I've decided the rent rise- when should you start it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided the rent rise- when should you start it

Hi, I have sorted out a reasonable rent rise, the current 5 year lease ends in 2021, is it normal to start any new rent at the start date of the new/renewed lease or is it started from the day you just decide you want it to start? Thankyou

Hi 2018 entry, in the absence of an outstanding (or forthcoming) rent review the rent will be fixed for the contractual term of the existing lease.

The forthcoming task of lease renewal upon expiry of the existing lease, and the rent payable post expiry of the existing lease, will depend on whether you (I) take steps to renew the existing lease, usually using the s.25 procedure in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, or (ii) let the old lease roll forward beyond the expiry date (i.e. simply keep accepting rent).

The s.25 procedure will allow you to propose a new rent, and the Tenant to make a counter proposal, recourse to an expert or to the Court is possible in default of agreement.

If you let the tenancy roll (assuming the tenant does not leave at the end of its lease), then there is a "periodic tenancy" what will run on the same terms as before. The s.25 procedure remains available against a period tenancy.

Andrew Orme

Comment

I don't understand the op's question, let alone Mr Orme's answer.

The op has sorted out a rent rise. Is it a rise from a rent review or start of a lease renewal? I would assume a rent review because the current 5 year lease ends in 2021 which means it started in 2016. Assuming a rent review, the start date is the review date (unless another date is specified in the lease).

If a renewal then whether the rent riseis backdated to the the expiry of the oild lease is a matter of agreement with the other party. If there is no agreement to that effect then it would start from whatever other date is agreed.

If LTA54 procedures are involved then the start date is also a matter of agreement unless the renewal is ordered by the court in which case the start date is approximately 6 weeks after the substantive hearing date. Between expiry of the old lease and start of the renewal lease, an interim rent would be payable. The interim rent is either the same as the new rent or a lower or higher amount depending upon whether it can be proved that the rent at the expiry date would have been lower or higher.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord HVAC Repair Clause
        askelley
        Our company is a startup in Birmingham, AL in it's second year of business, though we are more than a year from making money. The landlord is a large corporation that owns very large amounts of premier commercial property.

We rented one of their properties in November 2018, fixed up the...
        15-04-2019, 19:08 PM
      • Fire Safety common parts above a commercial unit
        desamax
        Hi again

would my tenant be liable to contribute for the fire safety of the separate common areas of the upper residential flats, that has a separate entrance and only serves the flats.

our lease states .....

"we are not liable for any charges attributable...
        12-04-2019, 15:26 PM
      • Landlord selling & wants us out
        stosirhc1
        Hi.
        I can't seem to find the answers to my questions despite spending several hours trawling Google.

We current occupy a retail unit and have done for the last 4 years. When we moved in we didn't sign a lease, it was fairly informal, we just paid the deposit of 1 months rent along...
        06-01-2019, 10:36 AM
      • Reply to Landlord selling & wants us out
        Lawcruncher
        Your tenancy definitely comes within Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. The landlord can only end it on one of the statutory grounds after serving a section 25 notice. The grounds are explained here: https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/lease-quit-2

There is no reason why you should...
        05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
      • the Lawyer of next door freholder
        georgi
        Hellow I have recived below from a layer who repersent next door land lord .
        " we are aware that the extension to your s property appears to be unsafe and may also encroach on our client’s land and we have genuine concerns as to the same." My extentionis egale
        should I do it...
        04-04-2019, 13:28 PM
      • Tennant wants to split premises
        Jeff21
        I rent a commercial premises to a high street retailer. At the moment the retailer is enjoying a rent free period. They have asked if they can split the current premises to accommodate another retailer, which is part of their group. I was wondering if anyone is aware of potential issues with allowing...
        27-03-2019, 10:34 AM
      • Reply to Tennant wants to split premises
        Jeff21
        Thanks so much to everyone who have been kind enough to provide advice. I'll be consulting a surveyor and will bear in mind all of the advice given.
        02-04-2019, 09:40 AM
        davidjpowell
        Several things come to mind. First of all alienation - is there a group sharing provision in the lease? If there is then subject to complying with the terms of the clause it may be permitted. The tenant would likely still need to work with you assuming a normal alterations clause.

Given...
        30-03-2019, 12:41 PM
        Lawcruncher
        Whether the OP grants two leases has to depend on whether he wants to have the right to require any partition to be removed. Also, the question is whether on review the rental value is higher letting as one or two units. There are any number of valuation questions to be considered which is why the OP...
        28-03-2019, 21:25 PM
        flyingfreehold
        get the TENANT (two N's not three) to Surrender the existing lease and take two leases. That way if they sell off the other retailer which is at present part of the same group, you are not left with a mess. Most well drawn modern commercial leases (including the Law Society Preprinted one) have an absolute...
        28-03-2019, 19:52 PM
      Working...
      X