Advice wanted please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice wanted please.

Hi to everybody, i have just joined this site, looking for some advice please, we rent a small commercial property, we have let the property to a company, who has just started their second year, we added to the lease, where is says, the renter has 21 days to pay any unpaid rent, we have made that in the new lease to only two days, we did this, as last year, they paid the whole year upfront, but this year want to pay monthly, which we don't have a problem with, we have also told them that, as long as they give us three months notice, we would end the lease, we don't want any hassle, or damage, but there were some concerns the first day that they took the shop on, but has generally been ok since, their communication is not always great, we're afraid that they may stop paying and it will give us back control of the premises early in the case they don't pay us, we have no previous references from their old landlord, and sort of anticipating, if anything goes wrong. my question is, was it ok to make the none payment dates of rent, from 21 days to two days? any help would be great, thank you

Did you create the lease yourself? Or via a solicitor.

if they don’t pay, but give you the property back, I think you are onto a win. It’s when they don’t pay and don’t give you back the property that you need to worry

Comment

There is no reason in the world you cannot mutually agree to whatever grace period you both accept shall apply. In practice what are you going to do as sanction for non payment.
      a Money claim online
      b Bailiff's warrant for "CRAR" ie taking control of tenants goods if they don't cough up
      or
      ultimate sanction
      c. Instruct the bailiffs to peacably re-enter to determine the lease.

Home made leases could potentially be problematic. If you find they stop paying the rent, I suggest you try to gain possession by agreement. The Court will tend to favour a tenant irrespective of the rights and wrongs of a situation, especially where the documentation is not considered to be satisfactory by the Judge. Judges are lawyers and like things like leases to be within legally acceptable norms. Do you have a forfeiture clause, for example?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X