End of lease dilapidation costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of lease dilapidation costs

Would you consider £1,600 reasonable for a dilapidations report for a 1200 sq ft light industrial unit? Surveyor was there about 2 hours. Also solicitors costs are tbc for serving the report - any thoughts on a reasonable amount would be gratefully received. So far estimates of costs they have put in seem to be on the high side.

Considering the surveyor came in and said what good condition it was in (refurbed throughout 18 months ago), and said someone would be able to move in straight away it has come as a bit of a shock that their estimated costs have come in at more than a year's rent. Now I know why previous neighbouring tenant was so cross as same thing happened to him but unit was let out as it was and no doubt the current tenant will get the same when he leaves.

Duration of the inspection is only part of it. The surveyor also has to prepare the schedule possibly including costings and liaise with the solicitors prior to service. Time too for travelling to and from the premises. Time passes: about 2 hours on-site could easily become about 6 hours in total which equates to about £250 an hour. To my mind, not unreasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord HVAC Repair Clause
      askelley
      Our company is a startup in Birmingham, AL in it's second year of business, though we are more than a year from making money. The landlord is a large corporation that owns very large amounts of premier commercial property.

We rented one of their properties in November 2018, fixed up the...
      15-04-2019, 19:08 PM
    • Fire Safety common parts above a commercial unit
      desamax
      Hi again

would my tenant be liable to contribute for the fire safety of the separate common areas of the upper residential flats, that has a separate entrance and only serves the flats.

our lease states .....

"we are not liable for any charges attributable...
      12-04-2019, 15:26 PM
    • Landlord selling & wants us out
      stosirhc1
      Hi.
      I can't seem to find the answers to my questions despite spending several hours trawling Google.

We current occupy a retail unit and have done for the last 4 years. When we moved in we didn't sign a lease, it was fairly informal, we just paid the deposit of 1 months rent along...
      06-01-2019, 10:36 AM
    • Reply to Landlord selling & wants us out
      Lawcruncher
      Your tenancy definitely comes within Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. The landlord can only end it on one of the statutory grounds after serving a section 25 notice. The grounds are explained here: https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/lease-quit-2

There is no reason why you should...
      05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
    • the Lawyer of next door freholder
      georgi
      Hellow I have recived below from a layer who repersent next door land lord .
      " we are aware that the extension to your s property appears to be unsafe and may also encroach on our client’s land and we have genuine concerns as to the same." My extentionis egale
      should I do it...
      04-04-2019, 13:28 PM
    • Tennant wants to split premises
      Jeff21
      I rent a commercial premises to a high street retailer. At the moment the retailer is enjoying a rent free period. They have asked if they can split the current premises to accommodate another retailer, which is part of their group. I was wondering if anyone is aware of potential issues with allowing...
      27-03-2019, 10:34 AM
    • Reply to Tennant wants to split premises
      Jeff21
      Thanks so much to everyone who have been kind enough to provide advice. I'll be consulting a surveyor and will bear in mind all of the advice given.
      02-04-2019, 09:40 AM
      davidjpowell
      Several things come to mind. First of all alienation - is there a group sharing provision in the lease? If there is then subject to complying with the terms of the clause it may be permitted. The tenant would likely still need to work with you assuming a normal alterations clause.

Given...
      30-03-2019, 12:41 PM
      Lawcruncher
      Whether the OP grants two leases has to depend on whether he wants to have the right to require any partition to be removed. Also, the question is whether on review the rental value is higher letting as one or two units. There are any number of valuation questions to be considered which is why the OP...
      28-03-2019, 21:25 PM
      flyingfreehold
      get the TENANT (two N's not three) to Surrender the existing lease and take two leases. That way if they sell off the other retailer which is at present part of the same group, you are not left with a mess. Most well drawn modern commercial leases (including the Law Society Preprinted one) have an absolute...
      28-03-2019, 19:52 PM
    Working...
    X