Mines and minerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines and minerals

I hold the rights to both 'mines and minerals,, including coal (now irrelevant of course) but ironstone and all other minerals, albeit entry to the surface not allowed. The site is 31 acres but a developer plans to build at least 50 houses on part of the land. In view of the fact that I apparently own the voids left by the abandoned coal mines does that make it more or less valuable to the developer? The information has come from a 1923 conveyance but have not checked the Land Registry. As usual in a former mining area the Coal Authority recommends a Report.

Less valuable, I'd have thought, as they might have to beef up the foundations?

Comment

I'm not sure that you are liable at all.

You own the rights to extract the minerals under the property, but unless you have extracted them yourself then the responsibility for old workings lies with whoever carried out those workings. (Unless a stupidly worded extraction licence was agreed).

Of course whoever did the extraction may no longer exist.
      It's a problem where I live with old Iron Ore and Coal pits.
      Usually when (not if) one caves in the council pays for thousands of tons of concrete to be pumped down.

Comment

I would have thought less valuable too, especially if the report shows mine workings under where he intends to build.

Comment

Originally posted by TL1970 View Post
          I hold the rights to both 'mines and minerals,, including coal
          I think all coal belongs to the Coal Authority.

Comment

Many thanks for all the comments, but it is my fault for not making it clear that I was concerned about the value, if any, to me. The land is only part of a vast scheme involving thousands of houses in a joint local authority/ private developer plan. Virtually the whole part of 'my' site is over shallow former underground workings, which I gather ceased in the 1920s. I don't think that I would want to live over them, albeit I know nothing about the topic. There remains s shallow coal seam running right across the land. Incidentally. if the voids were created by coal mining that ceased in the 1920s do they belong to the Coal Authority?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X