Tennant wants to split premises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tennant wants to split premises

I rent a commercial premises to a high street retailer. At the moment the retailer is enjoying a rent free period. They have asked if they can split the current premises to accommodate another retailer, which is part of their group. I was wondering if anyone is aware of potential issues with allowing them to do this? I’m also wondering if you think it would be reasonable to ask that the rent free period is reduced, in exchange for letting them make this alteration to the premises? Thanks in advance for any comment/guidance you can offer.

This is very much a property specific question. You need to take the advice of a commercial property surveyor.

Comment

get the TENANT (two N's not three) to Surrender the existing lease and take two leases. That way if they sell off the other retailer which is at present part of the same group, you are not left with a mess. Most well drawn modern commercial leases (including the Law Society Preprinted one) have an absolute bar of underletting of part.

If you want to be really nice, tell them that you would enter into a licence so long as your costs are paid such that so long as the other retailer remains part of the same group of companies as defined by the Companies Act you have no objection to the premises being physically divided, and on the basis that bythe end of the tenancy you aqre entitled to have the premises reinstated as at present. Don't agree to anything without formal documentation. Everything must be marked " strictly subject to formal licence"

Comment

Whether the OP grants two leases has to depend on whether he wants to have the right to require any partition to be removed. Also, the question is whether on review the rental value is higher letting as one or two units. There are any number of valuation questions to be considered which is why the OP should consult a surveyor.

Comment

Several things come to mind. First of all alienation - is there a group sharing provision in the lease? If there is then subject to complying with the terms of the clause it may be permitted. The tenant would likely still need to work with you assuming a normal alterations clause.

Given the state of the high street, to me it would seem churlish to not consider this seriously. Generally two shops are worth more than one larger shops due to the effect of quantum. If there is no group sharing provision I would be tempted to allow it, subject to an uplift in rent, and reinstatement at the end of the lease.

Do bear in mind covenant strength and how likely it is that you will see the retailer through to the end of their lease, given the high street uncertainties.

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone who have been kind enough to provide advice. I'll be consulting a surveyor and will bear in mind all of the advice given.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is a flat conversion above shop a good option?
              midlandslandlord
              I'm after some comments on a possible conversion of a flat above a business

The property is in a parade of shops in a former village community on the outskirts of town in a small parade of shops. Most are long established local businesses - ours in a hairdresser where the T has been there...
              23-08-2019, 02:28 AM
            • Reply to Is a flat conversion above shop a good option?
              doobrey
              The yield sounds very healthy and mixed use is generally tax efficient, so seems like a good idea.
              24-08-2019, 10:16 AM
            • TOGC and VAT
              doobrey
              I am looking quite seriously at buying a commercial property, which would be my first one. It is elected for VAT so it would be critical to structure the purchase such that VAT was not payable on the purchase price.

As such my understanding is that it must be done as a Transfer Of a Going...
              24-08-2019, 08:31 AM
            • Quick turnaround lease
              ladybreaker
              Hello there, In the past I have had drafted lease for all my commercial property but something new has been pointed out to me that if the tenancy if below seven years A quick turn around lease can be use, its quick and cheaper. I asked this to my usual solicitors and never herd about it I try to make...
              23-08-2019, 20:04 PM
            • Reply to Quick turnaround lease
              Lawcruncher
              I think the RICS has a model form of lease for small retail premises. The reference to seven years probably refers to the fact that leases for over seven years need to be registered. One-size-fits-all leases are probably adequate for the majority of cases where the term is short and the premises are...
              23-08-2019, 22:07 PM
            • Reply to Is a flat conversion above shop a good option?
              desamax
              Is there a market for 1 beds in the village, you could convert and sell the flat leasehold, this could give you a lump sum up front. But if your looking at BTLs and there is a strong chance of letting the Upper for 4K + pa you won’t get a better yield than the conversion cost....
              23-08-2019, 16:07 PM
            • garage lease
              hsa1
              Hi All,

What is the average ball park figure for a lease length for a garage in London. it has its own title deed. If the lease is around 20 years remaining. is it as simple as applying for a lease extension , or can the freeholder withhold?

thank you
              18-08-2019, 13:22 PM
            • Reply to garage lease
              hsa1
              After the lease ends the freeholder may not wish to extend it and if so it will become their property? if for arguments sake the lease is 20 years remaining (unsure what the average is for a garage) and I have yet to purchase the garage, is it best to agree on extension before purchase?

18-08-2019, 21:43 PM
            • Reply to garage lease
              AndrewDod
              You have no statutory rights here at all (it is not a residential property). So it is matter of asking for a price and agreeing that, if you get agreement, otherwise there is nil you can do. In 20 years it will case to be your lease controlled garage....
              18-08-2019, 17:34 PM
            • Authorised Guarantee Agreement
              Bounce
              Hi

2.5 years ago, I sold a leasehold business and assigned the lease to the new people, I had to sign an AGA.

I hear last week somebody else has now purchased the business, I would assume the lease has been assigned to the new people and therefore my liability has been released......
              18-08-2019, 14:06 PM
            Working...
            X