when he got the quote he backed out because of cost .

Comment

Maybe you should have written the requirement for an extraction system into the lease?

He obviously knew/knows that one is needed or he wouldn't have been getting quotes in the first place.

Bathroom extractor fans are cheap enough and a couple of those should make a big difference.

Comment

I think some thing much more substantial than a bathroom fan is needed after looking on an aquatic forum some are saying that using various tanks around 400 gallon can evaporate 30 to 40 gallons a week (remember this is marine warm water ) anyway new problem is though I have an epc for the shop I forgot to get one for the new tenancy on the flat above as there was a current tenant in the flat when he took the shop on . (now same tenant in shop and flat ) he has picked up on this and is asking for epc which I don't have .he is also unlikely to allow entry if I have one done immediately .the flat is band A any sugestions to get out this fix ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X