Tenant has no lease, paying no rent but wont leave.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant has no lease, paying no rent but wont leave.

Im a landlord of a commercial property in Liverpool. My current tenant has been in the property for around 15 years. He originally had a lease in his first limited company name back 15 years ago. After around 7 years he dissolved his company and created a new limited company and carried on trading without a lease. He had some difficulties at home so the rent began to come in bits and bobs. I asked him around 2-3 years ago if he would like a new lease and he would have to stick to paying full rent and on time but he refused. He basically operated as a caretaker to the building as he said he didn't want to carry the business on. I have found a new tenant and agreed terms for them to take over beginning of this month but my current tenant is now refusing to leave. I have now found out the current tenant has dissolved his second limited company and opened a new one in July 18 with a business partner ( I think he has bought into the business ). They are now saying they have security of tenure which I think is wrong as for 1 they have no lease and 2 its a new company formed without my knowing. Any advice on this would be much appreciated as I feel he is using my kindness for weakness along with my age! Thank you.

I'm not qualified to answer this at all. I can only share my experience. I have trouble getting my commercial tenants to sign a new lease each time and sometimes they are "between leases" because they don't get around to it. I was told by my solicitor, when the lease ends, if the tenant stays - they stay on under the same terms as the previous lease.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X