Service charge invoices issued by landlord nearly 3 years late.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service charge invoices issued by landlord nearly 3 years late.

We have a 20 year LTA 1954 commercial lease for a basement in a mixed use building comprising retail units, basement storage unit and multiple residential units which are rented by the landlord.
    The lease requires an service charge to be paid quarterly based on our fair proportion of the service charge costs of the common area.
    • At the end of the service charge year the lease states that the
      Landlord shall prepare and send to the Tenant a certificate showing the Service Costs and the Service Charge for that Service Charge Year. The certificate shall be in accordance with the service charge accounts prepared by the independent accountants of the Landlord. If any cost is omitted from the calculation of the Service Charge in any Service Charge Year, the Landlord shall be entitled to include it in the estimate and certificate of the Service Charge in any following Service Charge Year. Otherwise, and except in the case of manifest error, the Service Charge certificate shall be conclusive as to all matters of fact to which it refers
    • The lease commenced in late 2015 and up until April 2019 we have not received any certificate, statement, invoice or letter regarding the service charge. But this week we have received invoices for the service charge dating back to 2016, 2017 and 2018.​​​​​​​
    • The invoices:
      • include items not stated in the lease under the Services to be charged.
      • do not show how the charges are apportioned
    Where do we stand with these service charge invoices?

The below applies on residential properties, I would seek advise and see if this could apply to you. Someone more clued up on here might know? best of luck to you.

‘Under Section 20B of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, a landlord has 18 months within which to notify you of service charge costs being incurred or demand payment from you. If they fail to either notify you or demand payment within 18 months they will not be able to recover the charges from you.’

Comment

Unfortunately, commercial tenants don't have the same protections as residential tenants and I don't think that the protection afforded by L&T Act 1985, section 20B applies.

For commercial tenants it will likely come down to the precise wording of the lease, and this may allow for late demands (the lease for the convenience store under my flat does).
      The text that you quote does not say that the service charge demand has to be provided within any particular time limit.

As for the method of proportionment used, have you asked how this was determined?
      The freeholder/landlord will be able to decide how to split the service charges if your lease only states "a reasonable proportion", but they will need to be able to justify how the method they choose, and there is no good reason for them not to tell you how they apportioned the charges.

Comment

Even residential leaseholders can be billed late, as long as they were made aware of the expenditure within 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          Even residential leaseholders can be billed late, as long as they were made aware of the expenditure within 18 months.
          Indeed.
          They do need to be made aware of the amount that the freeholder intends to recover as service charges before 18 months have passed though.
          Commercial leaseholders don't automatically have this protection and can potentially be billed for charges from several years earlier and be expected to find the money to pay straight away.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Commercial tenant wants to change lease terms on renewal
            by Annellis
            Hi. Could you please help. My commercial tenant is about to renew his lease. He currently runs a cafe/restaurant and has asked also to include retail use and subletting. This was excluded from the previous lease. The restaurant has living accommodation above which is accessed through the restaurant....
            08-12-2019, 20:39 PM
          • Reply to Commercial tenant wants to change lease terms on renewal
            by Flashback1966
            I don't claim to be an expert, but cafe/restaurant will usually command more due to a business class.

What happens, if assigns the retail part to Fred Ltd. He rents out the flat to Sally. But they don't pay the rent on the retail. Can you claim the 'whole' of it back both the shop and...
            09-12-2019, 22:53 PM
          • How to divide costs in communal spaces
            by DL2019
            I am a freeholder and organising the redecoration of the communal areas. All flats are buy-to-let, except for one which is owner occupied. That owner has stated that they will paint the areas, and provide paint / materials, all for a fixed fee. When I bill all the leaseholders for the work - will it...
            08-12-2019, 23:43 PM
          • Reply to How to divide costs in communal spaces
            by Flashback1966
            You need to get a quote from the leaseholder doing the work (as a contractor). Lets say it is £400 for the block. You should divide that equally (or as per division stated in the lease). Assuming there are 4 flats, everyone will contribute £100 each. You then need to give the leaseholder (contractor)...
            09-12-2019, 22:43 PM
            by leaseholder64
            That's either a service charge or falsely demanding money. Either the lease allows you to do it, in which case it is a service charge, or it doesn't , in which case no-one needs to pay. The insurance is also a service charge.
            09-12-2019, 22:38 PM
            by DL2019
            OK thanks. There is no service charge, I just invoice all the leaseholders equally for any costs throughout the year. I was advised by someone else that this person would have to pay the equal share, irrespective of the fact that they are doing the work themselves (solely because he is available, and...
            09-12-2019, 21:34 PM
          • Dormant Management Co taking legal action.
            by GJW68
            I own the freehold of one of 10 commercial properties on a site and my neighbour owns his.
            The other 8 are owned by another company. There is a lease for each property that deals with the shared areas.

There are 10 shares in the management company (SAMC) formed to manage the site...
            09-12-2019, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to Dormant Management Co taking legal action.
            by AndrewDod
            I am no expert on commercial property - but yes, I think you will find that the individual with 8 of the 10 shares in the company can pretty much do whatever he likes (within the law - which only prevents some sorts of thefts and abuses). If you sue you will in effect be taking legal action against...
            09-12-2019, 17:07 PM
          • Reply to Interest on arrears
            by CANADA576
            I think we all know why they do this.

Leave interest on arrears to accumulate for as many years as possible, then try it on and go for a claim.

Clever but rather immoral.

If the interest was important/vital to the landlord, would they just leave it for years or...
            09-12-2019, 13:29 PM
          • Interest on arrears
            by CANADA576
            Hi All,

This is my first post, hope you can help.
            I have a lock up shop and have had the lease for many years.
            The parade of shops I am in is the worst you will ever find, however I have established a business against all the odds.
            I am on an S25 notice and have 4 months...
            06-12-2019, 00:55 AM
          Working...
          X