Who pays business rates - landlord or tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who pays business rates - landlord or tenant

I only have residential property so far, however I am thinking of getting a commercial property. Which is split between an office premises and a flat.

Who pays the business rates? Would I pay as the landlord or does the tenant?

Are there any other costs linked to owning the building other than insurance, maintenance and mortgage as with a residential property?

Thanks

Tenant in my case. They can often apply for small business rates relief - sometimes 100% rebate. Of course if the property is empty the LL pays...
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      Tenant in my case. They can often apply for small business rates relief - sometimes 100% rebate. Of course if the property is empty the LL pays...
      Thanks, and if it's empty and the L/lord ends up paying, is there any relief for the l/land too?

Comment

I guess the usual small business rates relief rules apply - depends on RV and how many properties you have!

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-busines...ss-rate-relief

You can get small business rate relief if:
        • your property’s rateable value is less than £15,000
        • your business only uses one property - you may still be able to get relief if you use more
        Remember that who pays is down to what you put in the letting contract with your tenant - make the tenant liable in the agreement.
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          Remember that who pays is down to what you put in the letting contract with your tenant - make the tenant liable in the agreement.
          This tends to be the correct answer to most questions on this forum (the whole forum, not just this sub-forum) where the question is "Who pays X?"

The exception would be where legislation has been introduced that over-rules clauses in a contract.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X