Mines and minerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines and minerals

I hold the rights to both 'mines and minerals,, including coal (now irrelevant of course) but ironstone and all other minerals, albeit entry to the surface not allowed. The site is 31 acres but a developer plans to build at least 50 houses on part of the land. In view of the fact that I apparently own the voids left by the abandoned coal mines does that make it more or less valuable to the developer? The information has come from a 1923 conveyance but have not checked the Land Registry. As usual in a former mining area the Coal Authority recommends a Report.

Less valuable, I'd have thought, as they might have to beef up the foundations?

Comment

I'm not sure that you are liable at all.

You own the rights to extract the minerals under the property, but unless you have extracted them yourself then the responsibility for old workings lies with whoever carried out those workings. (Unless a stupidly worded extraction licence was agreed).

Of course whoever did the extraction may no longer exist.
      It's a problem where I live with old Iron Ore and Coal pits.
      Usually when (not if) one caves in the council pays for thousands of tons of concrete to be pumped down.

Comment

I would have thought less valuable too, especially if the report shows mine workings under where he intends to build.

Comment

Originally posted by TL1970 View Post
          I hold the rights to both 'mines and minerals,, including coal
          I think all coal belongs to the Coal Authority.

Comment

Many thanks for all the comments, but it is my fault for not making it clear that I was concerned about the value, if any, to me. The land is only part of a vast scheme involving thousands of houses in a joint local authority/ private developer plan. Virtually the whole part of 'my' site is over shallow former underground workings, which I gather ceased in the 1920s. I don't think that I would want to live over them, albeit I know nothing about the topic. There remains s shallow coal seam running right across the land. Incidentally. if the voids were created by coal mining that ceased in the 1920s do they belong to the Coal Authority?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to non payment of rent
              by k brown
              ps I must add on his tenancy which is a 12 month minimum term with a 1 month notice which can be given by either side after the initial 12 month .. also he did give me verbal notice in February but has not moved out after receiving the 10k from the gov but did reconfirm in april he would bemoving...
              04-07-2020, 08:27 AM
            • non payment of rent
              by k brown
              Hi all I have a commercial tenant refusing to pay rent he is approaching 3 months arrears he is actually still trading with stock in shop and admitted hes going to continue not paying .can I have bailiffs sieze/ list goods in Liu of rent during this covid period or has the law changed ?
              03-07-2020, 10:04 AM
              by k brown
              marine aquatic so fish tanks expensive commercial filtration system and usual pumps and accessories for retail...
              04-07-2020, 08:20 AM
            • Covid rent strike
              by superstardeejay
              We have a commercial tenant who stopped paying the rent in February. He says since his business is not earning a profit due to lockdown, he does not have to pay the rent, can't pay the rent and won't pay the rent. He says he is legally entitled to do this because the government have banned landlords...
              19-06-2020, 07:30 AM
            • Reply to Covid rent strike
              by Jon66
              Answering my own question, it's because it's quite expensive with no guarantee of recovering anything. Unless you know they own something of value. Like a house, in which case they probably wouldn't be renting, but might be useful in very limited circumstances.
              03-07-2020, 23:37 PM
            • Commercial tenant 4 months in arrears. Can I evict him?
              by leonman1
              I have a commercial tenant who owes us 4 months of rent. At one point he told me he was applying for a government grant so required a document from me stating his contract was taken out PRIOR to Covid.

His shop has been closed for about 2 months but he has opened now. He tends to ignore...
              01-07-2020, 14:37 PM
            • Reply to Commercial tenant 4 months in arrears. Can I evict him?
              by Huntsman
              There is a moratorium on forfeiture until September. If the tenant is in arrears of 189 days worth of rent you may use CRAR to seek to recover your arrears. My advice would be to not take it personal, most landlords are not collecting rent, and that includes myself....
              03-07-2020, 21:47 PM
              by Huntsman
              No. At one point during lock down this remedy was available if the there was 90 days rent outstanding. I advised my client to do so, and enforcement agents attended and we were able to recover the full quarters rent. The government has recently amended this so that CRAR is unavailable unless there is...
              03-07-2020, 21:42 PM
              by Jon66
              Yes I second issuing a statutory demand, focusses their mind. I don't know why we don't all do it when we have rent arrears over 750. Anybody know?
              02-07-2020, 10:55 AM
              by Logical.Lean
              Is he a sole trader or a LTD company.

if a sole trader you may find it more fun to push through a bankruptcy order.

if LTD you can apply for a winding up order.

it might not get the rent arrears paid, it might not get him evicted (that might be a separate action),...
              02-07-2020, 07:48 AM
            Working...
            X